SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why I Became a Calvinist

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hiltz2o

Why I Became a Calvinist

I was once a Oneness Pentecostal preacher but God led me out of that religion. Slowly over time God also dealt with me about the Hyper-Arminian viewpoints I had carried over from that religion. Today I have accepted the Doctrines of Grace. I did a short testimony video about this and posted it on my YouTube channel if anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/zhoyRSbyXec

2012/10/12 14:31Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Why I Became a Calvinist

Hi Jeremy, thanks for testimony.

And now we go on into the deeper things of Christ' "Perfection."

If my father had not placed the corruptable seed in my mother I would be none of theirs.

Now to be able to worship God in Spirit, Word and Truth, My Heavenly Father has placed in me the incorruptable Seed of the living Word Jesus Christ, and I am His, He lives in me and by His Spirit I, even I have become a son of God by Jesus Christ the incorruptable Seed of the Father rebirthed in me by Grace through Faith.

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. Word, "logos" Jesus Christ Himself the Living Word in the born again.

Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

In Christ walking after the Spirit. Amen

No incorruptable Seed, no salvation, none of His.

Romans 8:9-10 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

"The Mystery"; "Christ in you the hope of glory."

Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

Absolutely the epitomy of God's whole plan, working in Christ and through Christ to the Church which is the Body of Christ;

"It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me".

Galatians 2:19-21 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

This is going on into the "Perfection"

Hebrews 6:1-2 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

But of New life in Christ Jesus who lives in me and has brought the Father to make their abode with me, and given me the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth of all the things that Jesus has done, is doing and will do in me, the Holy Spirit not speaking of Himself but only of what Jesus has said and will do in my life, brought to light by the supernatural teaching power of the Holy Spirit.

We speak of resurrection, well Christ has resurrected by the power of the Holy Spirit and the command of God His Father. where He now sits with us in Him and Him in us, at the right hand of the Father in the heavenlies.

Praise God for Paul's gospel given him direct by Jesus Christ, bringing us to the full purpose of God in Christ Jesus, even before the foundation of the world.
Word fail me. All I can do is marvel, gasp, weep and in great wonder, praise God for His Son and what He did for me''''all that have the Faith of Jesus Christ in them.

Ephesians 1:1-6 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

And the penicle of the Word of God; Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Eph 1:2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
Eph 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Eph 1:8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
Eph 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Eph 1:16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
Eph 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

then Eph 3 and the the whole of Eph

Praise God For you brother, Calvin is a pretty good beginning to the Going on into Perfection of Christ Jesus.
The Holy Spirit must do the rest, now and through all eternity.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/10/13 5:19Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Dear Brother,

On this issue I believe that we over-complexize it every time we attach a long string of doctrinal theological beliefs. Paul the Apostle never does this though he was capable intellectually to explain every mode and nuance of salvation. Rather he makes it crystal clear how simple salvation is to define.

CHRIST IN YOU IS THE MESSAGE OF THE GOSPEL

Colossians 1:27: "To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which[d] is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Colossians 1:28: "Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus."

CHRIST IN YOU FREES YOU FROM SIN

Romans 8:10: "And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness."

CHRIST IN YOU IS YOUR ETERNAL SECURITY

2 Corinthians 13:5: "Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified."

The apostles saw the Gospel as a person: The Lord Jesus Christ not simply a doctrinal string of points. Such thinking would have been foreign to the apostles. So from my vantage point I do not see 2, 3, 4 or more options theologically, I see only one and that is the Person of Jesus Christ Himself. Him is whom we must believe, he is a living Son of God and by His Spirit He indwells us and gives us life and directs us. Though we also have the written word of God without the Spirit of God directing us we will still not be able to obey or hear God's voice and direction.

I also wanted to express that on these forums we encourage people not to discuss calvinism / arminism because these discussions almost always lead to debating, strife, and confusion in the saints. There are many discussion forums on the internet that are geared towards these discussions, so we ask for further discussions on the site not to be centred around these topics.

2012/10/13 11:24Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

When I was a young Christian I was amazed when I first met a Christian from another church and they asked what type of Christian are you..

I was confused and all I could reply was "there is only one type"

This same attitude I have kept, what makes me a Christian it is simply this "Christ lives in me"

2012/10/13 11:47Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I was confused and all I could reply was "there is only one type"

This same attitude I have kept, what makes me a Christian it is simply this "Christ lives in me"

AMEN BROTHER.

2012/10/13 11:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
When I was a young Christian I was amazed when I first met a Christian from another church and they asked what type of Christian are you..

That is still a good and valid question to ask.

Paul said to a group of men that he met on the way if they had received the Holy Ghost since they believed?

We don't have that question being asked, we just assume that everyone that receives Christ has.

I was asked by a Charismatic (Catholic) what type of Christian I was, I answered like Murrcolr. But later on in life, I began to understand the importance of asking it. NOT everyone that calls themselves Christian are Christian. We will want to know when things get tight for us that we can't fellowship with just anyone that says that they are Christian when in fact they are informers.

Muslims think that all Americans are Christians.

There are many protestant churches that think that the Pope is a Christian and that all Catholics are Christian.

Then you have the Baptist that reject the baptism of the Holy Spirit and then you have the Pentecostals that embrace it. This is why the question is asked. I am Pentecostal by experience and I talk to my Baptist brethren differently than I would a person who embraces the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I can't talk about the experiences of speaking in tongues to my Baptist brother he'd look at me strange. I want to fellowship not debate.

2012/10/13 12:14
Josef83

Sweden

Re: Why I Became a Calvinist

Thats great.
Before I tried to escape calvinism. But I could not no mather how much I wanted.
God opend my eyes.
Today I embrace the doctrines of grace and the thing that opended my mind was eph 1:4-5 and acts 13:48
All burdens were gone. All stiving to "please God" was gone.
Its impossible to please God because bible say if you even sin once you are guilty of all laws.

http://youtu.be/a6Huy7Fonv4

2012/10/13 12:41Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Before I tried to escape calvinism. But I could not no mather how much I wanted. God opend my eyes.

I hope God does it again..

For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? 1 Cor 3:4

Who then is Calvin, but a minister by whom ye believed in Christ.

Don't lose the focus "Christ in me"

2012/10/13 14:45Profile

Re:

In restricted nations where one has an encounter with the living Christ. Tbe choice one makes is to follow Jesus Christ not John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius or any other theological leader. The focus is on Jesus. Thus out of the restricted nations comes tbe persecuted church. Those that follow Jesus. Not the persecuted Calvinist. But persecuted saints of God.

At tbe end of 1 Cor.1 Paul says it is by God's doing one is in Christ Jesus. Jesus has become for us our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Thus our boast be in Jesus Christ, in the Lord for what he has done. For surely Calvin did not die for our sins but only Jesus.

Our walk with Christ should not be defined by our doctrine. But by Jesus dwelling in us and he manifesting his fruit through our lives.

Bearmaster.

2012/10/13 15:06

Re:

Calvin did not come up with Calvinism. He articulated what was already taught and believed from long ago in ancient times. The "5-points of Calvinism" were not even articulated by Calvin... he had already been dead for a while. Even in the 1st and 2nd century those who taught against election were labeled heretics by many of the church fathers many here hold near and dear.

What is now commonly referred to as "Reformed" theology has been taught in the church since the 1st century. It was never truly challenged until the 1500's, and it became a large part of the rebellion against the Roman Catholic cult. Luther taught Reformed Theology before Calvin was on the scene.

I do hold to Reformed Theology... but not because of Calvin, or Luther or ANYONE. I believe in Reformed Theology because I find it to be Biblical Theology. I dont have pics of Calvin in my home. If Calvin had not articulated Reformed Theology the way he did, someone else would have. It's that simple. He was a man, and an imperfect man at that. So was Luther. So were the anabaptist. So were (insert name here).

I follow Jesus and Jesus alone, Bearmaster.

I find it insulting, belittling, dismissive and arrogant for you to characterize those you disagree with as worshipping Calvin and not Christ.

You said:

Quote:
Our walk with Christ should not be defined by our doctrine.

What? Seriously? You believe this? How many times did Paul command believers to teach and know sound doctrine? How can you even know who Jesus is without an understanding of sound doctrine?

It's cool today to say "I dont believe in any doctrine or theology... I just follow Jesus!" ...and then belittle people that do teach and adhere to sound doctrine and call them pharisees.

Some call it cool, the Bible calls it foolish.

You are right about demonstrating the fruits of the Spirit in our daily lives. Absolutely! We agree there. In fact, my Mormon neighbors exhibit the best fruits! Better than more Christians I know!

But without sound doctrine they are as lost as Adolf Hitler was/is.

There has to be a balance between doctrine/theological knowledge AND the fruits of the Spirit. If you throw either one out you have nothing. Most Christians who throw out doctrine/theology in favor of "follow Jesus only" do so because they are lazy. It's hard work!

Now... since I just came out in favor of Reformed Theology, watch this thread get locked.

Krispy

2012/11/2 10:15

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy