SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : City Going After Another Home Bible Study

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

City Going After Another Home Bible Study

Saints just got an email from a friend. Venice FL is prosecuting a family for hosting a weekly Bible study in tbeir home. Attended by no more than 10 people. Case very scaled down compared to Phoenix.

Again there is a growing pattern of these cases that are reflecting a hostility toward the the things of Christ. And that here in America. The devil knows that when persecution comes that the remnant will meet in homes. Thus cities are starting test cases to control or make home fellowships illegal.

Someone may want to post a link to FOX News on this case..

Bearmaster.

2012/9/18 9:32
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: City Going After Another Home Bible Study

Quote:
Again there is a growing pattern of these cases that are reflecting a hostility toward the the things of Christ. And that here in America. The devil knows that when persecution comes that the remnant will meet in homes. Thus cities are starting test cases to control or make home fellowships illegal.

This is absolutely going to be happening but we must learn now to be less obvious and to still meet as brothers and sisters in the Lord. This is part of the burden of www.gospelfellowships.net that we have just started to encourage the meeting of brothers and sisters together.

2012/9/18 11:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Family Faces Fines for Hosting Bible Study

A Florida family is facing fines for hosting a weekly Bible study in their home – an act that city officials argue violates zoning codes.

Shane and Marlen Roessiger, of Venice, Fla. are facing a $250 per day fine for hosting Friday night prayer and Bible study gatherings that are attended by as many as 10 people.

“It is difficult to understand how it is illegal to have a prayer meeting on Friday night with a half dozen people but it is alright if I invited the same group on Monday evening to watch Monday night Football,” Roessiger said. ...

read more: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/family-faces-fines-for-hosting-bible-study.html

2012/9/18 11:17Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I saw the interview yesterday about the Venice incident. What is at stake here isn't necessarily persecution. It is a sign ordinance for residence. In this case Residence complained about it and there is a 30 yr old law on the books that deals with this. It is my thought that maybe he should see about putting a sign directly on his house or find out from the city what is legal?

The spokesperson said it was persecution but I believe he is mistaken. Lose your job and get run out of the neighborhood for the bible study and prayer stuff - that would be persecution.

I would call it a persecution complex. Would you?
John

2012/9/19 11:04Profile

Re: City Going After Another Home Bible Study

Quote:
I saw the interview yesterday about the Venice incident. What is at stake here isn't necessarily persecution. It is a sign ordinance for residence. In this case Residence complained about it and there is a 30 yr old law on the books that deals with this. It is my thought that maybe he should see about putting a sign directly on his house or find out from the city what is legal? Deadn.

Why would it be necessary to have any kind of sign to advertise a prayer meeting? The Holy Spirit is more than able to lead those who have a right heart and attitude of desire to pray effectually. I think this sort of thing is very exiting. It means we have to learn wisdom from above and be happy with being a hidden people.

Is it persecution? It is I believe persecution and reflects the fact that unbelievers have been biting their tongues as well as checking their inclinations to reject Christ. The fact that a 30 year old signage law is the basis for this complaint is neither here nor there. It is just a basis it isn't a reflection of the heart of the man who made the complaint. If the brother in question does get fined, it may well be equal to his loosing his job when he cant feed his family because of a fine.

2012/9/19 11:30

Re:

John if this were a random case over a sign. Then yes. One might argue persecution complex. The thing is this Venice case is set against the backdrop of a pattern of other cases occurring across America. In the forum we have discussed the Phoenix Arizona case with Michael Salmon and the couple being fined in San Juan Capistrano for having a Bible study in their home. Gilbert, AZ does not allow Bible studies to meet in homes in tbeir corporate limits. Pacific Justice institute evidently can document other cases.

In most, if not all, of these cases the issue is zoning. Claiming the targeted Bible study is not a zoned for a church. Yet the community will allow for a home to have a weekly football or poker get together. Therein lies the inconsistency. And of course the community will be ever so sly to claiming they are not denying anyone freedom of religion.

In certain restricted nations governments will use zoning and delopment laws to disband house churches and bull doze church buildings. This happened to a church in Moscow a few days ago. A church was bulldozed for land redevelopment.

My own opinion is certain communities are targeting select Bible studies and house churches to see how far they can go at control. Perhaps I am being paranoid. But a ground work may be laid that will make house churches illegal. For when persecution comes the remnant will meet in homes. And these will be the ones the government will shut down.

Again. Just my thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/19 11:53

Re:

Perhaps I am reading too much here. But it does seem like a pattern of these cases are emerging in this country. Perhaps someone with more internet savy can correct me.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/19 12:02
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ok, so there is an ordinance on the books prohibiting signs in one's yard.

Now it is election year, does this ordinance limit the use of political signs as well? No? if so why not? Or, how about people putting out 'signs' declaring their allegiance to a college football team? Is there some discrimination involved? Why single out religious meetings?

So, if they succeed in outlawing home Bible studies and people will be forced to go to another public place, like a park or the woods, will they come after them there as well?

Reckon I am paranoid?

2012/9/19 12:10Profile

Re:

Ginny good observation. No doubt that someone could put up a sign promoting their favorite political candidate or football team. And for that matter a sign saying their house is for sale. But advertise a Bible study or promote prayer, the authorities are at your door.

Again I ask the forum. Is it my imagination or are we seeing an increase in these type of cases?

Bearmaster.

2012/9/19 13:01
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

This is the coverage I saw. Also, pay attention to what signs are allowed as you watch/read it.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/19579210/2012/09/18/sign-cross-stir-controversy-in-venice-neighborhood

2012/9/19 13:20Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy