SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Being Too Busy For God Just Like Martha - brother Greg

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArthurRosh

Being Too Busy For God Just Like Martha - brother Greg

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=29716

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:41-42)

I hard this phrase this last week and its truth rung true in my heart as I heard it: “If the devil can’t make you bad He will make you busy”.

Never in any age of the church of Jesus Christ have we been so frantic and busy, yet really busy doing nothing. When I see a person rushing or driving the car fast I think to myself “they are busy going nowhere!’

And that is the sad state for some in the church in our day with impressive programs, packed schedules, speaking tours yet this busyness does not equal godliness nor the kingdom of God being built.

We have to realize we are in a daily spiritual battle and to be ignorant of this will not make it go away. The devil is always looking for opportunities to make us ineffective in our work for the Lord and to void our lives from being a vibrant testimony for Christ. One of the main things that will rob us of our vibrant walk with the Lord is losing our intimacy with Christ. “Not now Jesus I need to go fix my car”, “Not now Lord I need to watch this television program”, “Not now God I need to check my Facebook updates” and the list goes on.

Making a priority in our lives to cater an intimate relationship with the Lord is vital for our spiritual walks and fruitfulness (John 15:1-5).

I have heard this story shared before but I feel it would be suitable to be heard here:

‘Satan called a worldwide convention. In the opening address to his evil spirits he said, ‘We can’t keep true Christians from going to church. We can’t keep them from reading their Bibles and knowing the truth. We can’t even keep them from having conservative values. But we can do something else. We can keep them from forming an intimate, abiding experience with Christ. If they gain that connection with Jesus, our power over them is broken. So let them go to church, read their Bibles, and have their conservative lifestyles, but steal their time so they do not have time to have an intimate fellowship with Christ. This is what I want you to do: keep them busy in the nonessentials of life and invent innumerable schemes to occupy their minds.’

When we neglect our personal communion with the Lord for serving the Lord in the end the service of the Lord suffers greatly.

There is a principle that if grasped can keep us always focusing on what is right it is this: We are more important then what we do! Our spiritual health of our inner man effects our resulting spiritual work we do. The most important thing for each worker and co-worker in the kingdom of God is their personal accountability before the Lord (Romans 14:12).

It is not how much we have done but how faithful we have been. It is not the quantity but the quality. It is not was the job done but rather what was the motive and intents behind it (Proverbs 16:2).

The Bible says that we are to live by faith and not sight. Spiritual fruit therefore will not always be visible to our understanding and mind.

So it is possible to think that we are busy, successful yet in reality spiritual speaking we are barren!

Judas was one of the chosen apostles and arguably did what all that the other Apostles did. He learnt teachings from Jesus Himself, was anointed to heal the sick, cast our demons and was in the limelight. Yet in the end he was barren in his soul and sold Jesus for a few bucks. This revealed his true spiritual condition inside, let us not be deceived by ministry leaders that seem very busy.

Mary and Martha are an classic example of this problem that our Lord addressed. Martha was very diligent, faithful doing her work in a proficient manner yet in her heart she was comparing herself to others.

She wanted to see the work done, the job accomplished, the task completed which is admirable. Yet Jesus said to her that those things can wait, there is no rush to finish them if it sacrifices time with Me! The one great need beyond all busyness in practical life, christian life and ministry life is intimate communion and fellowship with Jesus Christ. The Lord is happy with our work for Him as He leads it. He is happy to see us work diligently yet let us always do our work stemming 100% out of our abiding time with Him. Have you been working hard, yet have drifted apart from God?

Has your intimate times with the Lord waned yet your schedule has never been more busy? Consider praying this prayer and taking steps to sit down beside mary at Jesus’s feet for a season. Even now to be still in His presence for the next 15 minutes.

Lord, I agree that I have been to busy, that my spiritual life has been barren and unfruitful. I never been more full of ideas and plans yet not hearing your still small voice. Forgive me for going off and doing your work without You. Forgive me for being so busy that I don’t have time to rest and be quiet in your presence. I come now and sit in your presence at your feet, I love you Lord please let me see You as more important then anything else. Amen.

2012/9/23 5:50Profile
mama27

Re: Being Too Busy For God Just Like Martha - Greg Gordon

Right on, Brother! The Lord was just speaking to me yesterday about the flurry of things in my life, and then here are 2 threads on busyness this morning. Some responsibilities of life are inevitable, but many are not - may God give us discernment to know the difference, and grace to let go of anything that keeps us from HIM.....Thank you for posting!

2012/9/23 9:16Profile

Re:

Greg I remember in the webinar Tim referring to Heh.12:1. He drew the insight laying aside those things that hinder. Not necessarily these things are sin. But the hindering things are time wasters that eat away at our walk with Jesus. This is what business is.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/23 9:43

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy