SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Do we have the freedom to decide how many children to bear?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: Side note

One poster wrote,

"...young couples need to carefully consider the use of contraceptives and the health issues as well as spontaneous abortions that can be caused by these drugs. I would never have used them when I was younger knowing what I know now."

For any young couples, or any couples for that matter, the best researched read on this subject is a small book by Randy Alcorn.

It may be found at the following link, and may also be read online for anyone who is interested.

http://www.epm.org/store/product/birth-control-pill-book/

"The Pill is used by about fourteen million American women each year. Across the globe it is used by about sixty million. The question of whether it causes abortions has direct bearing on untold millions of Christians, many of them prolife, who use and recommend it. For those who believe God is the Creator of each person and the giver and taker of human life, this is a question with profound moral implications.

In 1991, while researching the original edition of ProLife Answers to ProChoice Arguments, I heard someone suggest that birth control pills can cause abortions. This was brand new to me; in all my years as a pastor and a prolifer, I had never heard it before. I was immediately skeptical.

My vested interests were strong in that Nanci and I used the Pill in the early years of our marriage, as did many of our prolife friends. Why not? We believed it simply prevented conception. We never suspected it had any potential for abortion. No one told us this was even a possibility. I confess I never read the fine print of the Pill’s package insert, nor am I sure I would have understood it even if I had." (Randy Alcorn, from his book)

"After coming to grips with the importance of this issue, and hearing conflicting opinions for the last few years, I determined to research this question thoroughly and communicate my findings, whether or not I liked what I found. I wanted, and still want, the answer to this question to be "No." I came to this issue as a skeptic. Though I heard people here and there make an occasional claim that the Pill caused abortions, I learned long ago not to trust everything said by sincere Christians, who are sometimes long on zeal but short on careful research." - Randy Alcorn

One thankful reader wrote this to the author,

"Thank you for your information on birth control. Being strongly prolife and a biology major, it has always been in the back of my mind that birth control pills caused abortions. Thank you for sending the message to others that are prolife. Right now you can pray for my husband and I as we are trying to conceive another child and are having difficulties and am searching for answers, hence I came upon your sight." M. B.

Reviews

"By carefully detailing the available medical information concerning the abortifacient effects of oral contraceptives, Randy Alcorn has developed a logical and thoughtful challenge to every prolife person. The conclusions of this study are scientifically accurate. Birth control pills usually prevent pregnancy, but sometimes they cause an abortion. Questions? Objections? Randy has addressed them in a gentle but firm way. This is the manner in which the often fiery debate over prolife subjects should be carried out- unemotionally, intelligently and quietly. The evidence is before us . . . 'How should we then live?'" -- Patrick D. Walker, M.D., Professor of Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

"From medical textbooks and pharmacy references, to statements from the Pill-manufacturers themselves, this book proves, beyond any doubt, the abortion-causing action of birth control pills. This book should be read by everyone interested in knowing the truth." -- Paul L. Hayes, M.D., Board Certified Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians/Gynecologists

"I endorse Randy Alcorn's book with gusto. He has answered the title question with the care and compassion of a pastor, having searched out the facts with the diligence of an experienced researcher. He has provided all women in their reproductive years with an invaluable resource which will allow them to be fully informed about the birth control pill." -- William F. Colliton, Jr., M.D., Clinical Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, George Washington University Medical Center

"I must admit that I read this book with vested interests. My wife and I had been using the pill for a while so that I could finish graduate school before we had children (I am getting a Master's in theology as a Southern Baptist preacher). However, the strong empirical and logical arguments from this book changed my mind concerning the effects of all BCPs (birth control pills). I promise you that if you read this book and evaluate the research and examine the cogency of Alcorn's arguments with an objective mindset, you will be convinced of the abortifacent effects of BCPs. As a Christian and strong pro-life advocate, I cannot ignore the valid research which strongly suggests that BCPs are not only contraceptive in nature, but also abortifacient. I encourage to read this book very carefully." Joshua Wagner

2012/9/14 1:19Profile
jochbaptist

An alternative to the PILL

If I do the math correctly, there are at least 7 children mentioned here, in the house our Lord grew up in.
Matthew13:55
Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”

My wife and I have 4 daughters, of which we "planned" for 1, the others came by His sovereign will.

We also were not able to use the Pill without going against our consciences, and after searching a bit found that the best form of natural contraception for us was the Billings ovulation method. -

http://www.thebillingsovulationmethod.org/en/

Blessings

Joch

2012/9/14 2:51Profile
MaryJane

Re: An alternative to the PILL

We also were not able to use the Pill without going against our consciences, and after searching a bit found that the best form of natural contraception for us was the Billings ovulation method. -

http://www.thebillingsovulationmethod.org/en/

Blessings

Joch

There are some other good methods out there that do not harm the mother or lead to a spontaneous abortion. When we go to GOD in prayer HE will lead us to know what is best for each one. I think as long as the husband and wife come together and seek GOD then they will know just the right number of children HE has for them.

I know of one couple who prayed in such a way and had no children of their own but so sure was the wife that they were to share their love with others they looked into adoption and now are a family of 4. GOD knows what is best :)

God Bless
mj

2012/9/14 9:18Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy