SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : When was the New Covenant made available to the human race?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re: The New Covenant

Here is what Ron Bailey, a very respected teacher here on SI wrote in his book THE BETTER COVENANT.

"Judaism regards, quite rightly, the Sinai Covenant as the beginning of the nation's unique identity. Judaism also regards the Jewish feast of Weeks, or Pentecost, as the anniversary of the giving of the Law. It is called the feast of weeks because it takes place after 7 times 7 days after Passover. Christians know it better as the 'fiftieth day' or in Greek, Pentecost. Christ died at the time of Passover, and fifty days later "when the day of Pentecost had fully come..." there was an amazing event which included fire and wind, those ancient attendants of the Exodus, and God arriving in the person of the Holy Spirit to take up residence in his new temple. The same God who had been resident in the Person of his Son had come to take up residence in a New Covenant people. Initially it would be a remnant of the house of Israel and the house of Judah but soon it would include a unique and secret ingredient; ...the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel, Eph 3:4-6 NKJV. The new temple of the Church was created to fulfil God's desire that his house would be a house of prayer for all nations.
In this chapter we examined the references in which Christ referred to himself as 'the Temple' and saw the significance as he claimed to be the place where God was in residence. We saw the dreadful finality with which he disowned the physical Temple of his day and that once 'broken' the Sinai Covenant could never be restarted. We examined the special emergency measure of the sacrifice of the 'red heifer' and saw that once 'broken' this pattern too could never be restored. And we saw the significance of the Day of Pentecost as the anniversary of Sinai and the plain declaration that the New Covenant was now 'up and running' and that God was again 'resident' in his Temple."

And

"Twice more Christ pinpointed the day when things would change dramatically with that same simple pattern of words, in that day... John 16:23, 26 These instances speak again of amazing intimacy with God in prayer. Did the disciples connect the coming of the Spirit with the inauguration of the New Covenant? Probably not while they were in the upper room, but when the day came and the promises began to be fulfilled they saw plainly that Christ had done a new thing in inaugurating a New Covenant. They saw that the two covenants were mutually exclusive and that the beginning of the new was the death knell to the old. During their vigil in prayer they surely recalled the things that he had said and looked forward to that day.
In the Upper Room the ten-day countdown had begun and the days followed one upon another until... When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind... Acts 2:1-2 NKJV. The 'day' had arrived; the New Covenant was in force. Peter stood to answer the question 'what does it mean?' and took his cue from the prophecy of Joel; But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Acts 2:16-17 NKJV. 'That' distant day had arrived, as the older version declared... this is that...
In this chapter we made the connection between the promised New Covenant and the promised coming of the Spirit. We noted the distinctive 'inwardness' of the New Covenant and the way in which Christ emphasised this in his teaching about the coming Spirit. We marked the key distinctive in the comparison of the prepositions 'with' and 'in' and saw that this is the essence of the New Covenant that has a better mediator and is based on better promises."

2012/8/24 6:47

Re: The Holy Spirit and the New Covanent

Here is an quote from the book THE LOST SECRET OF THE NEW COVENANT by Malcolm Smith.

"I in You, You in Me.

In understanding the covenant there are two phrases that are of supreme importance. The first is the expression "in Christ"; it is a phrase that indicates that we are vitally in and part of the historical events that took place and is presently true in Jesus our representative Man.
The second phrase that we find throughout the New Testament is "in the Spirit"; it indicates the dynamic experience of the power of the Spirit actually joining us to Christ and His work and making it real in our life. What originated in the love heart of God the Father was effected in history by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ the Son, and is received and experienced by the people of God through the work of the Holy Spirit.
The problem in the church today is we tend to focus on one of the phrases to the exclusion of the other. On the one hand the work of Christ is studied objectively, out there in history, with little or no sense of the Spirit making that work effective in our lives today. On the other hand many are fascinated by the Spirit's power with little or no interest in understanding what happened in the historical work of Christ in His making the New Covenant. The two phrases belong together; the Spirit is the presence of our covenant God in power making real and vital in us all that has been accomplished by Christ.
I cannot emphasize strongly enough the place of the Spirit in the covenant. Apart from the Holy Spirit there is no New Covenant. The lifestyle of the men and women in the New Covenant is that of loving even as they are loved by God; that is an impossible goal apart from the work of the Spirit. The supernatural gifts of the Spirit are part of the dynamic of the covenant people and are totally the work of the Spirit.
The Old Covenant Israel lived under was one of shadows, promises and hope. The New Covenant is called a "better covenant" founded on the work of the Lord Jesus and is primarily the covenant of fulfillment, of power in which God and His people are dynamically joined as one in the work of the Spirit.
The covenant seeks for union of two parties, something that the Old Covenant, although knowing the presence of God dwelling in their midst in a very real way, could ultimately only point to, anticipate and wait for. Ezekiel saw clearly that the Holy Spirit living within the believer would accomplish this union. He looked for the day when God would dwell not merely with, but within His people.
"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them." (Ezekiel 36:25-27 italics mine.)
Both Ezekiel and Jeremiah saw it as the day when the Law would be not an exterior command but an interior bent of life."

2012/8/24 7:07

Re:

This is what Andrew Murray wrote in his book THE TWO COVENANTS AND THE SECOND BLESSING

"Here is the inmost secret of the New Covenant. It deals with the heart of man in a way of Divine power. It not only appeals to the heart by every motive of fear or love, of duty or gratitude. That the law also did. But it reveals God Himself, cleansing our heart and making it new, changing it entirely from a stony heart into a heart of flesh, a tender, living, loving heart, putting His Spirit within it, and so, by His Almighty Power and Love, breathing and working in it, making the promise true, "I will cause you to walk in My statutes, and ye shall keep My judgments." A heart in perfect harmony with Himself, a life and walk in His way---God has engaged in Covenant to work this in us. He undertakes for our part in the Covenant as much as for His own.

This is nothing but the restoration of the original relation between God and the man He had made in His likeness. He was on earth to be the very image of God, because God was to live and to work all in him, and he to find his glory and blessedness in thus owing all to God. This is the exceeding glory of the New Covenant, of the Pentecostal dispensation, that by the Holy Spirit God could now again be the indwelling life of His people, and so make the promise a reality: "I will cause you to walk in My statutes." With God's presence secured to us every moment of the day---"I will not turn away from them"; with God's "fear put into our heart " by His own Spirit, and our heart thus responding to His holy presence; with our hearts thus made right with God, we can, we shall walk in His statutes, and keep His judgments."

2012/8/24 8:30

From Day One.

"When was the New Covenant made available to the human race?"

...Always....From Adam on.

...All that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, [ The anti-Christ ] whose names are not written in the book of life

...." of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

The New Covenant was always available to the Human race, from before the fall, and all imputed mercy ever was derived from this one and only sacrifice of the God-Man [Son of God-Son of Man]...JESUS.

It was simply manifested in the bounds of time.

" But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons."

From Righteous Abel, through Noah, unto Abraham things remained the same; a typical BLOOD sacrifice by FAITH, both pointing backwards and forwards to that tortuous CROSS that He bore. Melchizedek, Jesus Himself, established the order of Faith/Priesthood to Abraham, but he remained in the blood-sacrifice type of worship, until Moses brought forth a more specific order of blood sacrifice and Priesthood.

The CROSS at Jerusalem was in a moment of time, yes, but of Eternal manifestation.

"It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness fell over the whole land until the ninth hour, because the sun was obscured; and the veil of the temple was torn in two."

I believe that these TWO events were melded into one, at that moment; Jesus was slain BEFORE any man was, and on that Passover Day in 33AD, as a single Eternal Event. The Veil was torn here, though, and at Pentecost the Holy Spirit Himself availed Himself to all men, as to whoever would Receive His sacrifice.....but it has always been by Faith, and always been about ONE Sacrifice that God alone counted as worthy.

2012/8/24 8:37
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Tuc,

I have much respect for our dear brother Ron Bailey, and consider him an outstanding Bible teacher and hold him in very high regard. I have not read his book yet on the New Covenant, so I will refrain from critiquing his perspective directly on this topic as I don't know the full context of his teaching, although I have heard/read his words elsewhere and have interacted with him many times, and have a good idea of what he means.

Whatever the exact context of Ron's quote, to equate the day of Pentecost with the inauguration of the new covevnant would be incorrect. Covenants were ratified by the shedding of blood, not by the pouring out of the Holy Spirit. And this is what the Lord taught in the night He was betrayed. He said "This is the blood of the covenant." The covenant was inaugurated with the Lord's death, not with His ascension and the pouring out of the Spirit.

However, with that said, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost is not disconnected from the establishment of the New Covenant. Indeed, it is an event that the prophets spoke of numerous times, and an event they looked forward to. But it would be incorrect to associate the pouring out of the Spirit as the establishment of the New Covenant. Rather, one must look at the outpouring of the Spirit as a sign and blessing given to those who believe and have been made participants of that covenant by faith. The outpouring of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost was a part of the ascension ministry of Christ, and a blessing that the prophets foretold would be given in the last days, so as to supernaturally empower and equip the people of God to be the people He had called them to be.

God bless,

Jimmy

2012/8/24 8:47Profile

Re: From Day One.

Yes Christ was slain before the foundation of the world.

But the truth is that no one could truly experience the reality of Christ Himself living and abiding in them until Pentecost.

2012/8/24 10:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

But the truth is that no one could truly experience the reality of Christ Himself living and abiding in them until Pentecost.

Well, that would be a debatable point. I and others would personally argue that the indwelling of the Spirit was available prior to the Pentecostal outpouring. I think it would be more correct to see the Pentecostal outpouring as equipping the people of God as a whole for a global mission than for personal salvation. But that's another topic altogether.

2012/8/24 10:35Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Knowing this then, that the new covenant was inaugurated with the shedding of Christ's blood on the cross, it becomes more evident that the outpouring of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost had nothing to do with the inauguration of the new covenant. Rather, the outpouring of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost was about empowering the church to be a prophetic community in the last days, to be a witness to this lost and dying world. It is something that was hoped for in Joel 2:28-32, and in the writings of other prophets such as Isaiah.

I think King Jimmy made a good point. I would like to add that I am not sure what the significance of the original question is? To me, it seems that the critical issue is my relating to God in the new covenant. It is in understanding the implications of the new covenant, and, while I think Jimmy hit the nail on the head, not so much in trying to pin down the timing of its initiation.

To walk in the new covenant means that I now have my righteousness before God through what Christ did and not through my futile efforts at keeping carnal ordinances. It is to relate to God through the Holy Spirit. It is to have available to me now the same power that raised Christ from the dead through Pentecost and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Or, tuc, have I missed the point of your question?

2012/8/24 12:12Profile

Re: my point

Quote:
To walk in the new covenant means that I now have my righteousness before God through what Christ did and not through my futile efforts at keeping carnal ordinances. It is to relate to God through the Holy Spirit. It is to have available to me now the same power that raised Christ from the dead through Pentecost and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I could not agree more!!

My point is that the Disciples did not and could not experience the reality of Christ indwelling them until Christ died on the Cross and was risen from the dead. They were still living under the old Covenant.

I still believe that the real church did not exist before the day of Pentecost.

2012/8/24 12:42
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
My point is that the Disciples did not and could not experience the reality of Christ indwelling them until Christ died on the Cross and was risen from the dead. They were still living under the old Covenant.

I still believe that the real church did not exist before the day of Pentecost

I see. I believe you would be right in what you have just said. He was with them, but not in them. But in speaking of His death in John 17 He said that He had been with them but would be in them. He also said that the Holy Spirit who would indwell believers could not come until He ascended. We know that it was a little over a month from His ascention to Pentecost and the initial outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

I am able, I think, to follow the thinking that led to the conclusion that the new covenant was not instituted until Pentecost. But there is a difference in the coming of the new covenant and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. The second is a result of the first, but the first cannot be equated with the second. Pentecost is part of the new covenant, but the new covenant is not defined by Pentecost.

2012/8/24 15:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy