SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Good Christian Books in a Bookshop full of unbelief

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Good Christian Books in a Bookshop full of unbelief

I work in the christian bookshop and I am amazed at how many christian books deny the tenants of the christian faith such as John Ortburg and others.
I can read extremely quickly and can read up to 4 books in a day with the Lords grace sometimes it is only a half. I have been so wanting good books that are against say the word of faith movements, emergent church, liberation theology, Toronto blessing movement and books, marketing and seeker sensitive books, Old Earth Creationist books, Anti Israel books, Inter faith books.
Then there is good scholarly books and bad ones, I am averagely safe on the commentaries but the scholars as they are even worse but I like reading them or the biography's at least they strengthen my faith.
I love authors like R A Torrey, Puritan paperbacks, D L Moody and my own pastors books Tony Pearce and others. I love the creation resources of Day One.
My heart sinks when authors release a book on Jesus as I know it is going to be dodgy or terrible.
I so want to read encouraging christian books as they are few and far between.

2012/9/22 13:55Profile
Anamosa41

Georgia, USA

Re: Good Christian Books in a Bookshop full of unbelief

The effort to find a good Christian book can be very difficult when you're in a Christian bookstore. However, there are many books you can order on the Internet that are wonderful. Let me suggest a few.

Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill

Revival Praying by Leonard Ravenhill

Power Through Prayer by E. M. Bounds

Crazy Love by Francis Chan

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (Pt. 1 and 2 are excellent)

Tortured For Christ by Richard Wurmbrand

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer

In Light of Eternity: The Life of Leonard Ravenhill by Mack Tomlinson

There are many books that I have not yet read but intend to very soon. Here are some that I know are very good but have not read as of yet:

The 180 Degree Christian by Carter Conlon

Spurgeon on Prayer published by Bridge Logos

The Life and Diary of David Brainerd edited by Jonathan Edwards

Revolution in World Missions by K. P. Yohannan

There are so many more, but these should get you off to a good start. May God bless you!

2012/9/22 14:25Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Dom, have you had a chance to read Ron Bailey's, "A Better Covenant"? You can get it through Amazon. Probably one of the best books I have ever read.

2012/9/22 22:24Profile
jstrang

Marshfield, Wisconsin

I surely do not rate up with many of the wonderful works that are out there, but I would love to send you a pdf copy of my newest release. If you are interested, let me know.

Blessings,

Jeremy Strang
jeremybstrang@gmail.com
www.time2stand.com

2012/9/22 23:51Profile
richrock

UK

Re:

Brother Jeremy,

You are too humble. The book I'm reading through at the moment of yours is spot on in many ways, and would prefer it over many books in Christian bookstores. Simple, real honest truth about our lives as Christians, exactly what is needed to be read by people today.

Your book 'realities of a true Christian' would surely be a blessing to brother deltadom.

Richard

2012/9/23 3:56Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Hi Dominique,
I am in 100% agreement with you. Thank God, the internet has many free resources of good ebooks like www.ccel.org (though there are some doggy catholic mystics as well)
I used to go to my local Christian bookstore and bought contemporary Christian books worth a couple of £1000 over the years. I used to go to the owner of the store and asked him for the latest recommendations and went home with a stash of half a dozen. In the end he introduced me to David Pawson. After I awoke from my apostate coma I asked him why he did not introduce me to DP earlier and sold me all this junk instead. Recently i chucked 2 bootloads of Christian junk books into the recycle container, they were not worth selling or passing on to others, they were just too toxic.
In our previous church they had a book table and rack with books people want to donate. I found some true gems there, all for free.

2012/9/23 13:01Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy