SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Outward manifestations accompanying Revival!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
endlessjoe

University of Calabar Nigeria

Outward manifestations accompanying Revival!

I have seen a recurring decimal in the history of Revivals with regards to the accompanying outward manifestations and I seek to state them here. So we can find explanations for them even as we prepare for major the Outpourin in the weeks and months ahead.
The same day Revival broke out in Northern Ireland 1859 under d ministry of James Mcquilkin and his Prayer patners, the Prayer meetins in Fulton Street New York under Jeremiah Lamphier also experienced the Blessing.

Also in the 1904/5 Welsh Revival,the same night the break came in Loughor South Wales under Evan Roberts, Dr R.B Jones' voice was drowned out by a simultaneous audible Prayer of the congregation in thE middle of a sermon.
But despite the spontaneity of these outbreaks,a remarkable difference existed in thE intensity of the outward manifestations and Power that prevailed.
Its on record that during the 1859 Awakenning, the physical phenomena accompanying Revivals were very little in the US,almost non existent in Endland and Scotland, but very predominant in Northern Ireland.
Its also on record that the outward phenomena that prevailed in South Wales under Evan Roberts' ministry was far greater than what R.B Jones and other had in the North.
Now what is the common denominator? Could this be another fact of God,s Sovereignty of could it be accurately interpreted.
Now in my opinion,I think this occurence could be inextricably connectEd to the Spirit of Prayer that prevails in a locality relative to the other at the other end of the spectrum.
Its obvious -in my ooinion- that the Spirit of Prayer prEvailed more in Evan Robert's life bofore thE Revival than it did in R.B JonE's. I also feel James Mcquilken and his friends did a far greater knee-work than the noon Prayer meetings of Fulton Street.Hence the Spirit Prayer and d outward phenomena was far predominant in Nothern Ireland 1849.
This is my humble opinion in this matter and I'll like you to let me know your perspective along these lines. [email protected], on facebook or @ +2348034365429. Bro Emeka Joe Uzosike is a Revival enthusiast and writes rrom the heart of Tropical Africa (Nigeria)

2012/8/31 2:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Outward manifestations accompanying Revival!

I wrote 2 articles on manifestations during revival and church history clearly shows that the current specific phenoma are extra-biblical and not associated with past revivals in a good sense. These manifestations were actually considered the enemy at work or the conviction of the Spirit on the backslidden and unconverted.

REVIVAL EXPERIENCES: CRYING OUT by Greg Gordon
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15172&forum=16

REVIVAL EXPERIENCES: SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT by Greg Gordon
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14485&forum=16

2012/8/31 2:09Profile
endlessjoe

University of Calabar Nigeria

Re:

I beg to take exceptions to your opinion Sir, that these Phenomena are extra biblical., not associated with past Revivals and also may bE considered the enemy at work. Obviously Acts S:1-5 and Acts8:7 show that the Apostolic Revival had its own measure of outward phenomena that terrified outsiders. Its also on record that the first outward impact of Pentecost was so much noise enough to gather the whole city of Jerusalem and confound bystanders. Obviously no one would assume that Acts2:6 suggests that the Apostles received the Holy Spirit, spoke in tongues in a gentlemanly manner ,conducted themselves with utmost decorum and dignity and still generated enough noice to attract a whole City.
Whereas the influence of d enemy durin Revivals cannot be completely divorced as we saw in Acts8:18-20, even the chaos they seem to create is for the common good.
As touchin the outward Phenomena accompanyin Revivals, Its clear that different people react differently when they're invaded by Divinity since we do not all react simillarly to the same Stimuli.
Afterall, in the Revival that broke out in Ramah under Prophet Samuel,the three detachments of soldiers Saul sent simply prophesied and kept their dignity, yet under simillar stimuli, Saul prophesied as d others did but went further to strip himself and was in coma for 24hours.
So its not fair to divorce outward phenomena completely and label them extra biblical..

2012/8/31 3:12Profile

Re:

I am rethinking the signs and wonders issue. Or the outward manifestations of revival. Whereas I do believe in the power of the Spirit and the fact signs and miracles can and often times do accompany the preaching of the gospel. Jesus warned that false prophets will arise to deceive even the elect, if possible, with false signs and wonders.

True revival is not gauged by the outward manifestations of what may be attributed to the Spirit. But true revival is the inward work of the Spirit working in a sinners heart to bring them from darkness into light. True revival will be the Holy Spirit working in the heart of the saint to instill a greater heart felt devotion and love for Jesus. True revival will be the Spirit of God instilling power in the believer to desire greater holiness. True revival will be the Holy Spirit working within the believer for greater power to witness the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Signs and wonders will be secondary but may follow to authenticate the gospel. Remember Jesus told his disciples to not rejoice the demons submitted to them. But to rejoice their names were written in heaven. Thus a revival should be gospel centered and not signs and wonders centered.

My revised understanding.

Bearnaster.

2012/8/31 10:22

Re:

God bless you for having the guts to write these Greg.

"An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign;" -Jesus

Real revival is when the church repents, and get's back to God's way of doing things. Not laughing uncontrollably out loud, or rolling on the floor, or shaking uncontrollably, or acting like an animal, or lining up to get knocked over on your back, or acting like a drunkard. Revival has always been repentance towards God. Not the circus that gets the name "revival" tagged on it these days.

2012/8/31 11:44
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Obviously Acts S:1-5 and Acts8:7 show that the Apostolic Revival had its own measure of outward phenomena that terrified outsiders.

Simply because there were some demons being exorcised by the early Apostles does not make it a circus like modern day christian healing crusades or television programs. Also this scripture validates my articles which show clearly from all major revivals in the last 300 years that when there was a manifestation such as is deemed good in our day it was considered demonic or a person severely backslidden.

Quote:
so much noise enough to gather the whole city of Jerusalem and confound bystanders.

During the time of the festival there were more than 1 million people staying in jerusalem, by no means did it gather the entire city. Though there was enough noise to gather a crowed of people as a witness to the Gospel. Thus all true miracles bring glory to God and validate the Gospel and promote Jesus Christ not men. When a miracle promotes a man or ministry so they can become rich, that ministry is not from God.

Quote:
Whereas the influence of d enemy durin Revivals cannot be completely divorced as we saw in Acts8:18-20, even the chaos they seem to create is for the common good.

I believe you quoted the wrong verse but in some ways it is exactly the right verse for this discussion:

Acts 8:18-20
New International Version (NIV)
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 and said, “Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

20 Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

Quote:
Saul prophesied as d others did but went further to strip himself and was in coma for 24hours.

1 Samuel 19:24
He stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence. He lay that way all that day and night. This is why people say, "Is Saul also among the prophets?"

He was not necessarily a coma because the meaning of the hebrew word does not really allow this interpretation a much more likely meaning is:

c) (Hithpael)
1) to throw or prostrate oneself, throw oneself upon
2) to lie prostrate, prostrate oneself

My friend I recommend you hear this message:

Another Gospel by David Wilkerson
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2&commentView=itemComments

2012/8/31 11:47Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

If you guys are so sure they are full of devils, why not go cast them out and show some "real" signs and wonders by delivering these poor deceived fellas.

Russell

2012/8/31 12:04Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, one thing i know for sure ... if revival breaks forth from God it will be at our place and done our way. many false revivals might come in those other places.jimp

2012/8/31 12:27Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

great post jimp!

Russ

2012/8/31 12:32Profile

Re:

In the opening verses of 1 Cor.2 Paul says be determined to know nothing except Jesus and him crucified. This was the message that he preached. It was authenticated by signs and wonders. But revival must be about the message of the cross of Jesus Christ. Not the outward manifestations. Again revival is about the gospel message. The message of Jesus death, burial, and resurrection.

I have been ever so wrong to put my emphasis on signs and wonders. They may come. They may not come. Satan can duplicate signs and wonders. But he can never duplicate the true preaching of the cross.

Bearmaster..

2012/8/31 13:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy