SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : wanting to be teachers (of the Law)..how do we ensure having the right spiritual attitude?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vivmeeraj

wanting to be teachers (of the Law)..how do we ensure having the right spiritual attitude?

(Another thread prompted me to post this. I seek the counsel of saints here on certain related and connected issues.)

1 Tim 1:5-7 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions.

This verse is a warning for every believer, more so for new leaders or those who desire to serve Him (that includes me).

There could be an undue urge to share ideas, thoughts etc from the word in the initial period and I had my bit of it. I shamefully accept that and I do not claim I am completely out of it. Sometimes one would feel that one has a better point or stand and feel like sharing the thought.

Now I am learning from many mature leaders (who do not claim to be even leaders) the spirit of timidity, submission and humility. I guess Paul had high regards for Timothy for these reasons along with other spiritual qualities. I also realize that 'true' maturity comes only through years of walk with Him and one clear sign would be becoming the humble servant of all.

From my personal experience let me share something. I was brought to faith through 2 humble and totally dedicated men of god. I have never seen them promoting themselves but only Jesus Christ and His holiness. Then I moved on to another country and had to be in a church which was not really spirit lead. (you know, the prosperity and physical growth oriented type). After sometime, I left it for difference of opinion and went to another fellowship which was doctrinally true etc. But the spirit dealt with me and convinced my spirit in judging and leaving the other fellowship was not right. I called up the pastor, apologized and went back to them, fully knowing I wouldn’t get much spiritual food there. But let me share that god rewarded me for that simple act of submission and reconciliation and I grew a lot spiritually during my next few months there. AS we know, it is our attitude that helps or prevents our growth rather than the quality of sermons.

Now, I fellowship with another group (in another country) which is also not too serious about hearing or sharing true word of god. Initially, I had the urge to share my thoughts but God reminded me of my previous experience and wanted me to sit there just as a member and never try to be too zealous. I am only trying to learn what submission means.

Dear saints,

In certain issues like the following, I become a little confused and hence seek your counsel.

What do you think about selecting a fellowship? Most of the people join a fellowship either due to a connection with the leader or some believer. When you realize, it is doctrinally true but in practice has very little to offer in terms of word or fellowship, would you leave them or try to do your bit or just be a silent testifying presence there?

Some of the threads in SI are really throwing a lot of light into self and also on the right perspectives. I am learning a lot from the mature leaders here.

Please keep me in your prayers. God bless you all.

2012/8/25 4:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy