SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Skirts Only?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
rainydaygirl

Re:

i struggled with the topic off and on because for awhile i went way overboard with my dress being overly covered up. my husband finally talked with me about this and shared with me that he did want me to be modest but he did not want me looking like a woman from little house on the prairie or wearing loose fitting mens jeans so that i looked like a boy either. i am learning that there is a place for clothes that don't show or reveal to much but still allows a female to dress like a female from this time period. it is a really hard topic to discuss in an open forum though so i get why mama27 wants to be careful. there are many who come here who feel convicted about modesty and dress according to their conscious in Christ but that does mean that what i see as modest will always be the same as the next person. as i said it is really easy to go to far the other way too, it was for me because i really wanted to make sure i was doing all the right things wearing what was right and so on.

great topic
rdg

2012/8/21 20:00Profile
mama27

Re:

I am trying to think how to say this because a heated debate is not God-honoring. And as I've seen on this forum many times, there are godly people on both sides of an issue. It is when it gets heated or judgmental or condemning that I know God is so grieved.

That said, I believe Scripture is clear that God intended there to be a beauty in a woman that encompasses modesty and a meek and quiet spirit. (There is a place for physical attractiveness, but that is not what I am speaking to)....I think our culture has totally lost this concept. And the church has just followed along. Without being detailed, I believe that a woman's form should not be outlined for the whole world to see...it should be for her husband alone. Anything otherwise, cheapens her....Does not Christ come for a pure Bride?

As I said in my original post, very few in the church would believe this way except for the Mennonites. But it is something God put in my heart long ago, and the way that I raised my daughters. The fact that a 26-y/o has never heard of this, indicates that it is "lost" to the modern-day church. I hope whoever reads this can hear my heart...I am not coming from a place of legalism.

There is an excellent little (74 pp.) book by a godly man named Jeff Pollard, called "Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America"....He says all of this much more eloquently than I can.

AGAIN - PLEASE NO HEATED DEBATE.....I was only wondering how alone I was in my beliefs....

2012/8/21 20:06Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Without being detailed, I believe that a woman's form should not be outlined for the whole world to see...it should be for her husband alone. Anything otherwise, cheapens her....Does not Christ come for a pure Bride?
---------------

not sure i understand what you mean by a woman's form should not be outlined but its all good :) i agree no tight or revealing clothing but personally i was way over board buying clothes two and threes sizes bigger almost to the point of being lost in them. i think loose fitting is fine but not huge and colors that are feminine are fine and Godly. also i have found that there are some really modest clothes out there that are very feminine especially if you know how to sew and can add to the garment. this is my thoughts though and like i said God maybe showing you or others something else. i know that we both are walking according to what the Lord is showing us so its all good.

i have read some really great articles on dressing modestly and not going to extremes. God is all about balance and my practically wearing a formless sack was just drawing attention to me and not honoring my hubby or God.

i do wish more was taught on this though, even guys clothes are getting bad.

rdg

2012/8/21 20:28Profile
mama27

Re:

rdg,

I don't think 3 sizes too big is what the Lord had in mind, and it draws attention of its own. I think though that the typical American woman's pants reveal a part of the woman that God did not intend. I think it is entirely possible to wear modest, feminine, and somewhat fashionable skirts without looking like you came out of Little House on the Prairie. (I say "somewhat" fashionable, b/c fashionable in America pretty much means undressed)...

2012/8/21 21:12Profile
Etuna

Re:

Eish, I understand a little bit how it may feel to be convicted of something that not many others around you are.

I'm ever so grateful for how the Holy Spirit continues to do a great work in me in other areas as we've come so far together. I'm certain he'll lay it on my heart in the time God wills it. I had to ditch my mini-skirts and skimpy dresses and shorts just last year simply from a burdened heart (no body preached it or even mentioned it to me to do it) about my dressing, and now the pants, skirts and tops i wear are decent and not tight fitting and actually even look better. However so far I can't say i'm at all burdened to wear skirts only and i'm ok with that. I think It would be total false humility if i were to change this my self right now.

I hope you don't get me wrong as i do tottaly agree that there's a large degree of modesty lost in the way we as women dress these days even in the church so may the Holy Spirit continue to guide and help shape us to Jesus's likeness.

PS: I love the way you keep stressing "no heated debate" lol... No offence taken on my part and i sincerely hope nobody picks up any from my responce either.

I aknowledge that i still have loads to learn and I am yet to listen to the audio's.

Blessings fellow Kingdom citizens:-)

Etuna.

2012/8/22 2:33Profile
Ceri

Notts. England.

Re: Skirts Only?

No, I'm not skirts only! but I am a modest dresser. My husband loves my style and tells me I always look decent but gorgeous - and that's enough for me!

2012/8/22 8:13Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by Ceri on 2012/8/22 2:13:49

No, I'm not skirts only! but I am a modest dresser. My husband loves my style and tells me I always look decent but gorgeous - and that's enough for me!

I can relate to what rdg said because I also went through a time of not really being sure how to dress. I wanted to be modest but where to begin...I bought jeans that were loose and not as fitted as some. For a long time I kind of used my clothes to hide in, but then I was also dealing with a messed up body image and eating disorders too. I realize now that clothes do not have to be this big issue.

Ceri I did the same I finally went to my husband and just asked him what his thoughts were. He did not feel led that I needed to wear skirts only but we went through my clothes together and some stuff we got rid of and some stuff was fine with a little sewing to alter how things fit. I am careful when I shop to pray first and ask the LORD to guide me in my purchases and I have to say I have feel like I am finally walking with the LORD on this issue. I do still wear pants but nothing revealing, same goes for my tops, skirts, or dresses and sweaters. I like that I can express myself as a female through colors, patterns, and materials. My husband is pleased with what I wear as well :)

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts on this topic. Its so wonderful how we all share the same love and desire to please GOD and HE leads us in that way even though it may be a bit different for each of us :)

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/22 9:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Mama,

You know where I stand on this issue - we have discussed this a lot privately. You are in a very difficult situation with no local body of Believers that support your conviction.

As I have been praying for you, mulling your situation there is one question that dogs me: Is there a holiness group not too far away that you could feel comfortable with? I have a cousin who is a member of the "Church of the Bible Covenant", a holiness group. The ladies all wear skirts/dresses, put their hair up...They are very feminine, pretty. The men dress modestly as well.

A lot of people think modesty is a issue that pertains primarily to females. While it is true that females lead the parade in immodesty, the men have to deal with it as well although their problem is not limited to immodesty in garb so much as it is to be want to look macho - tough and mean! I mean, some look so bad I would not trust my granddaughters alone with them!

How do males dress immodestly? I will be blunt: I hate to see males up on the platform wearing western jeans! It is so distracting. Brothers, you think you are the one who have to deal with lust, just remember the devil works on females as well. When there is immodesty up there on the platform it distracts one's mind who is sitting in the audience and we cannot hear a thing you say or we have a problem concentrating on what you say. In the end we will find you disgusting. This is a woman's perspective, like it or not.

The devil has worked hard to tear down the morals of God's people. Once he succeeds in the mind, it will be only one step to living it out in the flesh. Yet, scripture teaches us plainly that to give in to it in our spirit/mind is the same as doing it in the flesh.

We live in a bad world, real bad and to think God made it perfect. Man sure has a knack of defiling what was so beautiful!

God bless.

2012/8/23 21:00Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy