SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Black Eye Can be a Good Thing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

A Black Eye Can be a Good Thing

"Remember, it is better to suffer for doing good, if that is what God wants, than to suffer for doing wrong." (I Pet. 3:17)

In a classic Andy Griffith episode, Opie is tormented by a mean bully who extorts his milk money every morning before school. Opie was afraid of the bully, and went through all sorts of gyrations to come up with extra nickels so he could pay the bully and still buy milk. After all, he didn’t want soft bones. The only problem was that every time he paid the bully, it was eating him up on the inside, because he knew this wasn’t the right solution. Finally, bolstered by some excellent fatherly advice, he stood up to the bully. Sure, the bully gave him a black eye, but the bully got his, and Opie kept his milk money. And like he told his Pa with a big smile on his face, “sandwiches sure do taste better with milk.”

Sometimes we are a lot like Opie. We’re afraid to stand up for what’s right because we are afraid of the consequences. "I might be misunderstood… " "They’ll think I’m a fanatic…" "I might be inconvenienced…" "It might cost me financially." But, as Andy explained to Opie before the big showdown, the FEAR of the consequences is almost always worse than the ACTUAL consequences. The above verse confirms this, and so does I Pet. 3:14: "But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it." In other words, if we do the right thing, we will have a sense of satisfaction on the inside even if there are some unpleasant consequences. Pleasing God carries its own reward, but God promises His blessing as well.

God expects us to do the right thing, regardless of the potential consequences. Otherwise, following Jesus would be a walk in the park, which, of course, is clearly not the case. But it certainly beats the alternative!

2012/9/3 17:54Profile

Re: A Black Eye Can be a Good Thing

Quote:
God expects us to do the right thing, regardless of the potential consequences.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

2012/9/4 1:46
notlongnow

Re: A Black Eye Can be a Good Thing

Thanks for this. It was very good.

2012/9/4 4:08Profile
learn

Re:

TMk, thanks and that's the truth.

2012/9/4 6:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.