SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : In true confession a man particularizes sin- Thomas Watson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

In true confession a man particularizes sin- Thomas Watson

4. In true confession a man particularizes sin
A wicked man acknowledges he is a sinner in general. He confesses his sin wholesale. His confession of sin is much like Nebuchadnezzar’s dream: “I have dreamed a dream” (Dan. 2.3), but he could not tell what it was: “The thing is gone from me” (Dan. 2.5). In the same way a wicked man says, “Lord, I have sinned,” but he does not know what the sin is; at least he does not remember; whereas a true convert acknowledges his particular sins. As it is with a wounded man, who comes to the surgeon and shows him all his wounds (here I was cut in the head, there I was shot in the arm…) so a mournful sinner confesses the several diseases of his soul. Israel drew up a particular charge against themselves: “We have served Baalim” (Judg. 10.10). The prophet recites the very sin which brought a curse with it: “Nor have we listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name” (Dan. 9.6). By a diligent inspection into our hearts, we may find some particular sin has been indulged; point to that sin with a tear.
12 Job.

The Doctrine of Repentance. Thomas Watson
c. 1620—1686

2012/8/31 16:02Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: In true confession a man particularizes sin- Thomas Watson

Amen. If you've been truly converted, you'll know exactly where the "thorn" is lodged. And it will continue to torment you until it is extracted via confession and repentance. The Holy Spirit is like a magnifying glass in this regard: He magnifies Christ in our bodies, but He also acts on magnifying sin for our discovery. Some splinters you can get in your hand are so small, you'll need a bright light and magnifying glass to see them. The Word of God is the glass, and the Spirit of God is the light.

Post-conversion sin identification is indeed specific. Thank you for posting Thomas Watson!

Brother Paul

2012/8/31 16:16Profile
dottiejean

Pacific NW

BEAUTIFUL !!!

I love every mention of the "old paths".....and following in the sweet tracks of those who have gone on before.

I have wished 1,000 times that I had been born back in their day....I would love to have heard Watson, Spurgeon, Gurnall, Winslow and many others in their pulpits. That kind of preaching feels so pure & holy.

I love it and T.Y. for posting that truth that we all need to be very specific about our sins and "point to that sin with a tear". No superficial generalizations allowed. :)

Blessings.....

2012/9/1 0:12Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

God bless the reading.

I have found that it is not a humbling thing at all to declare one' self a sinner or writing volumes on the depravity of man , but confessing the particular sin both to God and man on the other hand is truly humbling.

2012/9/1 19:58Profile

"4. In true confession a man particularizes sin"

This man didn't, and he went home justified.

But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
(Luk 18:13-14)

2012/9/1 20:05
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Whether he did or not we do not know. we know that the pharisee did it for him. Apparantly the tax collector's sin or sins were know to all and the pharisee made sure to remind God of that on behalf of the tax collector and all the rest of the sinners out there.
That is not really the point of the parable, to emphasize the mode of the confession.
The point is: " He that exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted." and nothing is more humbling than to confess our sins in particular to God and one another, and make restitutions for the wrong we have done to others.

2012/9/1 20:44Profile

"A wicked man acknowledges he is a sinner in general."

The Puritans have a way of adding to the word of God and making rules and boxes that one must fit into to be righteous. When the Spirit of God comes upon a sinner, he may feel compelled to confess certain sins, or he may just feel the weight of being a sinner and cry out for mercy. The word of God does not say a man must particularize every sin he can think of.

I'm not saying it's wrong to particularize sin's, especially if the Lord brings them to your mind. What I object to is that calling of a person wicked if they don't. God's Spirit works on different people as He wills.

2012/9/1 21:19
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I do not think he is saying a man must particularize every sin he can think of. In fact I am sure he is not saying that, but he is saying that the Spirit points to particular sins in convicting man. God is not into abstract or theoratical concepts when it comes to dealing with sins to be repented of.

There are sins that are called beseting sins, they are sins that follow a repeated pattern, and there are sins that are comon to all mankind.

When Nathan came to David to confront him about his murder and adultery he did not mention all the sins that David commited, but what was mentioned was enough to test and humble David.

Please watch this youtube about Asbury college revival especially the part when the girl student came
confessing her beseting sin of lying.

http://youtu.be/7qOqitIKUNs

God bless.

2012/9/1 21:57Profile

Re:

Ok, I see what you are saying. I'll try to check out the video tomorrow.

2012/9/1 23:32

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy