SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Curse or Bless?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Thank you both so very much,

I guess the lesson to learn here is that context is of utmost importance when it comes to Bible interpretation.

It is not at all enough to say that if a word means this or that in a certain verse, then it must mean the same in the rest.
But sad to say multitudes of so called Bible scholars soldemn pay attention to the context but solely rely on the meaning of words.

2012/8/17 16:32Profile

Re:

That is true, UntoBabes.

I thought that it seemed like Mrs. Job just had a Peter type moment in reverse, I guess. Peter didn't want Jesus to die and Jesus rebuked Satan, and Satan gave Mrs Job those words - I believe.
Just imagine if you were very sick and your husband said what Mrs. Job said to Mr. Job.
Just that one word "Die" would be enough to cause most families to break up.
I've always felt relieved that she was still his wife at the end
I love happy endings.

GOD Bless you two & thank you for bringing this study up.

2012/8/17 22:44
proudpapa

Job 1:11
But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will (curse) thee to thy face

obviously does not mean bless

Job 2:5
But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will (curse) thee to thy face

obviously does not mean bless

It is obviouse that the translaters did not take unmerited liberty when translating Job 2:9 Barak as curse.
But never the less interesting thoughts

2012/8/18 0:01Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Context determines word translation more than just about any other thing. Literal word for word equivalent with consistency simply does not work. Seeing that you already correctly concluded the answer, I would just agree, Job's wife's statement is predicated by a snarky question pertaining to his integrity, she seems more bitter against God than anything.

I also just checked Blue Letter Bible and only one translation worded it "bless." The spanish translation showed curse as well, at least I am pretty sure it did :)

I am curious though Untobabes, why did you have a hard time believing she would say that? Not that you have to share, only if you are comfortable doing so. Her bitterness surprises me no more than the bitterness toward God that I hear come out of people all the time. People who have known nothing but blessing for their whole adult life often turn rabid when a trial comes along.

Whenever you tip over a glass, whatever was in it...comes spilling out.

I have found over the past few years that as I prepare for teaching the scriptures that I often am confronted by things in the word of God that I simply do not want to be true. Or that seem to rub me a little the wrong way. The Lord showed me a long time ago that I cannot trust myself because my heart often "wants" certain things to be true or untrue. The verse that always comes to mind for me about this is "It is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks." So often we claim to confidently believe things with such zealous fervor, and we never stop to ask if we really have the Spirit of the word lining up with the letter. So when I find my heart a little off, I seek the Lord for his correction, and ask him to change my heart.

Not that any of this is directly pertinent to you, just thought I would share a bit of my own experience.

2012/8/18 0:46Profile

Re:

Areadymind said:

Quote:
I have found over the past few years that as I prepare for teaching the scriptures that I often am confronted by things in the word of God that I simply do not want to be true. Or that seem to rub me a little the wrong way. The Lord showed me a long time ago that I cannot trust myself because my heart often "wants" certain things to be true or untrue. The verse that always comes to mind for me about this is "It is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks." So often we claim to confidently believe things with such zealous fervor, and we never stop to ask if we really have the Spirit of the word lining up with the letter. So when I find my heart a little off, I seek the Lord for his correction, and ask him to change my heart.

Excellent stuff, here. ^

2012/8/18 0:59
proudpapa

Re: EverestoSama

EverestoSama wrote Excellent stuff in response to what Areadymind wrote.

I second that

2012/8/18 1:02Profile

Re:

KP - I'm dragging your post from another thread over to this one. I feel uneasy on that thread at this point.

I know UntoBabes won't mind. We've prayed together and her heart is good.

Quote:
I miss this too (pouting). Yet, people can be just as phony in person, though there is greater opportunity for the operation of discernment.

Jesus-Is-God wrote:

"that it's impossible on the net to know what's really being said and how or why, with the majority."

I agree - yet, there is something revelatory about the written word (if you know what I mean). With man, there is a consistency which pervades throughout one's writing which leaves a trace of natural, personalized identity.

Like your writng, Jesus-Is-God. Even when you've written the most cerebral, doctrinal analysis of a sermon or scripture, your posts ALWAYS leave a trace of sincerity, trustworthiness, and genuine love for your brother. Christ somehow leaves his aroma even in the written word. Since Word can become Flesh, then I suppose it can be the other way 'round.

And a while ago, I wrote about the impact of reading Charles Spurgeon's sermons. Though I've never met him in the natural, when He writes about the Master, I might as well be reading my own thoughts; it is like telepathy in absentia. An effect I rarely (really never) get from natural, face-to-face fellowship.

I am praying without ceasing, Jesus-Is-God, as well as unable to breathe without a daily and moment-by-moment intimate relationship with God's Word - and for that reason, I can have confidence that I am writing what's really being said in my heart. His Word is the language from which I derive my words and purpose for communicating. If not for God's Word, I'd have absolutely nothing to say nor would there be anything worth hearing. It hasn't always been this way, of course.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

Well my friend, some of us do not have the 'gift' of expression and in my case, it's because I got a good kick in the head from neuro-lyme. Posting can be like trying to pull a tractor trailor up a hill for me. What comes out is spontaneous and my Doc is well aware that that's all that I can do to "communicate". But at this point, I need the fellowship. I live now in an area that is Protestant-hostile. There's no Christians to talk to, except when friends call on the phone from other States.
At the Church I was a member in, down in the Bible belt, they 'tried' to get me to talk during Sunday School - and after the Service, I'd go over to the Nursing Home where I worked before I got knocked down with Lyme and I'd attend their service. There too, the Chaplain that was a member of my Church would try to get me to answer a Bible question but I'd clam up. I was just content to be with these folks. The most loving Church group one could imagine and I found that I just loved to bask in their presence and that was sufficient for me.
Here, we 'have to' type to fellowship and that's hard for some of us.

Yes, Spurgeon and so many others have the gift of communicating in writing. But if one doesn't have that gift - they're up the creek sometimes on a forum.
People from other countries seem to hold back as well because they're grammar and language differs from ours, and that always makes me feel sad that they don't post more.

You are appreciated here and I enjoyed our talks on psych as well. Would love to take that up again, because it would be good to get the lies of that particular 'science' out in the open - Just so that when hard times do come our way - that people will be able to circumvent the lies in that field and head straight for Biblical answers that set one free and promises a sound mind. Some have health issues that may affect their emotions and whatever - but the Peace that comes from His Word is priceless for them as well.

Not everyone would agree with your assessments of my posts - but the only thing that I can say is that with every rough one, there's never a lack of tears, because between us, I truly do love my Family in Christ, because I can't say that I have a family to talk to. "Precious are the wounds of a friend" and sometimes we need to trust one another a bit more to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they may see something or know something about someone that we don't know about a poster and they're responding in that way for that reason only.

I believe it's your own sincerity and lack of guile that sees everyone the way you do. Each human on here is not here by happenstance. We're yet to see what He's up to. The only omniscient One.

GOD Bless you richly KP and thanks for the Fellowship.
Much appreciated - much needed.
His Best!

2012/8/18 3:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy