SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Quotes on Prayer by Andrew Bonar

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Quotes on Prayer by Andrew Bonar

Quote:
"We must continue in prayer if we are to get an outpouring of the Spirit. [b]Christ says there are some things we shall not get, unless we pray and fast, yes, "prayer and fasting."[/b] We must control the flesh and abstain from whatever hinders direct fellowship with God."- Andrew Bonar

It is considered by most these days to be a form of legalism but [i]fasting[/i] is a spiritual practice that God honours and is commanded in scripture. Are we desperate enough for God to move in our lifes? sometimes this requires desperate measures that might require some sort of sacrifice.

Quote:

"God will not let me get the blessing without asking. Today I am setting my face to fast and pray for enlightenment and refreshing. Until I can get up to the measure of at least two hours in pure prayer every day, [b]I shall not be contented.[/b] Meditation and reading besides." - Andrew Bonar

How easy it is to give up and not persevere. I believe this is a big fault in my life, having not the desire and earnestness like jacob to grab God in a sense and not let go until He blesses me.

Quote:
"[b]We have not been men of prayer. The spirit of prayer has slumbered among us.[/b] The closet has been too little frequented and delighted in. We have allowed business, study or active labor to interfere with our closet-hours. And the feverish atmosphere in which both the church and the nation are enveloped has found its way into our prayer closets…" - Andrew Bonar

Can we confess this openly brothers? I have not been the men of prayer I should have been. God help me to be a man of prayer. Make it an immense pleasure to worship you and intercede for others. Make this desire paramount in my life and others that read this post.

Quote:
"Why is there so little forethought in the laying out of time and employment, so as [b]secure a large portion of each day for prayer[/b]? Why is there so much speaking, yet so little prayer? Why Is there so much running to and fro to meetings, conventions, fellowship gatherings and yet so little time for prayer'? Brethren, why so many meetings with our fellow men and so few meetings with God?" - Andrew Bonar

This is such and important aspect of our relationship to God. To set aside time not to read the bible, not to sing songs. But to just quietly seek God's face alone in the private.

Quote:
"0h brother, pray; in spite of Satan, pray; spend hours in prayer; rather neglect friends than not pray; rather fast, and lose breakfast, dinner, tea, and supper - and sleep too - than not pray. And we must not talk about prayer, we must pray in right earnest. [b]The Lord is near. He comes softly while the virgins slumber.[/b]" - Andrew A. Bonar

This is my favorite quote on prayer by Andrew Bonar. The last line of this quote always sends a chill down my spine. Will he catch you slumbering unaware of his coming, let us all be near to the Lord in these days.

2003/9/19 19:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Quotes on Prayer by Andrew Bonar

Quote:
Can we confess this openly brothers? I have not been the men of prayer I should have been. God help me to be a man of prayer. Make it an immense pleasure to worship you and intercede for others. Make this desire paramount in my life and others that read this post.

I will confess as well. Forgive me Lord. Let me join in this petition, bring us back to You.

2003/9/20 1:08Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Just digging around in the "closet" and found this old post. Thought I would bump it back to the top. It's worth reading again.

2005/2/23 12:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Just digging around in the "closet" and found this old post. Thought I would bump it back to the top. It's worth reading again.

amen.. these are very powerful quotes.. the way that this old saint wrote really shows how much in prayer and a life in Christ he lived. Let us follow these precious examples of the faith. And live a life of prayer abounding more and more.

2005/2/23 15:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy