SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did God Really Do This?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Did God Really Do This?

Ezek 24:15-18, various translations:
NIV: 15 The word of the Lord came to me: 16 “Son of man, with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears. 17 Groan quietly; do not mourn for the dead. Keep your turban fastened and your sandals on your feet; do not cover your mustache and beard or eat the customary food of mourners.” 18 So I spoke to the people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died.

NKJV: 15 Also the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 16 “Son of man, behold, I take away from you the desire of your eyes with one stroke; yet you shall neither mourn nor weep, nor shall your tears run down. 17 Sigh in silence, make no mourning for the dead; bind your turban on your head, and put your sandals on your feet; do not cover your lips, and do not eat man’s bread of sorrow.” 18 So I spoke to the people in the morning, and at evening my wife died; and the next morning I did as I was commanded.

NASB: 15 And the word of the Lord came to me saying, 16 “Son of man, behold, I am about to take from you the desire of your eyes with a blow; but you shall not mourn and you shall not weep, and your tears shall not come. 17 Groan silently; make (W)no mourning for the dead. Bind on your turban and put your shoes on your feet, and do not cover your mustache and do not eat the bread of men.” 18 So I spoke to the people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died. And in the morning I did as I was commanded.

MSG: 15-17 God's Message came to me: "Son of man, I'm about to take from you the delight of your life—a real blow, I know. But, please, no tears. Keep your grief to yourself. No public mourning. Get dressed as usual and go about your work—none of the usual funeral rituals." 18 I preached to the people in the morning. That evening my wife died. The next morning I did as I'd been told.

It SEEMS like God killed Ezekiel's wife for the purpose of an object lesson. Can that be right?

2012/8/23 16:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Did God Really Do This?

QUOTE:

It SEEMS like God killed Ezekiel's wife for the purpose of an object lesson. Can that be right?

That is what it says. So the answer is "Yes" except I would be reluctant to say God killed his wife. Seems to me it would be more in keeping with the mercy of the LORD to say He took her. My opinion.

Scripture also says that ALL things work together for good to those who are called according to his purpose.

Powerful lesson, is it not?

2012/8/27 11:14Profile
Keylla

Brazil

Re:

She was happier carried away by God than being in the captivity in Babylon. Ezekiel understood that, he knew God.

2012/8/27 12:00Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re: Did God Really Do This?

TMK wrote: "It SEEMS like God killed Ezekiel's wife for the purpose of an object lesson. Can that be right?"

Brother, if God did it, it is right, whether our little finite minds understand it or not! His ways are so much higher than ours and his thoughts so much higher than ours, they are past finding out (from our standpoint).

You have to remember ... God sees all things from an ETERNAL perspective. The joy that Ezekial and his wife have been enjoying now for centuries FAR outweighs the moments of sorrow that they went through being used of God for an object lesson. Look at Job! His attitude was: "even if he kills me I will still trust him" (13:15)... even though he clearly didn't understand his situation at the time.

Oh to be used of God in whatever form He desires ... even if it costs me pain!

2012/8/27 12:16Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

The bride dies, and the husband shows no remorse. What's the Lord communicating here? What is the prophetic significance?

:)

2012/8/27 12:23Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

2012/8/27 21:00Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy