SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dead unto Sin

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Dead unto Sin

Dead unto Sin
By Jesse Morrell

Ro 6:11 – “Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

All are living to die, many are dying to live, but few are dead while they live. To get to the mountain of life you must pass through the valley of death. The key which unlocks the door to freedom from sin is the key of death. Death that is, to ones will, to ones flesh, and to ones ways. Do any of you want to live? Then you must die. To live and reign with Christ you must first be crucified with Christ. 2Ti 2:11 – “This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We shall also live with Him.” You can not live in the fullness of Christ if you are not dead to yourself. Both the penalty of sin and the prescription to sin is death. If you do not die to sin now that you are in time, you will die because of sin later when you are in eternity.

There are those who justify their own sins by saying “A man can not truly live free from sin. That’s impossible. We’re only human.” This is not so sinner. Just because you have not lived free from sin does not mean that others can not live free from sin. I would dare you Sir to get specific about these unstoppable sins. Which sin is impossible for you to live without? Would it be lying or stealing? Would it be adultery or murder? Would it be blasphemy or jealousy? Or is it all of these sins which you are chained to? Is the lock of sin truly without a key? The commandments of the Lord are not burdensome.
The scriptures force me to say that it is not that you cannot live without sin but rather that you simply will not live without sin. You will never live without sin as long as you will to sin.

If you could not even help but to sin, how could God hold you accountable for that which you were forced to do to begin with? Is a bank teller arrested if he was forced by a robber with a gun to hand over the money? Would it be justice to throw that man in jail? Neither would it be justice to cast mans soul in hell if he ultimately was forced to sin by his own flesh, the world, or the devil.

However there is hope in my bible for me and there is hope in the bible for any man. Lies will bark and scream at you “cursed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they cannot ever be filled.” But the truth speaks life and says “blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled.” There is nothing but bondage in other religions, but in Christ there is liberty. This Christian liberty is not what some try to twist it and make it out to be. This Christian liberty is freedom from sin, not freedom to sin. Those who love God and hate sin wouldn’t want it the other way around.

There is both righteousness imparted and righteousness imputed. The blood of Jesus Christ not only covers all our sins, but “the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7). There is no covering of sins without the cleansing of sins. Leonard Ravenhill said “there are only two types of men in the world: those who are dead in sin and those who are dead to sin.” It is this cleansing which separates the sons of God from the sons of the devil. “In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God”. And also “He who sins is of the devil”. (1Jo 3:

And so it is that entire sanctification is reachable and also required. Did Christ say “go and sin less”? Or did he say “go and sin no more.” (Joh 5:14, Joh 8:11) Does the scripture say “let him who stole steal less”? Or does it say “let him who stole steal no longer”? (Eph 4:2 Christ, the Christians Master, said “be perfect just as your Father in Heaven is perfect.” (Mt 5:4

2005/2/24 22:16

Re: Dead unto Sin

Did you see do dead people sin?

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4518&forum=35&3

2005/2/25 6:05
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Dead unto Sin

Quote:
Jesse quoted:
Ro 6:11 – “Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

It is interesting that Paul addressed this to those who 'knew' that "our old man was co-crucified with him, so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, so that henceforth we should not be bond slaves to sin"

I think part of the struggle for some is that they are trying to 'reckon' what they don't actually 'know'. And when Paul says 'know' he is not talking about 'information'.

2005/2/25 7:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Reckon

That's something to chew on, Ron.
'[i]Trying[/i] to die'?

2005/2/25 7:28Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I think part of the struggle for some is that they are trying to 'reckon' what they don't actually 'know'. And when Paul says 'know' he is not talking about 'information'.

Thank you for reminding us of this point Ron. Paul gives us three "knows" in Romans 6:3,6,9 before he gives us the "reckon" in verse 11. Then he follows the "reckon" with "yield" in verses 13 & 16.

Seems to be a pattern there, know, reckon, yield. As Ron pointed out, that first all important step is to "know" in our hearts, not just a head knowledge but a revelation of God's truth, by the Holy Spirit, to man's heart. Faith then has a firm basis upon which to reckon, and then the will yields. (Although Ron wouldn't use the word "will") ;-)

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/25 9:28Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Ron (inthelight) writes:
...Seems to be a pattern there, know, reckon, yield... and then the will yields. (Although Ron wouldn't use the word "will");-)

Ron, thanks for taking this on into the next stages. I think this is how we were meant to learn (Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, [u]that all may learn[/u], and all may be comforted. (1Co 14:29-31 KJV))

As regards 'the will' (and am gratified to think that you have been listening to my periodic rants on this topic :-D) don't you feel that 'yield your members' and 'yield yourselves' is so much more comprehensive than 'yielding your will'? (Rom 6:13,16,19,12:1 where the same word is used throughout)

One last rant, for the moment, He doesn't want your 'will' [u]He wants you![/u] He will not fill your 'will' with His Spirit, but [u]He will fill you.[/u]

one last ps. the English word 'yield' as in the fencing duel sometimes has a connotation of passive compliance in it; the same word is translated 'present' in Rom 12:1 which has a much more positive and determined feel to it.
Thanks again.

2005/2/25 10:10Profile

Re:

I read a book by an author who said basicly "I am not a sinner even though I sin. I am a Saint that occasionally sins." The entire "sinning saint" theology and termonology goes against all of scriptures. The bible has a different term for the "sinning saint" and that term is hypocrite. It seemed Jesus preached more against the "sinning saints" ( religious people who didn't live it) then he did against anyone else.

Many bring up this scripture:

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in

us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse

us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his

word is not in us." 1 John 1:5-10

The problem seems to come in when people use that for a justification if they are living in sin now after they claim to have been converted. The truth is: "All HAVE sinned" but that doesn't mean all STILL sin. The scripture shows that all men need to be saved. But it does not mean that you can't live holy or that you can't even say your holy without being a liar. In context, the book of 1 John is basicly all about complete repentance, entire sanctification, moral perfection. Example of just one of the many verses in 1 John would be:

1Jo 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
Another example is: My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but IF any one does sin, we havalso for the sins of the whole world" (1 John 2:1-2). It doesn't say "when you sin" but "if you sin". Some call it moral perfection. Some call it entire santification. I prefer complete repentance.

Duncan Campbell said it best "You'll never get to the point where it is impossible for you to sin. But praise be to God that you are in the position where it is possible for you not to.

Blessings

2005/2/28 2:50
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

I need to add a few thoughts on the Holy Ghost if I might. The progression as Bro. Ron and Bro. Ron is exactly right. Know, reckon and yield. Some may ask; I am trying that and it is not working. They are gritting their teeth and trying to see it happen. My position is that one must be continually filled with the Holy Spirit in order for any of these things to happen. We have the mechanics of dying to sin; but we need the POWER of the Holy Ghost in our lives to see in happen. If you by the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the flesh you will live. I have a 10 part series on victory over sin- yet the main key is none other than being obedient to the command of God- be ye filled with the Spirit. When we start thinking this is optional- we will fall short.

The life of the believer is characterized more than anything by the influence of the Holy Spirit living inside of him/her. This is not a passive influence- it is a conscious effort to seek God for fulness. Without that fulness we are legalists like the Pharisees. They had lots of laws and fences around the laws- they did not have the fulness of the Holy Ghost. Born Again believers who are full of the Holy Ghost do not go on sinning. It is when they cease to walk in that fulness that they struggle. The flesh is not mortified when their is no fulness. Believers begin to walk as men. What is it? God expects us to walk in the Spirit. Nothing more and nothing less. The Spirit and the Word agree.

The Galatian church for whatever reason thought to come back under the law. What was happening? Did they loose the manifestation of the Spirit in their midst? Why did they think to go under the law again? Did they think that circumcising everyone was going to bring revival? Paul asks; having begun in the Spirit are you now made perfect by the flesh? What did he mean? You simply cannot please God any other way than to walk FULL of the Holy Ghost. Anything else is flesh whether it be sin or legalism. Flesh is flesh is flesh is flesh. We must walk in the Spirit. That is what a Christian (an anointed one) does. They that are born again are indeed dead to sin- but death reckoned is made reality when we yield UNTO fulness of the Holy Ghost.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/28 8:25Profile

Re:

AMEN BROTHER ROBERT!

2005/2/28 8:46

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy