SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Bit of Christian Debate Humor from C.S. Lewis.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

A Bit of Christian Debate Humor from C.S. Lewis.

The following is from the book, "Mere Theology" by Will Vaus. The book is a synopsis of the theological perspectives of Clive Staples Lewis. In the section I am posting there was a minor disagreement between Lewis and another theologian about an analogy that Lewis made. Lewis's response is refreshing and funny. I thought some here would get a kick out of it. The purpose of this thread is not to start a trinitarian debate, nor to deplore the notions of people who attempt to understand the trinity in visceral human terms. Ala, I never get angry with my daughter when she explains something back to me that she does not understand as well as I would like her too. Rather the purpose is to appreciate the way in which Lewis responds to his detractor. Please keep that in mind if you respond to this thread. Thank you.

"The first thing that Lewis does, in 'Beyond Personality,' to help us grasp the doctrine of the Trinity, is to suggest that the Trinity exists in another dimension beyond the three dimensions with which we are already familiar.

Lewis compares levels of being to various spatial dimensions. He notes how, on the human level, one person is one being, and any two persons are two separate beings. In the same way, in two dimensions (such as on a flat sheet of paper) one square is one figure, and any two squares are two separate figures. Lewis goes on to note how, on the divine level, there are still personalities; but at that level the personalities are combined in new ways that we, who don't live on that level, can't imagine. In the divine dimension there is a being who is three persons while remaining one being, just as a cube has six squares while remaining one cube.

Apparently Lewis was criticized for drawing an analogy between the Trinity and a cube this criticism came in the form of an article written by W. Norman Pittenger in The Christian Century, October I, 1958 (pp 1104-7). Lewis came up with a humorous reply in the November 26, 1958, issue of that same periodical. Lewis wryly remarked that he did not understand why it was vulgar or offensive, in speaking of the Holy Trinity, to illustrate from plane and solid geometry the concept that what is self contradictory on one level may be consistent on another. He admitted he could have understood someone being shocked if he had compared God with an unjust judge or Christ with a thief in the night. But, Lewis maintained, mathematical objects seem to be as free from sordid associations as any the mind can entertain." -Will Vaus Quoting C.S. Lewis, "Mere Theology, A Guide to C.S. Lewis" Intervarsity Press 2004

I think this has value here because Lewis obviously does not take himself as seriously as he takes his subject. This is Christ centered to me in that he homes in on Christ and his attitude as a means of resolving conflict. I laughed pretty good when I read this. I hope it makes you laugh with joy as well.

2012/8/24 17:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy