Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Thomas Shepard quote

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Thomas Shepard quote

"You have the pillow of peace to lie on, and the cares of the world to make you dream away your time, and you have no pinching persecutions to awaken you." (Thomas Shepard quote)

Perhaps the church in this country has been resting far to long, and the cares of the world have drawn our attentions and affections away from our first love JESUS. Perhaps the coming persecution is really a merciful kindness, from a loving FATHER to HIS sleepy eyed children so they be found ready...

Something to ponder

God bless
maryjane

2012/9/6 20:50Profile

Re: Thomas Shepard quote

Maryjane writes.........

" Perhaps the coming persecution is really a merciful kindness, from a loving FATHER to HIS sleepy eyed children so they be found ready..."

Dear sister, you have captured the spirit of what the Lord has laid on my own heart and what permeates anything I have written on the subject. Whatever draws us near to the heart of God is a good and blessed thing, and God alone knows what it takes to waken up His people........bro Frank

2012/9/7 0:16
MaryJane

Re:

Whatever draws us near to the heart of God is a good and blessed thing, and God alone knows what it takes to waken up His people........bro Frank

I will admit there are times in my weakness when I have struggled in seeing this but more and more as I walk with HIM I see it is so.

I wanted to encourage you also to keep writing, I find such blessing in the things you share here with us. Very good seeds!!

God bless
mj

2012/9/7 9:07Profile
MaryJane

Re:

It is the Lord’s glorious wisdom to wither all your flowers, which refreshed you without Christ—that you might feel a need of Him.” (Thomas Shephard, founder of Harvard University)

As I have been thinking over these words I wonder can I look at their meaning and rejoice, knowing that the LORD longs to draw me near and will do what is necessary to remove those stumbling blocks that I allow between us? Anytime I take my focus off of JESUS and give my attention and love to something other then CHRIST it becomes a stumbling block between me and my LORD. It is for my good that he works in my life pruning where necessary the affection of self towards stuff. I can only imagine how dark and lonely my life would be if JESUS were not a part of it. I might find myself surrounded by flowers, with brilliant sunshine filling the skies above me but would there still be the same joy and peace that I find by sitting in HIS presence? Its true that as I walk with my JESUS there are times of difficulty, and times of trail but the joy that fills my heart knowing HIM far outweighs any sorrows. I am reminded even in the darkest nights, or the raging storms JESUS never gives me more then I can bare...it is always HIS strength that carries me through.

God bless
maryjane

2012/9/8 22:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy