SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ravenhill's promoting of Charles G. Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Hiltz2o

Ravenhill's promoting of Charles G. Finney

I am troubled by Leonard Ravenhill's promotion of heretical teachers like Charles G. Finney and particularly the notorious false teacher Paul Cain (Ravenhill mentions him in the 88 Revival conference I believe). Ravenhill also promotes George Fox the mystic behind the Quaker religion.

I find it very concerning that Ravenhill promoted these people so strongly in his sermons. Its not that he is passively commenting on these men. He actively promoted them. Ravenhill even wrote the forward on some of Finney's books when they were reissued in the 80's.

Any thoughts?

2012/10/12 14:26Profile
jdlashley

South Carolina

Re: Ravenhill's promoting of Charles G. Finney

I am somewhat sad to hear that. If I am not mistaken, wasn't Ravenhill Arminian? If so, do you think he simply overlooked Finney's pelagianism or didn't see it at all?

2012/10/12 14:31Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I would recommend looking carefully through the thread below as we have discussed this subject soberly in the past.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=31659&forum=35&start=10&viewmode=flat&order=0

2012/10/12 15:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

What grieves me is when brothers can mention a name of a proment brother who was used of the Lord and in a few statements discredit and malign their name. I am not accusing the brother that started this post for directly doing that, but in the past this has happened quite a few times.

I would really encourage brothers and sisters to read the history of brethren such as George Fox, I personally read through most of the collected Works of George Fox a 9 volume set with over 200 pages. I believe he was a prophet in england where reformed principles and ecclesiastical religion where at a height yet at the same time there was a dearth of the holy Spirit's working and men where doing ministry for mammon. George Fox preached heavily against serving Christ for coins and ware. Such admonitions are needed also in our day of professional preachers in North America.

Here is a pensketch of the life of George Fox that I wrote and encourage all saints on this site to read it: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=27157

John Bunyan though opposed the quakers early on, once he spent time in jail with some of these brethren realized they were that in fact, brethren!

Paul Cain though not associated well in our day God did use at some points in his ministry, I would not commend his ministry either especially to the fact of how the vineyard and charismatic movement has worked out in the last 20 years.

As for Charles Finney, those who have been more mature in their walk with Christ though opposing some of the doctrinal stands have commended Finney as a man of God and used powerfully of God.

God's ways are above our ways and His thoughts above our thoughts.

2012/10/12 15:20Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, as i considered len to be a close friend, i saw a trait in len that i do not see in a lot of people today. he looked for Jesus in the life of someone like me or finney or others people might question and if he saw Jesus then he would fellowship with us. we did not ever take a doctrine test to be a friend. i was a raving calvanist when we were fellowshiping and he was coming to my home to minister. why would we ever pass on a man Jesus lived in mightally?jimp one of his statements i will never forget is that many know the bible of God:but not the God of the bible.

2012/10/12 19:05Profile

Re:

Sound exhortaion Brother Robert!

2012/10/12 20:27
proudpapa

Re: Ravenhill's promoting of Charles G. Finney

Hi Hiltz2o, I would highly recommend you to listen to Keith Daniel The Tightrope Walker!! - Calvinism vs. Arminianism

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=19110

2012/10/12 22:36Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What is the story behind Finney and Fox as far as them being wrong. What did they preach that is wrong? Is it the way of salvation? Is it who God is? Or something else?

2012/10/12 22:44Profile
therick2018

Re:

Charles G Finney taught that men could regenerate themselves. His teachings had a major negative influence on the Church in the 1800's. Iain Murray authored a book entitled "Revival and Revivalism" which describes the history of genuine revival in America prior to the 1800's and the corruption that came in during the Second Awakening. Unfortunately false teaching began to be promoted by some, including Finney, who denied the depravity of the human heart and of the sinners absolute dependance upon the grace of God for salvation and of the Spirits work to make dead men live. This was the beginning of modern decisionism which raised its ugly head against the Gospel doctrine of regeneration. Finney had a sermon entitled "Make yourself a new heart". This is contrary to the message of the Gospel in which it is God who gives a new heart (Ezek 36). Finney taught that for a man to be saved all he has to do is make a decision. This whole scheme has utterly marred this nations understanding of what true revival is. It has changed from being a gracious and free outpouring of God's Spirit and His resurrecting work within a dead and wicked heart to a focus on human activity and an emphasis on numbers, emotions, and decisions. I believe wholeheartedly brother Ravenhill is a man of God, he puts me to shame. All of us can have wrong understandings about other people and their true positions and of matters of theology. However we equally need to be aware that false teaching is extremely serious and some in church history who have appeared as sheep are actually goats. What Finney taught was destructive.

2012/10/13 11:00Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Rather than see this post go a familiar and unwanted direction I am locking the thread and asking that the previous posts and links be reviewed and that the subject not be reintroduced to the forums. Thank you.

2012/10/13 12:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy