Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Another question

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
wordisbond

Baton Rouge, La

Another question

If a prophet prophesy something specific and end up being wrong.........does that make them a false prophet?

Or can they be right sometimes and wrong at others?

2012/9/23 21:52Profile

Re: Another question

It depends on who your asking.

If your asking the Brethren that don't believe that such things happen today than your going to get the answer that he is a false prophet.

This is really a hard question to answer there are too many variables.

For example, A young prophet may be starting out in the gift and he may get cocky and say something that doesn't come to pass, does that make a him a false prophet? No, he needs to realize that God will speak through him as He wills and not from his own spirit. He is learning, pray for him.

Other men who are KNOWN to spout words that never come to pass are false prophets and should be noted as one and exposed.

Still some speaking by the Spirit of God may say something that isn't quite exact. For instance, I remember an old Apostle who had given a very long prophecy back in the late 80's and he was speaking about our days today, he said, "Observe what is going on in the Middle East and especially France". That bothered me for quite sometime until recently. France will play a role in what is going on in the Middle East, whether that will be good or bad. If you heard the rest of the message it would blow your mind of what is happening today.

We don't want to write off anyone that is a prophet and makes a mistake. I think any prophet who repents and acknowledges that he was wrong should be considered, but the majority of them will never do this. To them, I would say that they are false prophets.

2012/9/23 22:26

Re:

I love Approved, but he just gave you an answer devoid of any scriptural evidence. Let's correct that...

In scripture we do not see any examples of young prophets needing to improve and needing more practice, etc. We see no examples of God's prophets issuing forth God's Word prophetically and making a mistake or getting it wrong. Not one.

Yes, if someone issues forth a false prophecy even once he is labeled a "false prophet". And the New Testament has a LOT of warnings about false prophets, so obviously this is a HUGE deal to the Lord.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death. You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD?" If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

Krispy

2012/9/24 11:20
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

My wife and I were talking about the subject of prophecy just last night, Here are my thoughts...

I believe that prophecy as described in the NT is much misunderstood and as a result there is either a wrong practice or on the other extreme a view of it having ceased as a gift.

The main purpose of the 'gift' of prophecy as it operates in the body of Christ when we gather together is to 'edify, exhort and comfort' the brethren (see 1 Corinthians 14:3). So we should expect that prophecy in this context to in some way empasise scriptural truth. This could be by stating a known bible truth/s using different words or it could be a direct quote from scripture. But what it is, is the word that the Spirit of the LORD whats to press home to all or one of His people at that time. Prophecy is 'inspired teaching'.

It could be someone stating 'thus says the LORD' or I have heard persons prophecy in preaching (even those who don't believe in the gift). As someone is expounding the word they believe the LORD wants them to share at that time they are prophesying.

Now there is also the ministry of a phrophet, which is different from the body gift of prophecy and is not as common as folk think. This has more to do with foretelling of events and specific 'happenings' to individuals or communities (see Acts 21:10-12). Now when the two are confused many people think they can speak as a prophet into others lives and end up making false prophecies because they are doing something they are not called to or been given. If they stayed with 'encouraging, exhorting and comforting' they would not get into this error and danger of being a false prophet.

If someone claims to be a prophet and is not called of God and his prophecies do not come true, he is a 'false prophet' as Krispy has said. However it is also true that someone who does not prophecy, but teaches false doctrine is a false prophet.

So do not forbid prophecy (edification, exhortation and comfort) which is based on revealed truth. We can test this acording to scripture. Be careful of anyone claiming to prophecy anything new or predictive that cannot be tested until it comes true or fails. The golden rule if someone speaks a word or direction into your life is that you would probably already have had this from the LORD directly of confirmed in some other way.

2012/9/24 12:20Profile

Re:

Heydave... I find myself in agreement with you. Well said.

Krispy

2012/9/24 13:01
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
And the New Testament has a LOT of warnings about false prophets, so obviously this is a HUGE deal to the Lord.

And yet you quote the Old Testament. :)

God bless,
Lisa

2012/9/24 14:25Profile

Re:

So you disregard the Old Testament? God has not changed. If someone presumes to speak for Him prophetically and they are wrong... they are a false prophet.

It's not rocket science. It's "if this, then that".

Krispy

2012/9/24 16:52
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
So you disregard the Old Testament? God has not changed. If someone presumes to speak for Him prophetically and they are wrong... they are a false prophet.

It's not rocket science. It's "if this, then that".

I love you as a brother in Christ Krispy but you do this almost-every-single-time that I comment on something that you write... you insinuate and/or accuse me of saying something that I did not say. Let me reiterate to you and everyone else that I never said that God has changed in any way, shape or form, did I? Please show me where I said that.

So I must ask... what is up with this knee-jerk reaction when people disagree with you? Especially me, when you accuse me of disregarding the Old Testament? That’s laughable, brother and you know it’s not true.

(I say this in such a nice tone of voice...) I beseech you to stop insinuating that people said things that they didn't say.

God bless brother,
Lisa

2012/9/24 20:00Profile

Re:

I am speaking about a young prophet who receives a gift and gets cocky with the gift. Any believer who has any of the gifts of the Spirit has at some point been humbled because they stepped out of line and walked in their own will instead of waiting on God.

I say it again, does that make the brother a false prophet, absolutely not. It will make him look stupid but it will also cause him to learn to wait on his calling.

We have it in our minds that prophets can't make mistakes. There are known false prophets and we have noted them and we do not hear them when they speak for they are false. They have a false spirit in them.

I do not subscribe to your definitions brother Krispy. (notice, I call you brother. I say it because I believe you are) Even though your using the scriptures and that is the right thing to do, however, it's how it's being used that I do not subscribe to. (Oh by the way, no anger was transmitted throughout this post even though it may look that way).

Your using it like a law, cut and dry without Mercy Judgment and Faith. Christ opponents were doing the same thing. They were so adamant about not working on the Sabbath that they were willing to crucify Christ instead of showing mercy to a person that may need help on the day that they held sacred.

I do not condemn anyone that steps out of line from their calling just because he uttered words that will more like end up humbling him (if he is a true believer) instead of bringing glory to God.

How many of us have done the same thing? How many of us have done things in secret that brought shame and reproach to our Lord? And yet we are not condemned as false, even though our conscience may say otherwise.

Nay, God would have us wiegh out all things. Discernment is so necessary to find out if the person speaking is a true or false brother.

For example, you have spoken on this site on several occasions that David Wilkerson was a false prophet. (you may have not said those words exactly but you have inferred it). That is a scary statement to make. He may have fallen into the date setting trap on occasion but that doesn't make him a false prophet. If you've ever given yourself to read his book the Vision, I guarantee you that that book is unfolding as we speak and your opinion of him might change.

I find it so difficult to commune with you brother because you may say you believe in prophets today and you may say you believe in the gifts of the Spirit are for today but you do NOT allow the operation of the gifts of the Spirit through individuals in your midst. Everything has to be in precise order in order for you to believe they are from God. But not everything that comes via the Holy Spirit is going to appear in order. It hardly ever does. Sometimes it looks messy at first. That is why people stumble at that stumbling block, the way in is backward to man's way of understanding how to come to God.

The Corinthian Church was operating in all the gifts but they were in a mess, did that make them false brethren because they weren't doing it right?

Of course not. No one is an instant perfect person that never fails. The Chorinthians were like children that needed to be told that what they had received were not toys that they can play with at will. And God would allow this to go on even though it wasn't His perfect will. And yet God calls them His children later on in the first chapter.

1 Corinthians 1:30 But of him are YOU in Christ Jesus,...

Yes, that disorderly bunch was in Christ Jesus.

Even the speaking in tongues sounds so ridiculous, it sounds so disorderly that it can't be believed that it's of God. I find it equally foolish when you say you believe that this gift exists yet no one in your circle, nor the church that you attend or attended would allow such a spectacle in their midst.

Going back to the prophets. If they are true brethren that get messed up we need to show mercy and judgment on any prophet that admits making a mistake and has apologies for his error for there is hope for him. Do not cut him off as a false prophet, rather God would have us to be careful how we hear if he should speak again.

Remember the prophets of old have spoken and we have held them accountable for prophecies that many believe (I do not) are yet to happen. So their reputations are at stake. And since thousands of years have transpired since those prophesies have been uttered, how do we know that what they said had any truth? Maybe they missed God on some of those prophesies because if we can have mercy on those blessed prophets of old, surely we can have mercy on the ones today that may have spoke and we expect those things to happen overnight and yet the ones that the old prophets have spoken are thousands of years in arrears.

:-)

2012/9/24 21:38

Re:

Quote:
So you disregard the Old Testament?

The letter Yes. The righteousness that is contained in the scriptures No.

There is a huge difference between the two.

2012/9/24 21:48

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy