SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Jezebel, Two Women, Israel, the Church & Many Men

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Jezebel, Two Women, Israel, the Church & Many Men

Jezebel: Two women, Israel, the Church & Many Men

Scriptural Knowledge

The name Jezebel appears several times in the Scriptures, but it is in connection to just two individuals and by agreement the 4th century development of the Mother of Harlots. The first is in 1 Kings and 2 Kings, which speaks of Queen Jezebel, a Sidonian princess; the daughter of King Ethbaal. Her principle sin in the end was causing others to worship Satan himself by the use of idols placed in groves of trees; symbolic of pure wickedness and the worship of stars; literally principalities and powers of wickedness in heavenly places. It is the development of a prophetic priesthood dedicated to the worship of Baal. The second time it is a reference to a woman who “calls” herself a prophetess in the church of Thyatira whose principle activity was seduction and “teachings” so as to cause in the church itself to commit fornication and eating food sacrificed to Idol’s.

Queen Jezebel married King Ahab who was said to have “made light” of the sins of Jeroboam. The church of Thyatira was said to “suffer” Jezebel. King Ahab’s attitude was indicative of his own lack of spiritual understanding and indifference to the sins of Jeroboam even though Israel had the Law which forbade idolatry. It is also a neglecting to comprehend the offence to God Himself. The Church in Thyatira could not be unaware of the offence caused by fornication in their midst because they had the light of Christ, yet they were nevertheless prepared to “suffer” Jezebel and her fornications. I would like to add that whilst the “woman” here named by the Lord Himself as Jezebel, may have indeed been a real women in the church at Thyatira, its fuller meaning lies in the eventual rise of The Mother of Harlots in the 4th century which was a Roman Catholic (world) Church filled with pagan idolatry.

Thyatira is the 4th of the seven churches in Revelations and is widely understood to be both a local church in what is present day Turkey, in the first century, as well as an eventual continuation from the 4th century right up to the present day itself. In Revelations chapter 2 where these passages can be found concerning Thyatira there is a reference describing how the fornications of Jezebel are understood by that church itself at that time. These are the Lord’s words and therefore cannot be changed. “But I say to you, the rest who are in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching [of Jezebel] who have not known the deep things of Satan, as they call them—I place no other burden on you. [Lit: Continue to abstain and hold your attitude] (v24).To the Lord Himself the teachings of Jezebel are not deep things so The Lord says “as they call them” to show that these teachings are recognised as “the deep things of Satan” to those who have witnessed them. It also reveals that such teachings attend to the very nature of the flesh [the heart] and is therefore appealing to the flesh as well as a snare and a spiritual bondage. It also attends to the very mind of Satan’s activities as well. Idolatry is an end time reality as well as a first century “sufferance” To be born again and to thereafter continue to be informed by the air, tends to deception but to be taught Satanic principles is to become idolatrous in nature and practise; a thing which is characteristically Jezebelic. This was the sin in this church. Not simply food sacrificed to idols as the unbeliever sacrifices, but food sacrificed to idols in the church; thereafter an eating of the food as well. [Lit: full and complete agreement].

Given that the principle presentation both with regards to Queen Jezebel and Jezebel “who calls herself a prophetess is “in Israel” and in “the church of Thyatira” respectively, one would have to ask one’s self whether there is any Scriptural legitimacy to the claim that a Sister in the Lord can be called a Jezebel and whether the same name could not be equally applied to Brothers? There are no other biblical references to Jezebel whatsoever other than in these two contexts. One as the wife of a king of Israel and the other as a woman in the Church of Thyatira in the first century, culminating in the development of a 4th century Mother of Harlot’s.

Queen Jezebel had many characteristics but her chief sin was the facilitation and a continuation of idolatry in the Land of Samaria, not by commanding it, but by fully embracing it herself and using her authority as a Queen to seduce prophets into serving Baal which is satanic idolatry. It was King Ahab who built the temple to Baal thereby laying the foundation physically. Herein lays a profound reality. A “King Ahab” gives rise to a physical outcome and a “Queen Jezebel” gives rise to a spiritual decline of God’s servants the prophets. Yet although Queen Jezebel acted against God, she did not act against her husband. She was fully supportive of his intentions as well as her own intentions. They stood in agreement. Not against one another. Weak as King Ahab was and as strong as Queen Jezebel is perceived to be, his weakness was strong as a King in commanding the building of a temple to Baal and placing about it the Asherim groves, her strength was seduction by authority as a Queen, being able to direct the prophets and thereby to seduce them.

The “woman” Jezebel who called herself a prophetess in the church of Thyatira exhibited her chief activity as “teachings,” leading to immorality and eating food sacrificed to idols. Jezebel in both of these two instances was able to achieve an outcome with the complicity and authority of men. She did not act alone or compel anyone. Neither account is explicitly sexual, yet in the green trees (Asherah) of many nations, such idolatry existed openly and was often accompanied by sexual degeneracy. King Ahab was clearly in authority, but so were the prophets who followed Queen Jezebel because they were appointed by God, generationally to speak for God as He moved them. In Thyatira these men were elders of the church.

There is no real Biblical evidence to support the idea that a Sister is more likely to become or else be of that same spirit than is a Brother less likely to be affected by it, being led astray himself. In fact as the prophets were all men and the bishop of the church would have been a man as would all the ministers of the Word in that church, so it is much more likely to conclude that men and not women are more to be held in the grip of Jezebelic teachings, despite knowing the Truth. As well as being bishops they were also heads of their own households, yet they are nevertheless willing to suffer something which stands in direct contradiction to all truth and amounts to a denial of God. In being of this mind these men are the party held accountable by God. The prophets of Baal acting by governance of Queen Jezebel didn’t twiddle their thumbs and just look on. They provided a basis for authenticating Queen Jezebel’s idolatrous desires and thus became false prophets, leading the people astray into idolatry as well.

I wouldn’t care to speculate as to what these prophets and elders did in their bodies other than to recognise that they were seduced (not deceived) and committed idolatry, which is spiritual fornication, and ate sacrifices of food made to demons. Everything else that may be said about Jezebel is extra biblical. This does not mean that what is said is wrong when we speak of Jezebelic teachings or else brothers and sisters being inclined to a so-called Jezebelic attitude, but it does mean that if what we are seeking to demonstrate falls beyond a straight forward biblical account, it must be stated as “not of Scripture” and therefore Scripture must not be used to ‘prove’ it.

It would be possible to speak about demonic spirits which are said to be Jezebelic in character, and it would even be possible to speak about the “spirit of Jezebel”. But if we did not acknowledge that this name when used in this way, especially in the case of saying “the spirit of Jezebel” is a conceit of Satan, we would have failed to understand that today it is become a title given to a strong spirit which acts wickedly in order to produce a particular outcome. It is also a conceit of rank giving rise to spirits which follow in producing that outcome in obedience to Satan. Again this is not to say that it is wrong to comprehend the name, but if we did not recognise that all spiritual wickedness can be bound by binding Satan, we would have not understood that all direct wickedness is centred and outworked through Satan himself. We fight not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers of wickedness in heavenly places. The chief amongst which principalities and powers is Satan.

2012/10/8 15:26

Re: Jezebel, Two Women, Israel, the Church & Many Men

Wisdom crieth aloud in the street; She uttereth her voice in the broad places; She crieth in the chief place of concourse; At the entrance of the gates, In the city, she uttereth her words: Proverbs 1:20-21

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, And lay up my commandments with thee; So as to incline thine ear unto wisdom, And apply thy heart to understanding; Yea, if thou cry after discernment, And lift up thy voice for understanding; If thou seek her as silver, And search for her as for hid treasures: Then shalt thou understand the fear of Jehovah, And find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-6

Wisdom sits in the gate and she observes the going out and the coming in.

Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; And call understanding thy kinswoman: That they may keep thee from the strange woman, From the foreigner that flattereth with her words. For at the window of my house I looked forth through my lattice; And I beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, A young man void of understanding, Passing through the street near her corner; And he went the way to her house, In the twilight, in the evening of the day, In the middle of the night and in the darkness. And, behold, there met him a woman With the attire of a harlot, and wily of heart. She is clamorous and wilful; Her feet abide not in her house: Now she is in the streets, now in the broad places, And lieth in wait at every corner. So she caught him, and kissed him, And with an impudent face she said unto him: Sacrifices of peace-offerings are with me; This day have I paid my vows. Therefore came I forth to meet thee, Diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee. I have spread my couch with carpets of tapestry, With striped cloths of the yarn of Egypt. I have perfumed my bed With myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon. Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning; Let us solace ourselves with loves. For the man is not at home; He is gone a long journey: He hath taken a bag of money with him; He will come home at the full moon. With her much fair speech she causeth him to yield; With the flattering of her lips she forceth him along. He goeth after her straightway, As an ox goeth to the slaughter, Or as one in fetters to the correction of the fool; Till an arrow strike through his liver; As a bird hasteth to the snare, And knoweth not that it is for his life. Now therefore, my sons, hearken unto me, And attend to the words of my mouth. Let not thy heart decline to her ways; Go not astray in her paths. For she hath cast down many wounded: Yea, all her slain are a mighty host. Her house is the way to Sheol, Going down to the chambers of death. Doth not wisdom cry, And understanding put forth her voice? On the top of high places by the way, Where the paths meet, she standeth; Beside the gates, at the entry of the city, At the coming in at the doors, she crieth aloud: Unto you, O men, I call; And my voice is to the sons of men. O ye simple, understand prudence; And, ye fools, be of an understanding heart. Hear, for I will speak excellent things; And the opening of my lips shall be right things. For my mouth shall utter truth; And wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; There is nothing crooked or perverse in them. They are all plain to him that understandeth, And right to them that find knowledge. Proverbs 7:4-27 to Proverbs 8:1:9

2012/12/16 11:28
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

These verses from Proverbs sound like the perspective of a poet describing the workings and philosophy of modern advertising by appealing to fleshy desires to satisfy sensual drives.

Carnal human nature has not changed any, has it?

2012/12/16 15:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy