SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Is God really angry?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: If this be Not true than God is a Liar and we can throw it all away

Quote:
If that is the God you are presenting, you can have him, I will stick with the heavenly Father that I have come to know who does get angry sometimes, but not all the time. Who has no problems with those who sin, they are only hurting themselves.

I'll make this real simple....if you can find one thing that is Not true in the Bible we can throw it all away and go about doing whatever we want. So....ask yourself the question...Is God a Liar?

Assuming that you answer that God is Not a Liar...then here is your answer to your text I put in quotes....

[b]Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. [/b]

My advice to you is spend more time in Prayer in front of God on your knees and you will learn more about God....also if you really spend time reading the Entire Bible as many times as you can you will learn about God. That is what I have learned personally.....if you spend more time watching TV than you do in front of God and/or in devotions per day....than God is Not #1 in your life....your TV set is #1. The last note is not directed at anyone person.
PJ

2005/3/3 20:05
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I was looking into this verse and was surprised to see Youngs Literal Translation, which reads God is a righteous judge, And He is [u]not[/u] angry at all times. (Psa 7:11 YLT)The underlining is mine.

I then decided I would see what Clarke said about it;Psa 7:11 -
God is angry with the wicked every day - The Hebrew for this sentence is the following: ועל זעם בכל יום veel zoem becol yom; which, according to the points, is, And God is angry every day. Our translation seems to have been borrowed from the Chaldee, where the whole verse is as follows: אלהא דינא זכאה ובתקוף רגיז אל רשיעי כל יומא elaha daiyana zaccaah ubithkoph rageiz al reshiey col yoma: “God is a righteous Judge; and in strength he is angry against the wicked every day.”
The Vulgate: Deus Judex justus, fortis, et patiens; numquid irascitur per sinpulos dies? “God is a Judge righteous, strong, and patient; will he be angry every day?”
The Septuagint: Ὁ Θεος Κριτης δικαιος, και ισχυρος, και μακροθυμος, μη οργην επαγων καθ’ ἑκαστην ἡμεραν; “God is a righteous Judge, strong and longsuffering; not bringing forth his anger every day.”
Syriac: “God is the Judge of righteousness; he is not angry every day.”
The Arabic is the same as the Septuagint.
The Aethiopic: “God is a just Judge, and strong and longsuffering; he will not bring forth tribulation daily.”
Coverdale: God is a righteous judge, and Gob is ever threateninge.
King Edward’s Bible by Becke 1549, follows this reading.
Cardmarden: God is a righteous judge, [strong and patient] and God is provoked every day. Cardmarden has borrowed strong and patient from the Vulgate or Septuagint, but as he found nothing in the Hebrew to express them, he put the words in a smaller letter, and included them in brackets. This is followed by the prose version in our Prayer Book.
The Genevan version, printed by Barker, the king’s printer, 1615, translates thus: “God judgeth the righteous, and him that contemneth God every day.” On which there is this marginal note: “He doth continually call the wicked to repentance, by some signs of his judgments.” My ancient Scotico - English MS. Psalter only begins with the conclusion of this Psalm.
I have judged it of consequence to trace this verse through all the ancient versions in order to be able to ascertain what is the true reading, where the evidence on one side amounts to a positive affirmation, “God is angry every day;” and, on the other side, to as positive a negation, “He is Not angry every day.” The mass of evidence supports the latter reading. The Chaldee first corrupted the text by making the addition, with the wicked, which our translators have followed, though they have put the words into italics, as not being in the Hebrew text. In the MSS. collated by Kennicott and De Rossi there is no various reading on this text.
The true sense may be restored thus: -
אל el, with the vowel point tsere, signifies God: אל al, the same letters, with the point pathach, signifies not. [b]Several of the versions have read it in this way: “God judgeth the righteous, and is Not angry every day.” He is not always chiding, nor is he daily punishing, notwithstanding the continual wickedness of men: hence, the ideas of patience and longsufferiny which several of the versions introduce. Were I to take any of the translations in preference to the above, I should feel most inclined to adopt that of Coverdale.[/b]Clarke should never be disregarded although occasionally he takes an unexpected turn. His preference for Coverdale here is because of the sense that God does not leave the wicked unaware of His righteous judgment, and is constantly threatening 'every day'.

The Geveva Bible, that most Protestant of all translations, has in its margin a note Psa 7:11 - God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry [with the wicked] (i) every day.

(i) He continually calls the wicked to repentance by some sign of his judgments. pointing out, by means of the square brackets, that the words [with the wicked] are not in the original Hebrew (the KJV does the same with italics), which undermines this thread somewhat?.:-?

2005/3/4 14:12Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
which undermines this thread somewhat?.

And I would add humbly, maybe our true heart attitude toward the unrepentant sinner. :-(

Well done Ron, thats some awesome mining.

2005/3/4 14:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Perhaps this verse

Hi Ron,

This is quite something here. But if I am taking it all into account correctly it doesn't seem to have changed anything at all.

Quote:
God judgeth the righteous

Seems to imply that it has been meted out and in more than just a once for all kind of sense as was positioned very early on here.

Thinking along the lines of "Those He loves He chastises".

But it is all rather besides the point as it relates to much of where this discussion has taken us. If I may put it, the "type" of 'anger' we are discussing in the first place.

So I don't see it undermining anything and do note the "?" at the end there...

2005/3/4 15:44Profile

Re:

Your sobering thoughts and sincere message has been received and noted.

2005/3/4 23:03

Re:

Jeremy

Thank you for your post!

Now, how can we "Come boldly unto the throne of grace" if Daddy is angry?

I want to tell you something about our household when I was growing up.

Dad was supposed to have gone into the ministry, but he ran from it, choosing to be a wealthy success instead. But with that decision, you could say that the anointing that he had, left and an evil spirit took it's place, because I don't ever recall him ever being happy.

We just lived there, we were never happy as long as he was home. When he left for a couple of weeks for a business trip, we all relaxed and it gave us time to breathe.

But when it was time for him to come home, we would take turns going to the window and seeing if the car was in the driveway.

Sometimes we would play tricks on one another and say that "Dads home" and we would scramble everything together. Clean the kitchen up quickly and then make our escape out the back door.

But dad was always angry, ready to blow up in your face at the littlest mistake or if you looked at him the wrong way, at times it was intense.

Everyone outside the house thought he was the best man around, he knew how to solve problems, and he did, he had a wisdom from a natural stand points on how to conduct business and what to do and what not to do.

His policy was if you got caught act dumb.

Earthy fathers are a representation of our heavenly Father. That is why it says to train up a child in the ways of the LORD so that when he is older he won't depart from it. That simply means that when you train up your children by correcting with loving rebukes and teaching mercy and kindness that child will have no trouble following the LORD God because his parents are an example of God on earth.

We don't see this today because children are not trained up in this way, what we do see is rebellion and a hate God mentality. Why? Because those kids see God as a God of hate and one that neglects, because they see that in their parents.

So if God is angry all the time, to tell you the truth, I would rather go and visit my Mother then to seek an angry God, at least she has mercy.

And how can you boldly go into the throne room while He is angry?

I know that when I used to enter Dads presense when he was angry, I would have been thrown clear across the room (which on occasion had happened) and then be sent to bed.

I am going to tell you what most christians think about God. They won't admit it but this is something that is locked in their subconscience.

They see God as someone with a club ready to strike them down when they sin or fail Him.

So they wrap themselves up with legalistic duties. By doing this or that, will help appease His anger towards them.

That is a sad picture, and that is why many do not seek Him out of a sincere heart, they seek Him out of duty, they are afraid of Him. Not a godly fear but it's how they seen their parents act towards them out of cruelty.

Before any kind of revival comes, there must be reconcilation and healing, tremondous healing.

I never used to call God my Father, he seemed so foriegn to me when I was young believer. But now, after I had gone thru some chastissements and some heavy duty trials, I love my Father more then ever. I call Him Father because He truly is my Father one who loves me, not willing that I perish but that I come to the knowledge of the truth. A Father who corrects me when I am wrong, and looks upon me with sterness when I supposed to do that which He commissioned me to do and I am not doing it.

I love His ways, because they are so opposite to the way Christianity thinks or religion for that matter.

I frequently ask Him, "what is man that you desire him or the son of man that you visit him" What is it about me that you long to be with? What is in me that you see that I don't see? because all I see is problems, failures, mistakes and heartache.

When Christ went to the cross, he didn't go alone, I went with Him. I didn't have the power to lay down my life for the sins of the whole world, but He was able to do it. When He was crucified, I was crucified with Him. When He died, I died. When He arose, I arose with Him in newness of life.

Now the old has passed away and behold all has become new.

Keep up the faith!

Karl ;-)

2005/3/4 23:53

Re:

How can I mock my Heavely Father?

He has brought me from a cess pool of filth to what I am today.

I think of myself as very small, not worthy to even look up to the heavens.

I want to fear Him in every aspect possible.

Simply put, I am trying to present the God that I have come to know, Jesus Christ.

I hold to a preterist belief that the anger of the LORD was appeased with death of Jesus on the cross and the destruction of the wicked in 70 A.D.(Jerusalem).

I have read the posts that have come in, and I can see that most have misunderstood what I was presenting.

I am not saying that God cannot be jealous, or He cannot be angry or any other atributes that He has. He created us in His image in His likness created He us. What He has breathed into me, I have those same qualities.

I do not turn a blind eye when it comes to scriptures that deal with His anger.

The writings that were written before the age of grace were written about a different God.

Oh I know the eyebrows have gone up.

The God in the old testement was a spirit, a voice, an angel, a cloud, fire etc..

But when the fulness of time came, The WORD WAS MADE FLESH.

God became a human being, thus changing the order of things. When I said He is a different God, I mean His manner of manifestation.

ALL of the fulness of God was in the one Man Christ Jesus our LORD.

That blows my mind!

You see God never experinced man's position until that day. He now felt what we feel.

Of course if your believe in a trinity of 3 seperate gods, then you can't understand any of this, but if your Triune, then you can see very clearly.

"For it behoved Him to be made like unto His brethern, that He might be merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that He himself hath suffered being tempted, He is able to succour them that are tempted."

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

Thank you brother for stimulating my thinking.

Karl

2005/3/5 0:36

Re:

WOW, well researched, well presented!

As I was reading your post, I was thinking of two verses, "He rains on the just and the unjust" AND "thou hast not dealt with us after our sins nor rewardeth us according to our iniquities".

AWESOME GOD!

Karl

2005/3/5 18:57

Re:

Whoa, where did that come from? Did I offend you brother?

The KJV is full of errors, and no we do not throw it out on account of those errors, we simply are not governed by the written letter but we are led by the Holy Ghost.

If you want to live after that letter then the flesh will manifest itself in ways that are not fit for the kingdom of God.

Now you may be asking what errors am I referring too?

The scripture that you quoted, Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

According to my King James Version, which by the way is the only version that I usually adhere too, the "With the Wicked" is in italics. This was added by the translator to add structure.

There are literally scores of this, now let me draw your attention to a verse in which the translator made a critcal error because the Italics that was added to this verse voids the divinity of Jesus as God.

In John 18:5,8 When the soldiers were asking for Jesus, Jesus said, "I am", but the translator adds the "he" to that "I am". It makes the scripture of no effect to the one who is reading this, if he has read the whole bible. What was wrong with the way it was, why add anything to this?

That is what I mean by errors.

I don't quite understand what you mean by watching T.V. I don't have a television, but I have watched some programming at a friends house. And I do watch family oriented movies. But my relationship with my heavenly Father is in restoration mode, I've had a terrible time believing that He is merciful and kind, and that He loved me. My earthly dad made this difficult for me, he was a poor father and what I saw in dad I saw in God.

But I appreciate your post, it's good to be rebuked and corrected when need be, and I am not above or I have arrived at any given point.

I try to listen to reason, I avoid theological babble and long letters that explain any fundemental teaching in Christianity, as Christiainity is not the same as the faith that was once delivered unto the saints, not by a long shot.

I welcome your input, thanks

Karl ;-)

2005/3/5 19:57

Re:

I knew that when I wrote "Fun" that it looked silly.

I guess I should have said it more like this, that earthly dads would be easier to get along with then God.

But I have not found this to be the truth, I have found that God is easier to get along with then man, because He can understand me, more than anyone that I know.

I probably ate to much popcorn when I wrote that, I am glad that you pointed that out, brother.

Remember I am not above the word, I am learning and I appreciate your input, all of you.

So please bear with my follies and lack of wisdom and knowledge, I only want to know Him above the power of God, it's the most important thing I know.

God bless

Karl

2005/3/5 20:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy