SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Rocker forsakes band to follow Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Rocker forsakes band to follow Christ

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) — A founding member of the Bakersfield multi-platinum band Korn is leaving the group to focus on his religious beliefs.

"Korn has parted ways with guitarist Brian 'Head' Welch, who has chosen Jesus Christ as his savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end," read a statement posted this week on the band's Web site.

Welch told The Bakersfield Californian that his decision to leave Korn might be surprising to some.

"My old friend called today and said he was called up by another friend of mine who said, 'Who brainwashed Brian?'" Welch quipped. "Man, you guys don't even know ... A lot of people think I'm crazy. I don't care."

Welch said he was becoming increasingly disenchanted with himself as a Korn band member, producing heavy metal music that invoked dark and morbid images.

--

Can anyone valify this? if this person is making a true decision for Christ? let us pray for him and the people he could influnence.. namely mainly young people that listen to this music.

2005/2/24 23:08Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Rocker forsakes band to follow Christ

It appears to be true praise God. Several internet news agencies have a simalar story and Korn's official website concurs. Here's what I found on [url=http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news/16048895]Yahoo's music news site.[/url]

Quote:
Ex-Korn Guitarist Quits For His Kid

02/24/2005 5:00 PM, LAUNCH
LAUNCH Radio Networks

Former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch said that one of the reasons he left the band was to set a better example for his six-year-old daughter, according to the Bakersfield Californian. Welch said, "I just grew up a little bit...I've got to think of my kid. I just want to do the right thing." Although Korn's management offered to let Welch bring his daughter on tour with him, the guitarist was not interested: "What parents would want their kids to go on a rock 'n' roll tour, a heavy metal tour?"

Welch's departure from the band was made official on Tuesday (February 22) when Korn issued a statement that read in part, "[Welch] has chosen the Lord Jesus Christ as his savior, and will be dedicating his musical pursuits to that end. Korn respects Brian's wishes, and hopes he finds the happiness he's searching for."

A founding member of Korn for thirteen years, Welch told the Californian that he's not surprised by the reactions to his departure: "My old friend called today and said he was called up by another friend of mine who said, 'Who brainwashed Brian?' Man, you guys don't even know...A lot of people think I'm crazy. I don't care."

Welch admitted he was increasingly disturbed by the dark image that Korn projected. "Those guys in the band, they're not bad guys. They're just a bunch of kids getting marketed how these guys in the big corporate firms want to do. It makes us look like bad people, but we're really just a bunch of kids who never had a chance to grow up."

[i]Welch will discuss his reasons for leaving this Sunday (February 27), when he addresses the congregation at the Valley Bible Fellowship in Bakersfield, California, where he recently began attending services.[/i]

Korn is currently in the studio, working on their seventh album, and have no immediate plans to replace Welch.

I hope and pray that he grows in the Lord to become a strong Christian and a testimony of God's grace.

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/2/25 0:40Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: This is great news

Praise God.

Most certainly will be praying for Brian. This is right out of the same mold for me. Though not one of my favorites in those days, still out of that same genre. This is incredible in that it will give pause to a lot of minds. For those who may not know... We are talking extremely [i]heavy[/i] metal, you know the kind that get's the label of 'satanic'. Definitely dark themes and whatnot, but got to wonder how much mainstream...won't go there. It's just that whole perception...
This is great news, a huge leap for him no doubt.
Much prayers indeed.

2005/2/25 1:17Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

According to the group's management, Welch has rededicated his life to Christianity and he felt it necessary to leave the group due to moral objections to the band's music.
"... I distanced myself from Korn for probably a year and a half, two years. I just wanted to fade away, it was crazy. I was so gone,"

I think that the fact that Welch has distanced himself over time, potentially shows that he is making a rational choice to follow Christ. At least it shows that this isn't some fad he's trying, ala Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and KRS-One, among others.

However, it would be wise to judge the fruit in his life, rather than making a "knee jerk" endorsment of "Cool. Welch is a christian".

2005/2/25 3:18Profile
markm

Re:

There is certainly a danger in these high profile conversions. The wolves start circling (some in sheep's clothing). Bob Dylan's conversion comes to mind.

Pray that Brian spends enough time in the desert to gain the strength and foundation to weather the coming storms. That he will have a relationship so close to God that human relationships can not break it.

What an opportunity for him to reach a thirsty audience. Pray that he waits on God's timing to take advantage of it.

2005/2/25 4:22Profile

Re: thats a good word

this...

Quote:
Pray that Brian spends enough time in the desert to gain the strength and foundation to weather the coming storms

thats really great news, lets pray together,

please dear Jesus, please protect our brother from the forces that will gather to subvert Your will, please give our brother the strength in the Holy Ghost and let Your seed fall on good soil in that boys heart and soul, please don't let him be the rocky soil man, and in Jesus Name we lay claim to the souls of the band Linkin Park and ask that You Dear Jesus bring them to You and for Your Glory, amen

2005/2/25 19:50
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Brian Welch, former guitarist for Korn, has a web-site that is going to be up at any time. I'm sure his testimony will be interesting.

Here's the link: [url=http://www.headtochrist.com/]www.headtochrist.com[/url]

The website is not up and running yet, but it should be very soon.

2005/2/25 22:35Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re:

Now it is online, you can download his testimony

Quote:

Hulsey wrote:

Here's the link: [url=http://www.headtochrist.com/]www.headtochrist.com[/url]

The website is not up and running yet, but it should be very soon.

2005/2/28 6:05Profile
MarkDaniel

Midwest, USA

Re:

Glory to Jesus! And prayers for this soul too!

2005/2/28 21:12Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Pray that Brian spends enough time in the desert to gain the strength and foundation to weather the coming storms. That he will have a relationship so close to God that human relationships can not break it.

Amen, we need to pray for this brother that he would be free of all bondages of his old life and be a shining testimony of what Christ can do. A friend here at bible college shared that he used to listen to 'korn' before he was saved and after he was saved he used to pray for them, so when I told him about this news he was amazed.

2005/2/28 22:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy