SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this legalistic?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Is this legalistic?

Quote:
hachi
To tell someone that they must read their Bible on a daily basis? If so, please explain why. If not, please also explain.

My guess is the person that told you this, reads theirs everyday. See there is a thing with "most" "no all" Christians that you should do as they do, because it's not "fair" if you don't and they do, and many are very verbal about it, in a very indirect way. I am lead by the spirit not man, and when you break the chains of man, and start letting the spirit lead you, is when you will really be able to enjoy the life Christ died to give you. Break the bondage of man, and start listening to Christ today, look at all the folks in the Bible, David, Paul, Daniel, Joseph, and Job, who did they listen to, man or God? I think Job could preach you a 1000 sermons, on why you don't want to be lead by man.

2012/9/13 10:26Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Those who run through a garden often miss what another experiences who happens upon a lonesome flower on barren land. As we read what Christ reveals of the Kingdom of God, how much like the Kingdom is that scrap of paper holding but a few precious verses. It would seem the smallest of seeds compared to the great volumes most of us have in our possession yet how great a tree is found that comes from such meager beginnings.

2012/9/13 10:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I never had her hooked to the cart, but if I did, knowing her, by some miraculous thing, the cart would be pulling her. LOL"

Hmmm....sounds like a horse that would have served humanity better by being made into dog food! lol

ginnyrose

2012/9/13 11:13Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

I thought I would write personally that reading the Bible is important to knowing God intimately. He speaks to out in His word and you speak back to Him through prayer. John 17:3 says eternal live is in "knowing" God.

May we read the word of God to communion with the Lord not to just learn more facts about Him. This message by Jim Cymbala speaks powerfully to this truth:

I Am A Branch by Jim Cymbala
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=24014&commentView=itemComments

2012/9/13 11:20Profile

Re:

What about those ancient men that didn't have a bible?

They were the real McCoy that became the actual bible that we read today.

Enoch never had a bible, yet he was a righteous man, walked with God and God was so pleased with him that he was translated to heaven and didn't see death.

Abraham didn't have a bible to read. Yet, he was called the "Friend of God".

Moses wrote the first five books, what he heard was an oral history. Here he was with the limitation compared to what we have today and God caused the sea to roll back through this man, caused a river to spring forth from a rock through him, staid the hand of God, and much much more and he didn't have a bible, all he had was what was told to him.

We need to read the bible whenever possible, not to learn, but to read it. It's the Spirit of God that causes us to understand what we are reading. Without this understanding from the Teacher, it would be fruitless reading, because the act of reading the bible requires one ingredient, Faith. We read it because we are seeking something. We are seeking to know Him more and that requires faith and he that comes to God must exhibit this faith, without it it's impossible to please Him.

This is what pleased God from all those men back in the day and the requirement is still required. God doesn't want our performance, He wants us to take the faith that He has given us and to show it toward Him.

Abraham was righteous because He exhibited faith toward God and not toward himself or anyone else. He called unto God!

THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE WHOLE WORD OF GOD. It's to get you and I to call upon God for our help and not the arm of flesh.

When we read from all the bible, it shows us one thing, calling upon God caused God to act on their behalf. It's not enough to learn it once, we need to continue doing it lest we forget, because WE WILL FORGET. It's human nature to forget.

I am using bold language basically for myself, I need to hear that too.

God bless.

2012/9/13 12:42
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Approved
What about those ancient men that didn't have a bible?

Whoa! that's out of the box thinking. :)

2012/9/13 13:27Profile

Re:

It Is not legalistic to tell someone they must read tbeir Bible daily. It Is necessary. I say again. It is necessary for our spiritual survival. When Keith Daniel was converted. The man who led him to Christ told this brother that it was necessary he stay in the Bible. Keith was encouraged read 15 minutes in the New Testament in the morning. 15 minutes in the Old Testament in the evening. In doing so he would have gone through the Bible in a year. The more time you spend reading the word. The more you will know it. And it will change your life. Certainly Keith Danils is living proof changed by the word.

It is has been my observation that the saint God uses is one who spends extended time n the word. Keith Daniels, Art Katz, Denny Kenniston, Charles Spurgeon, George Mueller, Whitfield, the Wesleys, Edwards. These and and others God has used have been men who knew the word.

Hopefully the desire of every saint is to be used effectively for Christ. To do so one needs to be in the word. God grant that we would be as Spurgeon and Bunyon. That we would be Biblene.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/13 14:03
hachi

Re:

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Sorry it has taken me a bit to respond back due to a hectic week. I ask because it was in a book I read. The author felt it was legalistic to tell someone they should be in the Word daily. I suppose it has to do with the way you word something when you say MUST or SHOULD, although I still feel inclined to believe that it wouldn't be out of line or legalistic to say a Christian must be in the Word daily, according to various Scriptures. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were told this

"You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
(Deu 11:18-19 ESV)

So why would we ever think that it would be legalistic to tell someone to read their Bible daily when God told them to be reminded of His Words not daily, not twice a day, but rather all day. It seems to me that God is trying to get the point across that we should be absorbed in His Word that it is something that becomes a part of our lives. We are to read the Bible as Christians, and I know that I can get lazy and choose not to read because I don't want to. But we're supposed to read when we don't want to; otherwise Satan can get a hold of us and turn that into another day which turns into another week and can even turn into a month and so on. Just my thoughts on this. I for one feel it is important to be in the Word on daily basis based upon Scriptures such as the above.

2012/9/13 23:24Profile

Re: Hachi

Good post and thread, my brother. Indeed if the Old Covenant saints were commanded and exhorted to be in the word. How much more should we be even in the New Covenant. And because of the urgency of the hour we need to be saturating our minds and hearts with the truth of Jesus.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/14 8:01

Re:

Quote:
So why would we ever think that it would be legalistic to tell someone to read their Bible daily

That is not the argument.

There is nothing legalistic about urging anyone to read their bible, thats not it at all. It's saying things like, "If you don't read your bible daily, your going to hell". Or if "If you don't read your bible daily, you won't get close to God".

I know people that read their bible daily and they were no closer to God than the drunk down the street. When I look at these people I wonder why they do not have the mercy and faith along with their judgmental spirit. Why? Because as much as they read their bible daily, to them it's something that they think they "have" to do to please God. And this is where people have gotten into trouble. And it's here that bible reading has become legalistic.

Faith comes by HEARING and HEARING by the word of God. It doesn't say, faith cometh by READING and READING by the word of God.

The use of the word WORD here does not mean what is printed on ink and paper, it's the Logo's speaking to the heart of man which ignites faith. Some people hear an actual voice, while most hear it in their spirit.

The word "Hearing" means to pay heed and obey to what your hearing.

If someone is listening to a sermon but they do not pay heed to it they did not hear it. They were deaf during the whole message.

If a marriage counsellor is telling the husband to humble himself, but then he refuses, it's as if he never heard the advice. If he changes his mind and does it, he has finally heard it and obeyed. Romans 10:8 The Logo's is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the Logo's of faith, which we preach;

This is what it means when Jesus said of the Pharisees when they would shut their eyes and close their ears. They heard the voice of Jesus speaking but they would not allow it to sink down into their ears so the Logo's could change their heart and save them.

Reading the bible for the sake of duty will only frustrate the believer. Reading the bible with a desire to know God and a desire to love Him and walk with Him through obedience, now that is a true worshipper. John 4:23

Proverbs 18:1 Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom.

When I was 15 years old, I found a bible that was stuffed in some boxes in a closet as I was snooping around and thought I'd read it. It looked interesting and being a brought up in the Church for some time and baptized in a local Pentecostal church I felt it was time to know the person that I had no clue was. There was a desire to read this bible, I had no idea where it came from, but it was there. So I started to read it and I will say this that I am not a book reader. I do not pick up a book and read it from cover to cover unless it's something quite remarkable. I get bored easily especially if there are no pictures in the book. But surprisingly, this New Testament seems to come alive to me, and I couldn't put it down. I went through it and wept and as soon as I finished Revelation, I started back with Matthew and read it again. I was mesmerized by the content and I knew that I had fallen head over heels with Jesus Christ.

After that I was reading the bible periodically until the Lord showed me that I should read the KJV. I picked up this bible one day and started reading the Old Testament and I felt this overwhelming authority from it and I knew that God was telling me that I should use this from now on. To this day I cannot read the elementary (goodnews) bible again.

The desire to read the Old Testament increased and then finally it waned to periodical reading, "Here a little, there a little". I have come to learn in my walk with God that to whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more, Luke 12:48

This is why I personally do not read the bible often because I do not want to know more than I already know now. I can barely make do with what has been given to me already, more will only make things worse. I find the "here a little, there a little" precept to be much more beneficial than to have all knowledge and have no charity to carry out the work.

2012/9/14 8:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy