SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Historian says piece of papyrus refers to Jesus' wife

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Historian says piece of papyrus refers to Jesus' wife

A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of scripture: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife …'"

The faded papyrus fragment is smaller than a business card, with eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass. Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, “she will be able to be my disciple.”

The finding is being made public in Rome on Tuesday at an international meeting of Coptic scholars by the historian Karen L. King, who has published several books about new Gospel discoveries and is the first woman to hold the nation’s oldest endowed chair, the Hollis professor of divinity. ...

read more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49075679/ns/technology_and_science-the_new_york_times/

2012/9/19 11:32Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Historian says piece of papyrus refers to Jesus' wife

I believe in the end times there are going to be great delusions given by the enemy to try and shake the faith of even the most mature saint. We must stand firm in our faith in our precious Lord and not be shaken by these false reports.

2012/9/19 12:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Sounds like some folks are desperate for attention...

2012/9/19 12:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

If a person's faith is shaken by a 4x8 cm piece of parchment, their faith is on very shaky ground indeed.

My guess is that "bride" was mistranslated "wife" but of course that is all speculation and I don't really care because it is so ridiculous.

2012/9/19 12:17Profile
Ebedmelech

That Christ is the Bridegroom, having the Church as His bride, from which spiritual children were to be born.

/.../cyprian/three books of testimonies against the jews/19 that christ is the.htm
http://christianbookshelf.org/cyprian/three_books_of_testimonies_against_the_jews/index.html

2012/9/19 12:30Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

One highly incomplete manuscript written 4 centuries after the fact will I'm sure be enough evidence in some peoples' minds to disbelieve the THOUSANDS of Gospel accounts dating earlier that say plenty to the contrary. This type of stuff is only ammo for the desperate.

2012/9/19 12:35Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I read this article in the New York Times yesterday. My wife commented that the little fragment lacks context. From this tiny and incomplete scrap of papyrus taken some 300-500 years after the crucifixion, we can't know if someone was quoting the Biblical Jesus, mentioning Jesus in context of their own life (as in a prayer for the writer's wife) or quoting Jesus in a parable. And, of course, there were already false gospels being spread in the 1st Century A.D. as well as the 4th Century A.D.

One argumentative person was trying to compare this with the history of the Pilgrims. My wife explained that the difference is that there were complete accounts -- including autobiographies, contemporary biographies, public ledgers, etc... -- upon which the Pilgrims' history could be based. That is a far cry from a small 1.5 inch x 3 inch piece of papyrus.

And, of course, there are some scholars who are now saying that this might even be a forgery.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2012/09/19/jesus-wife-papyrus-under-scrutiny/

One thing is certain: Some people are LOOKING for reasons to not believe in the Lord. Some are desperately looking for confirmation of their own prejudices and will cling to anything -- no matter how small or even fraudulent -- to ease their conscience regarding the existence of God or the eternal consequences of their souls.

2012/9/19 13:19Profile
brothagary

Re:

to me it sounds like nothing but a another fragment of a gnoctic gosple probable refuring to mary magdelen ,,,acent herecy

2012/9/19 14:38Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Hey, wait a minute. Jesus is in my Algebra Class this year.

Actually he is a young hispanic man, but the name Jesus, Yeshua or roughly transliterated Joshua, is not all that uncommon a name. That is why He was called Jesus Christ (Jesus the one who was anointed by God). To me this is a little bit like saying that since I found a scrap of paper while on a trip to Colorado that says, "Jim murdered his first wife.", that my friend Jim in Missouri is a murderer who remarried. Never mind the fact that there are lots of men named Jim in both states. The reference to a disciple notwithstanding. Disciple is not an odd term, and many, many teachers had them.

When we seek to deny God exists and discredit Jesus Christ at every turn, we will turn to silliness to do it.

2012/9/19 14:46Profile
Sree

A believer should not lose his faith on this as well as not get offended by such News. It is our personal relationship with Jesus that matters and not what the world thinks about him.

2012/9/19 15:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy