Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Emotions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Emotions

I mentioned how my emotions have been on a wild ride in the past week...Maybe you all deserve an explanation.

Jesus tells us that if any offend one of these little ones, it were better if a millstone be hung on his neck and dropped in the middle of the sea...

OK, my husband and I had first hand knowledge to a possible child abuse case - in this case the victim was an adult, living in a foster situation. And we were proved to be right. The fallout of it was what we feared would happen, and it did.

Why did we not intervene? We tried... Now I have to deal with sadness, anger, frustration. Yet the outcome may work to bring about restoration... In reality, the solution to this situation is what we had been suggesting...

Sometimes I think ignorance would be bliss...but Christianity is one that confronts evil, sin and that means there will be war. Paul tells us we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against principalities and rulers of darkness...and war ain't no fun.

2012/9/22 11:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Perhaps there is one thing I should clarify...the abuse I am talking about is not physical nor sexual but emotional done via verbal. It was awful... And how is one to get help to fix this? Even for those who witnessed it? The perpetrators are religious folks...there you go...

2012/9/22 12:32Profile

Re: We physically experience our feelings!

Quote:
Perhaps there is one thing I should clarify...the abuse I am talking about is not physical nor sexual but emotional done via verbal. It was awful... And how is one to get help to fix this? Even for those who witnessed it? The perpetrators are religious folks...there you go...GinnyRose.

When we hear things about ourselves, especially when we are young, we learn to physically experience our emotions in our own bodies. The words we hear in our minds become translated through our sympathetic nervous systems into real chemical events. Not only are we influenced by what we hear but we are also influenced by things we see which attend to the words themselves. This is often just a look or sometimes even a gesture. After a while we learn to physically experience what is about to happen, before we even hear the words. In such a state of stimulation we are more inclined to believe the things which are said because our bodies tell us that "it must be true". After a while the mind itself begins to behave as though the things said were indeed true.

As believers and parents we need to know that the words we speak to our children are as much likely to harm them as continued physical abuse is likely to harm them. My own mother was very destructive both in her speech and in her actions. Aged 53 years now with 3 children and an extended family if you were to ask me what did I fear the most when I was a child? I would say the physical abuse. If you were to ask me what I believe harmed me the most? I would say the words! After I believed them I harmed myself more than anyone else could have done. Then I got saved. Praise God.

Anyone who has become destructive in their speech can and should change their minds and repent of it. Our children do understand the difference between making a mistake and being unjust and hurtful. They will forgive the mistake but they will be incapable of resisting the effect if we do not repent. The fact that believers can be just as destructive as unbelievers should not really surprise us. Only when we truly understand God's own mind, through obedience, will we be able to turn from what lies in our own minds and bodies. In this regard it will come down to bearing the cross and denying ourselves just as much for destructive speech as it does for any other sin. May The Lord bless and uphold the young person you have spoken about. May He also show the foster parents their error and grant them true repentance.

2012/9/22 13:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"If you were to ask me what I believe harmed me the most? I would say the words!"

No doubt.. When you are told you are not much by an authority figure you will believe it and act like it. So it was with this lady. I had to work hard to get her to believe otherwise. But I was not done with her...I could see the devastating effects this abuse was having on her, the bad choices she made because of it.

QUOTE:
"May He also show the foster parents their error and grant them true repentance."

I hope so. There are many people praying for this situation. This girl has been so damaged emotionally it will take nothing less then a miracle to make her whole...

Appreciate your testimony, Amrkelly.

ginnyrose

2012/9/22 23:14Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy