SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : It is a choice.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

It is a choice.

I find the account of Mary and Martha to be rich. I have gone back and meditated on that account several times and gain new insights each time. We all know the story. Greg posted a thread on it a few days ago. We all identify with Martha. Yes. We give her a bum rap for not fellowshipping with Jesus. But honestly how many if us are not like Martha. We love Jesus. But we get distracted with the business of serving. Nothing wrong in serving Jesus. But it should come out of a heart in union to him. The serving should flow out fellowship with Jesus.

When Jesus was speaking to Martha he said that Mary had CHOSEN what is better. Thus our desire to fellowship with Jesus in prayer and the word should be a choice. Many threads have been opened up on the importance of reading or listening to the word. So simple. Yet the devil will throw every opportunity to keep us away from the word.

In a forum like this the temptations are so great. Or should I say distractions. We are blessed with many good sermons from choice servants of God. I say this respectfully and with all gentleness. It is far easier to pick up a venhill, Tozer, or Wesley than to pick up the Bible. Try It. The distractions want come as fast and furious if you decide to pick up Tosser.or listen to Paul Washer. But pick up your Bible and how the distractions will come.

Dear saints it is a choice. You can discipline yourself to read scripture. With God's help I have done so Not that I am there. I simply share that if God can help a blind nan with 2100 vision get into the word.. What can he do with you who have been blessed with marvelous sight? But saints it is a choice. God will nopt force you to read his word. Woo you with love, yes. Force you to read the word. No. Again it is a choice.

Someone asked how do you read the Bible? Best answer. One page at a time. Might I suggest something simple. Something I know does work. At least for me. And I know it will work for you. If you choose to do it. Read the New Testament like a book. Just start in Mathew and read through to Revelation. Don't try to exegete just enjoy. If you cannot read it or the reading gets boring or tedious. Get a digital Bibke and listen to it. You can get these by phone apps or buy them individually.

We are a culture who listens to audio books. When I was a kid I used to listen to records that were called talking books. I was allowed this because of being legally blind. Saints with the marvelous technology available why not listen to the New Testament. I have used the Travellers Go Bibke that has the whole Bibke downloaded on it.
Some will say that listening to or reading the Bibke even for the pure joy of it is not enough. I beg to differ. One can plop down in front of the TV and watch programs that deaden their spirit. Likewise one can listen to or read the word and be quickened in their spirit. I have done both.

Saints it us simply a choice. Which do you choose?

Bearmaster.

2012/10/2 10:13
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: It is a chouce.

I choose the Bible.

I don't have a problem reading. I have regular reading times in the mornings, and throughout the day.

I think society has become so visual, that reading seems boring. Even the Bible. You would think Christians would love to read the word of God, as it correlates to our love for God. But...

Good word again.

God bless.

2012/10/2 10:49Profile
rainydaygirl

Re: It is a chouce.

hey bear

this topic is really on your heart ugh? that is awesome though. you ask what do i choose and i have to answer honestly, i choose to sit at Jesus feet and be guided to spend time with Him however He leads me. sometimes it is in reading the Bible, other times its in listening to a teaching from other believers, sometimes its in prayer and listening, and other times its in worshiping Him. then there are those amazing days when He leads me to do all the above. i do believe reading my Bible is important and i love spending time with Him in this way but Jesus is a person(been learning that) and i try to listen and be lead how He wants me to be spending time.

i personally do no listen to the Bible because i find i just don't get as much out of it but i know lots that do and find it a real blessing. when i read my mind wanders less then when i listen. have to keep praying on that. great topic and reminder brother.

rdg

2012/10/2 11:30Profile

Re:

Dear saints whether you listen to the Bibke or read it. My exhortation is please do it. Rdg this is on my heart because of the urgency if the hour. We could very well come to a place where the Bible may very well be taken out of our hands and only what we have stored in our hearts will sustain us.

But really. The main reason to be in this most blessed and treasured book that God has left us is to know him. For surely we cannot know God apart from knowing his word. When we spend time in God's presence listening to his word or reading it. He will surely amaze us with rich revelations from heaven.

Bearnaster.

2012/10/2 11:48
rainydaygirl

Re:

Hey bear

i am not arguing with you on this so i hope my post don't seem like it. i agree with spending time with God, really i do. i just believe there are many different ways to spend time with the Lord, of course the Bible is for sure one of the most important ways to get to know Jesus and should not be neglected but i want to be open to His leading. also i just don't see the same urgency that you do about someone coming in and taking my Bible from me. i know you see this as happening very soon but i still am seeking the Lord on this and not seeing it as clearly that is why i posted to that other thread. i know this is happening in other countries and i pray for the persecuted church but to say it is going to happen here soon is confusing to me.

anyway i don't want to get all off topic in your thread. it is a great thread and i agree reading our Bible is a blessing, anytime with Jesus is a blessing and a treasure.
thanks bear for the post and for being patient as i work through these things in Him.
rdg

2012/10/2 12:29Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

hey bear after some thought i take back part of my last post. i do understand feeling a sense of urgency for the lost. not because i necessarily see persecution or specific events unfolding but because we are told to live each day as our last. with that in mind each of us should probably have that sense of urgency for the lost around us.

so yeah i do get what you saying.

rdg

2012/10/2 13:37Profile

Re: Re: Only One Thing

Sometimes I think we complicate the Christian life to a degree that God never intended it for it to be. I see long extended, wordy post that emulate the disputations of tbe Reformers I want to run. My soul cries out whatever happened to the word and prayer. Simple fellowship with with Jesus.

This is why time and again I come back to Luke 10:38-41. A beautiful illustration is laid out where Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to what he is saying. This is fellowship in its simplest form. This is the relationship calls us to. Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus so illustrates what God is desiring from us. He wants us to come and listen to his word. In essence he is inviting us to come sit with him and listen to his heart.

Notice what Jesus tells Martha. Only one thing is needed. That one statement from the Son of Go should well up to springs of living water in our hearts. Only one thing is necessary that God desires of us. To sit st his feet in his presence and listen to his word.

I apologize for tbe simplicity of this post. For it does lack deep theology. Lately I have been thinking about the persecuted church jn Iran. There sincere and pure devotion in prayer and the words of Jesus. Simple, uncomplicated, beautiful. Dear Jesus. May I be a Mary.

Bearmaster

2012/11/1 12:22
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Bearmaster,

May I say this?

With the first century Church it was Christ or Ceaser.

In Iran, it's Christ or Islam.

In the 21st century West, it Christ or, any number of false doctrines, false religions, humanism, secularism, sports, entertainment etc. You name it,it's there.

I'm not making excuses. The west seems to be a real concoction of everything and nothing to distract away from God.

I'm not saying it's not happening in other nations, but it just seems more apparent in the West.

However, I also think of Daniel in Babylon for 70 years. He was in Babylon, but Babylon was not in him.

But you are right, our love for the Lord should make it so that all distractions melt when we think of Him.

God bless.

2012/11/1 12:35Profile

Re:

Enid, dear sister, always appreciate your reflective post. Beautiful observstion about Daniel. He was in Babylon. Babylon was not in him. I an thinking of the words of Jesus where he tells his people to come out of Babylon in Rev. 18. Spiritually speaking. Good parallel to the world. We are in the world. But the world should not be in us.

Thank you for your insight.

Bearmaster.

2012/11/1 13:02
Sree

Re: It is a choice.

I believe in the Bible going through me rather than me going through the Bible. So I do not set targets for reading Bible, especially for New Covenant. New Covenant has to be read very slowly. Many false teachings and false doctrines or even partially true doctrines today are due to people not reading the New Covenant slowly and carefully. The spirit in which New Covenant is read is very important. I believe it should be a spirit in which we want God to talk to us and convict us of darkness. We should read it with an attitude of applying in our life.
For example when Jesus said that it is difficult for a richman to enter the kingdom of God, immediately his disciples asked him 'who will enter then?' which means they applied the word from Jesus in their life and saw themself rich. We should have the same attitude as well when reading Bible.

2012/11/1 14:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy