SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How come people recognized demon possession in the N.T?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
onemite

How come people recognized demon possession in the N.T?

I know that we've been talking about this topic a lot here lately and it brings up a question that I have never had answered.
In the times of Jesus and afterward, the bible speaks of people bringing their demon possessed... I have always wondered how they knew that it was a demon that was plaguing them.
There doesn't seem to have been a question of "what is wrong with these people??" Those who brought their demon possessed were very matter of fact about it so it seems to have been common knowledge.
I don't see where there might have been any practice of casting out demons before Jesus and I wonder how it became known that they were dealing with demons.
Nowadays, we can be sure that there are still instances of possession and yet we seldom recognize what may be around us.

2012/9/19 18:14Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: How come people recognized demon possession in the N.T?

Hi onemite,

I would suggest that the people didn't always know what troubled the demoniacs, but that the narrative in scripture tells us what their problem was by revelation. We have an example of how this played out in Acts 16.

And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying: The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour. (Acts 16:16-18)

Here were are told first that the damsel was possessed, then we are told what happened. Paul was on his way to pray and was met by this woman. You will notice that what she said for 'many days' was accurate, "These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation." I would suggest that Paul did not immediately know what was happened here. In fact, this went on for a while. But for some reason he was being grieved by what was said. There came a point when he either by revelation saw (discerned) that it was a demonic spirit or he finally had a green light from God to rebuke the spirit and cast it out. In either case I suggest that unless one knew she was a soothsayer they would have not picked up on the demon possession without spiritual discernment.

Quote:
I don't see where there might have been any practice of casting out demons before Jesus and I wonder how it became known that they were dealing with demons.

Casting out demons goes back a ways. Josephus tells us about Solomon having special powers or a 'formula' to do it that required a certain plant root, but this is doubtful in my view. It was common in pagan societies to believe that certain 'formulas' of words, etc. could be used to effect the supernatural. When the people repented in Ephesus they burned a fortune in this type of stuff.

Dealing with the demonic is always on a 'need to know' basis. The subject arouses curiosity that is not healthy. But demons are real and they at times have to be dealt with.

2012/9/19 19:07Profile
onemite

Re:

Thank you for responding.
Had I done my own homework I would have seen that the first mention of demons are in Leviticus 17, so if God said they would no longer offer sacrifices unto them, that people became conscious of them on some level- at least after God pointed it out, if not before.
A lot of scriptures come to mind that were reason for my original question but I agree with you in that God will dispense that knowledge to me as needed and the quote that you end with sums up what I need to know for now.

Quote:
Obedience is better esteemed with God than acquired knowledge, it is the most important lesson -fundamental to the gaining of all spiritual knowledge from God. (GW North)

2012/9/19 21:21Profile

Re: How come people recognized demon possession in the N.T?

Quote:

Up until John, it was flesh performing the deeds of the law. When Christ started preaching the kingdom of God, He entered the realm of the Spiritual which was never done before. He was now on Satan's turf if you like and demons were manifesting all over the place.

Why?

Light! Light has come and the darkness comprehended it not.

When Israel did what God wanted, her enemies were scattered, they were always pushed back, expelled or destroyed. When they were walking in obedience they were in actuality walking in the Light. This is what it means to walk in the Spirit, it's walking in obedience.

Jesus was in this kingdom, He hath bound the strong man of the house and because of this binding, all manner of manifestations were taking place. When the very first person was delivered from Satan's grip, no doubt a wave of fear swept through the demonic realm and it would have caused a stir to the place where some of them would speak out saying, "are you come to torment us before the time?"

2012/9/19 23:44
onemite

Re:

Amen!
Yes, thoughts of walking in the fullness of the Holy Spirit have been at the forefront of my mind.
Darkness is dispelled in the presence of holiness.
What beautiful design God has in things that contrast.
We can see light because of dark, and we can distinguish what is dark because there is light.
The Light that had come into the world brought commotion to the darkness.
God is amazing!
He reveals as He gives grace to overcome.

2012/9/20 10:15Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy