SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why We Believe What We Believe

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Why We Believe What We Believe

I came to a place in my own life after 15 years in a pulpit where I realized what I had come to believe had no relevence in my real life. In layman’s terms, the things I believed weren’t changing my life @ all. I remembered a lesson God taught me just 3 years into the ministry. I was lying awake in bed with my Bible on my chest when God dropped this thought into my conscious mind out of nowhere; Can you give me one reason why I shouldn’t send you to hell? Immediately I began quoting Him scripture from all over the Bible, quotes from all of the teachers I’d come to revere in the last 3 years. Then the nagging question returned, but it was different this time; Can you give me one reason why I shouldn’t send you to hell? My mind went totally blank. I couldn’t give Him one reason why He shouldn’t send me to hell. It was then He shared the greatest truth I’ve ever been given with me; The greatest distance in all the world is only 18 inches. That’s the distance from a man’s head to his heart. Then I finally understood this verse;
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:10
When what we believe is determined in our hearts instead of our heads, what we believe will begin to transform our lives. I struggled with my addiction for years until the day that I began to see it the way God saw it; & when I was truly grieved by what I saw, God gradually began to give me the victory over it. When I saw it for what it really was God delivered me from the hold it had on my life. It’s the same way with everything else in our lives folks. When we begin to see those things as the enemies they really are, & when we cry out to God for deliverence with our whole heart, that deliverence comes. Why do I believe the things I believe? Because they’re gradually transforming my whole life.

2005/2/19 15:35Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: Why We Believe What We Believe

In my search for truth, I have questioned the christian faith. I have heard enough contradiction among church people (disobedient ones and etc), that I had to check things out myself. When you look into things prayerfully, with a true seeking of God, you can find He is good to show you, making sense and logically. I have read other things, including parts of the Koran, Buddhism, new-age, even demonic things, as I was seeking truth, He showed me there is no power or goodness in those things. Sin brings death, keep going on against God, it will end in death, but His way comes back to Jesus Christ. If you want to examine your own faith, that is probably healthy, but it should be with the love of God and Truth, that whatever you find on the side of Truth, to follow wholeheartedly.

I am only a 4 year old christian. As I started my bible study, I wanted to know God, but I was not really committed to Jesus Christ because I didn't understand what church and Him were all about. He did show me how evil sin was though, so I was seeking Goodness and Truth. One thing that disturbed me greatly was God giving Moses the 10 commandments (saying don't kill), but then turn around and tell Joshua to kill all kinds of people. To me, that was such an obvious (on the surface) contradiction. But I knew God is righteous, but I had to know what was going on here, because if I could not find out why God would do such an obvious breaking of His own law, then this illogical and evil thing is not of the Creator of order and Love. I am so thankful He showed me what is going on in my search for Truth. He can show you things, if you seek Truth and ask Him for help. I definitely needed help reading the bible, and I asked Him continually. I wanted to know the God I could call Father, I wanted to know the One who watches my every move, my secret sins and everything else. I wanted to know this God, I was not looking to fight Him anymore, so my questioning this contradiction was not in arrogance or fighting, but in Truth I wanted to understand what is going on with God here. He doesn't reveal all Himself all at once, but He will answer if we seek Him in humility and seeking Truth. Just to share what I learned, God showed me the world view and thinking at the time, in the context, His ways made sense. I believe He was grieved that He had to go to such lengths to prove Himself, but He did what the people wanted at the time. Studying other things besides the Bible is something even the Bible says we can do. In Chronicles, Kings, it says there is no need for further explanation there because it is already recorded in history, common historical facts. Checking out the times, and seeing what the unbelieving nations are doing, their mindset, I found they were provoking God to kill them. The whole idea was "whoever is winning all the wars, that god is God." One thing I like to throw in is perhaps, if the nations would have said, "whoever has the largest tree in all the world, that god is God." Because asking to be murdered and conquered by whoever's god is purposely asking to be killed if you don't serve the Real God. He wants us to love Him wholeheartedly and to choose Life, not death, which is right.

This is just one example of how God does not have to be naively followed. It isn't that He can be intellectualized either, but He can prove Himself to be an immovable Rock, One you can truly have faith in as you seek Truth. He answers prayers, and gives the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ our sin savior, that is a wonderful gift. No other god has such power of Life and Truth.

2005/2/19 16:56Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

In America, particularly the United States (don't know much about Canada) we tend to intellectualize everything. It's the Western way and Jesus has been breaking that in my heart. The Christian life is not about acquiring more knowledge but a willingness to submit and abide in Him.

The Christian life is to be walked out. In other words, my deeds and my words should match. As the Lord is breaking many deep-rooted sins in my heart, this is slowly beginning to occur in my life. It's not something I could ever do in own power but it's the power of the blood of Jesus. I just thank Jesus because He is able to break anything between my heart and His.

2005/2/19 18:51Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

That's why I strive to focus my own ministry on walking in the light of God. What I'm talking about is the most important thing that a new believer can experience, allowing that new life God placed inside of him or her @ the new birth to control his or her life on the outside. The Bible record would have been far different had Eve followed the guidance of God in Eden, instead of following evil counsel & her own understanding. I strive to live my life one situation @ a time, seeking God's light that I may see this one situation the way He sees it that I might respond to it instead of reacting to it. I'm an ex Marine, & I had it pounded into me for 2 years to react & think later. Now years later, I have to undo that teaching as an act of my will in every situation I face. I still tend to react instead of thinking even today. In recovery we're taught to live one day @ a time. I adopted that philosophy for a long time, & failed dismally. I now know it's impossible for me to live one day successfully, but I can deal with the situation I'm facing right now successfully however. I'd love to avoid these theological debates altogether & focus on nothing but living the life more abundant Jesus promised us; but I get sucked into them through the same reactions instilled in me 39 years ago in the Marines. :-D

2005/2/28 11:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy