SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question bothering me

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
learn

Question bothering me

I've always said 'God or Lord' and much less often Jesus (although I do end my prayers in Jesus name). I feel very guilty because its like I'm not giving credit to Jesus or do not love Him enough (still have a long way to go in loving Jesus more). When I hear sermons etc it seems that they tend to use Jesus name more often than not. I do know that in times of trouble/fear, you better call Jesus name because His name has power.

How do you decide when to use God or Jesus. Especially when praying. Thanks.

PS: not talking about witnessing because of course then you have to talk about Jesus

2012/8/16 2:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Question bothering me

Quote:

One of the main terms Jesus Christ as our example used is "Father" or "Heavenly Father" I feel that is healthy to use this term when praying to God as we are in sonship as his children.

I believe God hears an earnest sincere humble prayer and not a theologically correct one all the time. Therefore the most important thing is to pray, pray simply, pray from your heart. And do not let the enemy condemn you "ever" for praying!

2012/8/16 2:48Profile
learn

Re:

Thanks Greg

2012/8/16 20:31Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
One of the main terms Jesus Christ as our example used is "Father" or "Heavenly Father" I feel that is healthy to use this term when praying to God as we are in sonship as his children

My thoughts exactly.

“Our Father who art in heaven…”

Learn, if you go to Biblegateway on the internet and search the word "Father" in the New Testament, you will find some revealing insights. After checking those out - why do you think “Father” is so fitting – as a means to address our Lord?

Examples:
He said to them, “When you pray, say: “‘Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Luke 11:2

“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25

“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” Luke 6:36

2012/8/16 20:54Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Dear Brother,

I also have struggled many times with this also and I only said that about not being condemned because I believe the enemy came into my life a few times to condemn me I was not praying right when I would say "Lord" all the time and not Father as is "more biblical"

I found to just pray earnestly from the heart is what God hears.

2012/8/16 21:16Profile
learn

Re:

Thank you Diane and Greg.
BTW, I'm a sister.

2012/8/17 4:41Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Question bothering me

Quote:

Early in my walk, this plagued me too. But I’m wondering if I didn't and if we aren't putting emphasis on the wrong thing.... b/c Jesus said in John 15:23, “He that hates me hates my Father also” and in John 14:21 "Every man who knows my commandments and obeys them is the man who really loves me, and every man who really loves me will himself be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and make myself known to him." (Phillips) Love is the end of the law.

I think we need to be careful here b/c the enemy can come in and make something a “law” or a “rule” in our lives where there doesn’t need to be one. And then we are focused more on the prayer itself rather than the One we pray to!

Just my opinion! Sorry if I didn’t make it clear as mud! :)

God bless, Lisa

2012/8/17 12:29Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Prayer i think is set example in scripture, but my most "intimate" prayers have been those when i can not even utter words but more my inner man crying out or spirt. so I dont think correctness of words is the main thing but rather your faith and heart. Who will ascend his Holy hill? he with clean hands and a pure heart so that should be our focus i am convinced not so much the wording or phrasing of our prayers.

2012/8/17 12:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy