SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : SDA Salvation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

SDA Salvation

I recently learned that my nephew, by marriage, got baptized into the SDA church. I found this from his facebook page that was posted onto mine. He also posted a few scripture references to it but it doesn't say much at all about being born again. He is 12 years old.

I have read up on SDA and actually went with them, a number of times to the SDA church, but through it all I have never taken time to understand how a person comes to salvation under the SDA banner. I just know that they adhere strictly to dietary laws and emphasize the Sabbath out of all the 10 Commandments.

I have also learned that when a kid hits 12 they are pressured to join the church. He is 12 and he is an aunt and uncle who are missionaries and very evangelical who live around the corner from them. I am wondering how much of an influence they had on this situation. As for me, I have to ask my wife to ask her sister about the circumstances behind this decision.

I find the whole the whole thing fishy but also an opportunity, as well, to talk about the gospel.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with SDA or even some other religious ideology with family or friend and how did you react to it?

2012/9/10 8:55Profile
roadsign

Re: SDA Salvation

Quote:
Has anyone ever had a similar experience with SDA or even some other religious ideology with family or friend and how did you react to it?

Yes, I can relate. I’m sure we could each add a long list of similar concerns about questionable religious ideologies. But in doing that we put our own ideologies at risk. We focus on that which we can do nothing about, while our minds drift away from what IS our calling. Here’s what I would suggest. Write all your concerns about other people and their ideologies on a list. Grieve over these symptoms of the loss of a perfect, sin-free world. Yet grieve as one who has hope, not one who has become embittered and despairing. After all, all is not hopeless when we see through God’s promises.

Leave this all in his hands – and symbolize your commitment with a burning ceremony. Burn the list.

And then begin afresh – seeking rather, the insurmountable blessings of God through his Son. When your life overflows with the fullness of Christ – you will be a light for Christ in this fallen world - and also an encourager for fellow believers.

“Set your heart (focus your attention) on things above.” Col. 3:1

Diane

2012/9/10 9:54Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Diane

I agree with your comments and it reminds me to just separate myself from so much irritation involved in religious ideology and go my way.

2012/9/10 10:11Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I agree with your comments and it reminds me to just separate myself from so much irritation involved in religious ideology and go my way.

Yes, we need to encourage each other to see our world through the blessings of God’s goodness – no matter where we are. God has not given up on humanity. He continues to offer his forgiveness through his new Life. And that is filled with beauty beyond measure.

Right now I’m reading a book called “One Thousand Gifts: A dare to live fully right where you are” by Ann Voscamp. In her creative literary style, Ann paints “a thousand” pictures of blessings which she sees in her every day world. What a way to praise the Lord, nourish the soul, and build up others in their faith!

Diane

2012/9/10 11:27Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

4give my ignorance; what is SDA? from what i gathered from this conversation they hold to the 10 commandments, and thats the issue? shouldnt we all? please help me out with this. not sure what the issue is.

2012/9/10 13:25Profile
proudpapa

Re: SkepticGuy

Hi SkepticGuy you asked ///4give my ignorance; what is SDA///

I believe that they are referring to seventh day adventist.

I used to listen to Amazing Facts ministries by Joe Crews I never heard one bad thing said.
Some of there end times literature that I have read seems a bit off.
I am sure I will pay for saying this but as pastor Don Cole of moody has said I would not consider them a cult.

Edit: I wrote bob I meant Don

2012/9/10 14:29Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

skepticguy

SDA is Seventh Day Adventist church. Most people know of them because they go to church on Saturday which they say is the 'true' Sabbath. They also want promote keeping the Commandments but Keeping the Sabbath often time seems to be the most important.

Periodically they will do weekly seminars about bible prophecy. If you go to each one you will gently watch as they steer you to the knowledge that the SDA church is the true church on the Earth. They do it through a series of time lines.

The people are nice and well meaning but I think the doctrines are messed up. Also, they do not believe in Hell as a place of eternal torment. Essentially, the soul will be come null and void if the soul goes to their teaching of hell.

2012/9/10 14:31Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

ok, thank you for the information. i drive by one of their churches a lot, just had not heard of them being called 'sda' before.

2012/9/10 15:13Profile
proudpapa

Re: SDA Salvation

Hi Deadn

RE: Deadn wrote /// a number of times to the SDA church, but through it all I have never taken time to understand how a person comes to salvation under the SDA banner.///

. Experience of Salvation:
In infinite love and mercy God made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might be made the righteousness of God. Led by the Holy Spirit we sense our need, acknowledge our sinfulness, repent of our transgressions, and exercise faith in Jesus as Lord and Christ, as Substitute and Example. This faith which receives salvation comes through the divine power of the Word and is the gift of God's grace. Through Christ we are justified, adopted as God's sons and daughters, and delivered from the lordship of sin. Through the Spirit we are born again and sanctified; the Spirit renews our minds, writes God's law of love in our hearts, and we are given the power to live a holy life. Abiding in Him we become partakers of the divine nature and have the assurance of salvation now and in the judgment. (2 Cor. 5:17-21; John 3:16; Gal. 1:4; 4:4-7; Titus 3:3-7; John 16:8; Gal. 3:13, 14; 1 Peter 2:21, 22; Rom. 10:17; Luke 17:5; Mark 9:23, 24; Eph. 2:5-10; Rom. 3:21-26; Col. 1:13, 14; Rom. 8:14-17; Gal. 3:26; John 3:3-8; 1 Peter 1:23; Rom. 12:2; Heb. 8:7-12; Eze. 36:25-27; 2 Peter 1:3, 4; Rom. 8:1-4; 5:6-10.)

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

2012/9/10 15:48Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I am really amazed how SDA can go from what you posted , proudpapa, to what they practice afterward but you know something? I am not going to worry about it unless it lands on my doorstep. Part of it is a little but at a distance.

2012/9/10 16:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy