SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Media Fast

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Media Fast

Well, I've finally done something I thought I would never do, I've had my cable TV disconnected. No TV. Period.
It's been two weeks now, and I must say, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I actually have real conversations with my wife and family and certainly have more time for reading of God's word and various books.

Sadly, some think I'm a bit of a nut.

Any thoughts?

2005/2/23 13:07Profile
Angyl

Re: Media Fast

More power to ya!

I've tried to implement a 100% media blockade in my house as well, but my wife's not havin' it. She's more or less addicted to three shows that aren't even on all the time: Survivor, American Idol, and the Amazing Race. All reality shows, but in all fairness, it is pretty much the *ONLY* TV that is watched in our house at all. Might have the news on occasionally, but other than that, we just don't watch the darn thing and prefer to spend our time online at great message boards like this one. ;-)

2005/2/23 13:14Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Hi Sentry,

I felt the Lord leading me away from secular TV in 2003. It started by me just watching various movies I had bought all the time and then I sifted away almost all together. You are right about people thinking you are a 'nut'. TV is so ingrained into the culture. Yet, I have found temptations must easier to resist. I don't think it would be a sin for me to watch a program now, but i certainly am not given to it any more. It does not make one more Spiritual to not watch TV- it merely removes a great hindrance.

You can watch and listen to sermons instead or other edifying material. Soon it becomes your normal lifestyle in the home and it is as normal as watching TV.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/2/23 13:17Profile
Holyhands

Re:

We got rid of the TV in our house 14 months ago!
It has been great! I have found it has helped me alot and i have more free time!
It's a great to block out some of that rubbish! I do have to get the Football taped for me!!!!

2005/2/23 13:36Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

My wife and I gave up television about four years ago. Since then I have had more time for God, my family, and others.

2005/2/23 13:59Profile

Re:

My wife and I gave up TV a year and a half ago, and more recently we gave up movies...we don't miss it at all. We have more time for each other and for God. But we've found that it's not just TV or movies - anything can be a distraction. Each of us ought to search our hearts and our lives to see how we our spending our time - when we stand before God will we be ashamed at the tremendous waste?

I absolutely think the media can be harmful, but i believe that what makes these things most harmful is the amount of time they consume...time that could be better spent investing in relationships - God, spouse, kids, community. I think it's wonderful when people put aside TV - but what about the other distractions. It's easy to replace TV with something else that keeps us from God.

Just some thoughts (God has been dealing with me in many areas)...

2005/2/23 14:19
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

I was actually the oppisite brother Stephen, we quit almost a year ago, we are teetering on the TV being gone, we have not had cable in over 5 years so all that ever gets played is Veggietales videos. We're weening our 2 year old now though.

2005/2/23 14:28Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

Interesting replys...

I'm very glad I did it, although my teenagers think I've lost it.
I've thought about getting "Sky Angel" (Christian Satellite) but don't want to end up in the same mess...wasting too much time in front of the TV. Speaking of Sky Angel, anyone out there familiar with it? Does it have any decent content? I'm more interested in good preaching, but I'm not very fond of most "tele-evangelist".

Thanks! and God Bless!

2005/2/23 14:44Profile
moreofHim

Re: sky angel

Mark,

This is just my personal opinion of course, but we tried sky angel once. I was very disappointed with it. It turned out to be mostly tele-evangelists and prosperity type speakers. Even the music videos they had for teens and young adults, i felt was not edifying.

It was not what I expected. :-o

In Him, Chanin

2005/2/23 16:13Profile

Bless God for those testimonies.

I have to tell you that every one of those testimonies was a joy and a blessing.

The Holy Ghost had me unplug a few years back, thank God.

God has been speaking to me on further separation from the filth and junk of the world, and I pray "Lord, make me willing to be made willing".

I'm going to print this out, and Glory to God , I'll read them at the Wednesday night meeting..

Wouldnt it be neat, if God would start a wave of His elect children coming unplugged from Babylon?

please Lord, make it so. amen.

2005/2/23 18:43

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy