SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : GENESIS vs. EVOLUTION

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

GENESIS vs. EVOLUTION

I saw this article and thought I would post it, especially considering some of the controversy here lately on site concerning the literal interpretation of the Bible. There is no copyright on this.

Krispy

GENESIS vs. EVOLUTION

Genesis is contrary to EVOLUTION, because it says God personally created the world. It is impossible to reconcile the theories of evolution with the teaching of the Bible. Following are six of the plain Bible statements that contradict the theories of evolution.

1. GENESIS SAYS GOD CREATED THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IN IT INSIX DAYS. According to the Bible, creation was brought into existence suddenly not gradually, which is strictly contrary to the doctrine of evolution.

2. GENESIS SAYS ALL CREATION WAS MADE TO REPRODUCE AFTER ITS KIND. The statement "after their kind" is found nine times in Genesis chapter one. This is precisely what we observe in the world. Dogs reproduce dogs, spiders reproduce spiders, birds reproduce birds, and peanuts reproduce peanuts. Animals can interbred and "evolve" within species; a Dalmatian can interbred with a Poodle; but the lines of the species cannot be crossed; a dog cannot interbred with a cat. This is what the Bible teaches and is what we can observe everywhere in nature, but it is strictly contrary to what evolution teaches.

3. GENESIS SAYS MAN AND ANIMALS ARE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT CREATIONS. Man did not descend from the animals but is a separate creation. Animals were not made in the image of God.

a. Animals are not spiritual and do not relate to God. Animals were made to relate to man and to provide his enjoyment and needs. The dog lifts up his eyes to man his master, and the man alone lifts up his eyes to his Creator God. Man was made to relate to God, to fellowship with, serve, worship, and glorify Him. No animal ever considered his daily sustenance and then lifted his heart to God in thanksgiving and praise or prayed to God for direction and wisdom.

b. Animals do not have the inventive ability of man. "The strongest evidence that men have certain powers which no other animals possess in any degree whatsoever consists in the thing which men can do but which other animals cannot do at all. One such indication is man's power of making things. I know that bees make hives, birds make nests, and beavers make dams. But such productions are entirely instinctive on their part. A given species of bird makes its nests in the same way generation after generation. This shows that the nest is a product of instinct not of art" (Mortimer J. Adler, Great Ideas from the Great Books).

c. Animals do not have the communication ability of man. "Whatever may be said for doves cooing and monkeys chattering, or the larger beasts calling for their mates, none of them have articulate speech, which they can spell, write down in books, translate for other generations, nor can they deliver orations, write poetry, or publish a paper. This is the gift of God to man, made in His image" (O.E. Sanden, Twelve Bridges No Evolutionist Has Ever Crossed).

4. GENESIS SAYS THE WORLD WAS CREATED IN SIX DAYS AND THEN THE PROCESS OF CREATION WAS FINISHED. This is what we see in creation, from the basic level of energy all of the way to the plant and animal kingdom. "No permanent change has ever since been made in the course of the world, no new species of animals been formed, no law of nature repealed or added to" (Jamieson, Fausset, Brown). The biblical fact of a completed creation is witnessed by the First Law of Thermodynamics, which is described by a secular scientist as follows: "To express all this, we can say: 'Energy can be transferred from one place to another, or transformed from one form to another, but it can be neither created nor destroyed.' Or we can put it another way: 'The total quantity of energy in the universe is constant.' When the total quantity of something does not change, we say that it is conserved. The two statements given above, then, are two ways of expressing 'the law of conservation of energy.' This law is considered the most powerful and most fundamental generalization about the universe that scientists have ever been able to make" (Isaac Asimov, "In the Game of Energy and Thermodynamics You Can't Break Even," Smithsonian Institute Journal, June 1970, p. 6). Dr. Henry Morris makes the following important observation: "The First Law is itself a strong witness against evolution, since it implies a basic condition of stability in the universe. The fundamental structure of the cosmos is one of conservation, not innovation. [The evolutionist] assumes that the process of evolution takes place within the framework of energy conservation, never stopping to wonder where all the energy came from in the first place nor how it came to pass that the total energy was constant from then on. ... the First Law shows that the universe could not have begun itself. The total quantity of energy in the universe is a constant ... Since energy could not create itself, the most scientific and logical conclusion to which we could possibly come is that: 'In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth'" (Morris, "Evolution, Thermodynamics, and Entropy," Impact No. 3, Institute for Creation Research, 1973).

5. GENESIS SAYS THE WORLD WAS CREATED PERFECT, THEN FELL UNDER SIN AND GOD'S CURSE AND HAS BEEN DETERIORATING EVER SINCE. This is consistent with everything we can observe. Everything is proceeding from order to chaos. Everything is corrupting. Evolution would require the exact opposite of this. The second law of thermodynamics is described by a secular scientist as follows: "Another way of stating the Second Law then is: 'The universe is constantly getting more disorderly!' Viewed that way, we can see the Second Law all about us. We have to work hard to straighten a room, but left to itself it becomes a mess again very quickly and very easily. Even if we never enter it, it becomes dusty and musty. How difficult to maintain houses, and machinery, and our own bodies in perfect working order; how easy to let them deteriorate. In fact, all we have to do is nothing, and everything deteriorates, collapses, breaks down, wears out, all by itself and that is what the Second Law is all about" (Isaac Asimov, "In the Game of Energy and Thermodynamics You Can't Break Even," Smithsonian Institute Journal, June 1970, p. 10). Dr. Henry Morris, founder of the Institute for Creation Research, observes: "Remember this tendency from order to disorder applies to all real processes. Real processes include, of course, biological and geological processes, as well as chemical and physical processes. The interesting question is: 'How does a real biological process, which goes from order to disorder, result in evolution, which goes from disorder to order?' ... Thus, the Second Law proves, as certainly as science can prove anything whatever, that the universe had a beginning. ... The evolutionist will not accept this conclusion, however. He hypothesizes that ... some natural law canceling out the Second Law prevails far out in space. When he makes such assumptions, however, he is denying his own theory, which says that all things can be explained in terms of presently observable laws and processes. He is really resorting to creationism, but refuses to acknowledge a Creator" (Morris, "Evolution, Thermodynamics, and Entropy," Impact No. 3, Institute for Creation Research, 1973).

6. GENESIS SAYS EVERYTHING WAS CREATED TO FULFILL GOD'S PURPOSES; THIS INCLUDES THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IN IT, AS WELL AS THE PLANETARY UNIVERSE. Teleology is the study of purposes, final causes, and evidences of design in nature. It is a fascinating study, because regardless of how minutely one studies the creation, one is impressed at the brilliant design in every detail. Study the eye, the ear, the leaf, the wing, the atom, light, sound, hydrogen--everywhere you find purpose and design. Michael Denton observes, "It is the sheer universality of perfection, the fact that everywhere we look, to whatever depth we look, we find an elegance and ingenuity of an absolutely transcending quality, which so mitigates against the idea of chance" (Denton, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, London: Burnett Books, 1983, p. 342). Even a microscopic one-celled bacterium (R. Coli) contains DNA information units that are equivalent to 100 million pages of the Encyclopedia Britannica, and all of that information works together in perfect harmony! Purpose and design is what one would expect if God created the world as the Bible says He did, but it is not what we would find if evolution were true. If the latter were true, we would find incredible chaos, happenstance, and haphazardness. We would have a world filled with monsters and unpredictable madness, part one thing and part another, a fish becoming a bird, a frog becoming a rat, a lizard becoming a bird, partially formed beaks which do not yet have a purpose, partially formed feet, partially formed wings, partially formed eyes, partially formed brains. We would have no fixed absolutes from which and with which to work. We would have no atomic clock because the atom would not be stable. We would have no sure guide across the trackless oceans because the heavenly bodies would be in fluctuation. Praise the Lord that evolution is a lie and the Bible is true.

a. Consider an example of design in the inanimate universe, the proton: "Consider the mass of the proton. Such a property of an elementary particle might at first seem of trivial significance. However, closer inspection reveals that the proton's mass has been exactly chosen to provide both its own stability and that of the entire universe. In contrast, a free neutron (n), a slightly heavier particle, decays to a proton, an electron, and an antineutrino with a half-life of just twelve minutes. Free neutrons simply cannot persist in nature. However, if the mass of a proton were somehow increased by just 0.2%, then the proton would become the unstable particle. It would quickly decay to a neutron, positron, and neutrino: This second reaction does not occur, but it would if the proton were just slightly heavier. The implications are truly universal. Of chief significance, the hydrogen nucleus is just a single proton. Thus the hypothesized rapid decay of protons would destroy all hydrogen atoms. Furthermore, hydrogen is a major component of our bodies, as well as water molecules, the sun, and all other stars. Hydrogen is, after all, the dominant element of the universe. It is obvious that the proton's mass has been wisely planned to be slightly smaller than that of a neutron, to prevent the collapse of the universe. Also, protons are not subject to the influence of mutation or natural selection. Their physical properties were chosen from the beginning and have not changed. ... The knife-edged balance of protons and forces is indeed a strong testimony to the Creation. ... Evolutionary change is entirely unable to deal with such permanent properties of nature" (Dr. Donald DeYoung, "Design in Nature," Impact No. 149, November 1985, Institute for Creation Research,).

b. Consider an example of design in the animal world, the Bombardier Beatle: The following a brief excerpt from Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution 1 by Dr. Jobe Martin (ExplorationFilms.com, 800-964-0439): "In the fall of 1971 I went to Baylor University in Dallas and gave my first lecture. It was on the evolution of the tooth. I talked about how these fish scales gradually migrated into the mouth and became teeth. A couple of students came to me after the class that day and said, 'Dr. Martin, have you ever investigated the claims of creation science?' That was 1971, and I had never even heard of it. So I said, 'Sure, I'll look into this with you.' And I'm thinking, kind of as a cocky young professor, 'I'll blow these guys away.' Well, they asked me to study the assumptions that the evolutionists make. In all of my eight years of scientific education, I had never had a single professor tell me about an assumption. So we started looking at the assumptions. I began to realize that evolutionists are making some claims that are based on assumptions that aren't valid, when they tell us that rocks are so old and these kinds of things. Then they asked me to start studying some animals and see if I thought that animal could have evolved. The first thing that we studied together was this little bug called the bombardier beetle. This little insect, which is about a half inch long, mixes chemicals that explode. I began to think, O.K. how would that evolve? If evolution is true it had to somehow evolve that. Let's assume it is evolving this defense mechanism, but the first time that it finally produces the explosion, what happens to the bug? Well, it is destroyed by the explosion, and we know that splattered bug pieces don't evolve. So I thought, how could this have happened? Well, it doesn't blow itself up. [And that is because of the intricate way that it is built.] It has another little factory inside itself and it manufactures a chemical that acts as a catalyst, so when it squirts that chemical into these other chemicals that are in a suspended state it produces the explosion. And it has an asbestos lined firing chamber to protect itself. And it has two little twin tail tubes, and it can aim these tubes out the side, even out the front. Let's say a spider is coming up toward its side and it doesn't have time to turn around and shoot. It can just take its little gun turret, aim it out to the side, and shoot. If you are listening to the explosion all you hear is a single pop, but scientists have now put that sound into slow motion, and it is like about a thousand sequential little explosions that are so fast that all we hear is one pop. So you think, why would that be? It was a curious thing for the scientists that are studying this little bug. A lot of them are at Cornell University and some other places. What they discovered was that if it were just one big explosion, the little bug would be jetted away by the force! But as long as it is a sequential explosion, the bug with his little legs can hang on. How would evolution explain a sequential explosion? This little bug messes with all of the theories of evolution. There is no way a slow, gradual process is going to produce this bug. There is no way, even, that the newer theories, such as punctuated equilibrium, can explain this bug. I began to realize that this little bug needed to have all of its parts there at once or you just don't have the animal. And my stomach started to churn. My wife will tell you that my stomach churned for five years. It took a five-year struggle for me to begin to flip the way I think, from thinking in an evolutionary way to thinking that this creature was created fully formed just like it is. That went against everything I had ever learned."

c. Consider an example of design in the human body, the eye. "The eye is constructed exactly like a camera except that it is infinitely more complex and sophisticated. Like some modern cameras, it has autofocus and automatic adjustment of the iris diaphragm. In the case of the eye, the lens actually changes its shape or correction to focus at different distances. The lens is made of living cells that are marvelously transparent as is the cornea, the window like skin that covers the eye. The most amazing component of the camera eye is its 'film' or retina. This light sensitive layer, which lines the back of the eye ball, is thinner than a sheet of Saran-Wrap and is vastly more sensitive to a wider range of light than any man-made film. The best man-made film can handle a range of 1,000-to-one. By comparison, the human retina can handle a dynamic range of light of 10 billion-to-one and can sense as little as a single photon of light in the dark! In bright daylight, the retina bleaches out and turns it's 'volume control' way down so as not to overload. The light sensitive cells of the retina are like an extremely complex high gain amplifier. There are over 10 million such cells in the retina and they are packed together with a density of 200,000/mm{2} in the highly sensitive fovea. These photoreceptor cells have a very high rate of metabolism and must completely replace themselves about every 7 days! If you look at a very bright light such as the sun, they immediately burn out but are rapidly replaced in most cases. Because the retina is thinner than the wavelength of visible light it is totally transparent. Each of these minute photoreceptor cells is vastly more complex than the most sophisticated man-made computer. It has been estimated that 10 billion calculations occur every second in the retina before the light image even gets to the brain! ... Attempts to explain the evolution of the eye, like most other evolutionary 'explanations,' are merely untestable scenarios in the guise of science. Not only must one account for the eye itself but also an optically transparent 'skin,' the cornea through the eye must look, and a brain to process the optical information. The visual cortex of the brain, together with the eye, which is actually part of the brain, must translate optical information which begins as nothing more than differences in the amplitude and wave length of light rays into what is perceived as real time 3-dimensional color vision. There is undoubtedly a scientific explanation for all of this signal processing and we already know a great deal about it but we are no closer to a scientific explanation for how we came to have eyes in the first place. No wonder the Bible says, 'The hearing ear and the seeing eye the Lord hath made them all'" (Dr. David N. Menton, Can Evolution Produce an Eye? Missouri Association for Creation, 1994; Dr. Mention received his Ph.D. in Biology from Brown University and has been involved in biomedical research and education for over 30 years.)

d. Consider the ultimate example of design in the human body, the human brain. "The adult brain weighs about 1350 grams, just three pounds, yet it handles the information of 1000 supercomputers. The fundamental unit within the brain is the neuron, or nerve cell. Each cell, about 10-6 meter in diameter, contains a nucleus and branching fibers called dendrites and axons. When a cell 'fires,' it sends electrochemical impulses along its axon extension to neighboring neurons. Our brain contains about 10 billion neurons (1010). During the first nine months of life, these neurons form at the astounding rate of 25,000 per minute. ... Each neuron is in dendritic contact with perhaps 10,000 other neurons. The total number of neurological interconnections is on the order of 1014 (100 trillion). This number is equivalent to all the leaves on all the trees of a vast forest covering half of the U.S. The total length of the nerve dendrites in an adult brain is over 100,000 miles!2 ... the brain holds at least 1014 bits (binary digits) of information. Actually, it is a much greater number, since the neurons also show intermediate firing states, somewhat like a light-dimmer switch. The storage capacity of this supercomputer [the Cray-2] is 1,000 times less than that of the human brain. ... Note that the potential brain capacity is estimated as at least equivalent to that of 25 million volumes, a 500-mile-long bookshelf! ... The beautiful complexity of our brain contrasts sharply with all simplistic, secular attempts to explain it away. Our brain remains a frontier of science; we actually know very little about it, but what is known is overwhelming. In addition, every single neuronal cell within the brain contains a trillion atoms. This is like a microscopic universe within each cell, complete with order, purpose, and interdependence of components. ... The brain truly provides an ultimate design challenge for evolution. It should be a cause for humble praise in considering the wonder of the mind. It is a privilege to dedicate these minds to the Creator" (from the article "Thinking About the Brain" by Dr. Don DeYoung and Dr. Richard Bliss, copyright 2004, Institute for Creation Research).

2005/2/21 9:49
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

Re: GENESIS vs. EVOLUTION

Ok this is completely off the topic but not really.

Warning this is not biblical just a thought.

Does anyone think that Demons used to live in Dinosaurs? Cuz there big and mean and they used to live on the Earth?

No don't go Saying Brother Ages has gone Crazy, it's just one of those childhood things that I used to think growing up in Catholic school.

Cyas

2005/2/21 23:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy