SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Challenge

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Holyhands

Re:

Well Krispy,
I think that sports are a great way to reach people! I have been running a Football team( That is Soccer to all you who are from another country) I have a friend from work who now attends regularly! From this he then started hanging out at my house.From there he came and played pool at the church building. From there him and his other half now come and spend time with us usually twice or three times a week. They are going to come to church soon and also his other half's little sister now comes to youth club at our church (we went to it was great fun rolling back the years).To quote him he says that he has become more interested in the whole Christian thing. Im praying for them. My point is: If i had not spent time playing football with him we would not be in the position we are today as close friends!!!!!

SPEND AND BE SPENT

2005/2/21 14:05Profile

Re:

Quote:
One corner cut was that if a kid did not maintain grades, he could not play. Well some of the star players were not held to this rule.

Yep... thats always a problem. I've benched kids for grades, I have no problem doing it. If we lose a game because a kid couldnt play, the peer pressure was enormous... and the grades came up.

Quote:
I attended the NFF-NFL Youth Football Coaches Clinic this past year. This organization taught the offensive lineman to hit the breatplate of the shoulder pads as the proper method for beginning the blocking sequence.

Again, not to turn this into a football thread... but there are "proper methods", and then there is reality. Watch the NFL and tell me you see proper tackling techniques... LOL. I saw some of this worst tacking ever in the NFL this year. Techniques are techniques... they are not rules. Techniques are meant to be improved on and evolved.

Hey, I learned that technoque from Madden... the coaches coach! :-x

Krispy

2005/2/21 15:07
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

I have read some of the most recent posts in this thread, and what comes to mind is what some would term as life-style evangelism, or simply living what we say we believe. Much if not most “ministry” is not with pulpit and microphone, but is in developing the growth of others, such as children on the sports field. I am in no wise athletic and in fact throughout school was always one of those last kids chosen when dividing up into teams, and so I have a special respect for those who would spend their time and talent being salt and light to kids in this manner.

I have watched Christians in my own family take the time to become coaches in little league teams both Christian and non-Christian. I have watched children from extremely volatile homes come to know Christ from being involved in these sports teams. I have seen the parents of these children become friends with these Christian coaches and then be led to Christ. Parents who would have never darkened the door of a Church for various reasons.

And so, God bless all those who are being used of Christ on the field what a great use of time and talent!!

God Bless,
tony

2005/2/21 16:06Profile

Re:

TonyS... I'll be honest, I wasnt too sure what your thoughts would be on this topic when I saw your name on the thread... I was exceptionally pleased to read your post. I think you've capsulized what some of us were saying.

I'd pick you to be on my team anyday. 8-)

Krispy

2005/2/21 16:29
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: A Challenge

Great encouragement "getrealwithg"! Yes, there are quite a few men and women of God that are very inspirational! We can be that inspiration, that spurring on to good works in the body of Christ as well, if we only give God our [i]whole[/i] selves!

We do mismanage a lot of things as Christians. We don't give God the time He deserves. We don't give Him the whole complete life He deserves. As soon as there's something we don't like, we take back a part of our life from God, even maybe bits of our heart back to our own possession. We need to fully, completely trust Him! He needs to be our reason, our purpose, our joy! He needs to be the One we live for and the One we die to meet!

It starts in the heart. There is where God starts the work so we will to cast aside every weight and sin that so easily hinders and distracts us. I know what hinders me; distrust, fear, doubts, failure... the list goes on. But God is willing to heal, restore and rebuild. There's not a life God can't use when placed in His hands to be molded into a vessel of honor!

2005/2/21 16:35Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Okay... I just read the very first topic when I made my first reply. Taking the time to read through everything... I have more of an idea what's going on in this topic.

You know, I'm a young, single person who has the luxury of spending hours in the Word, books, listening to sermons, etc. if I wanted to. But you know, it really opened up my eyes a few weeks ago when I spent a week with a family in Tennesee. Since it was my vacation, I could sleep in and spend all day catching up on my 4 Month Bible Reading Plan if I wanted. I had no responsibilities. My young friend, Meagan, 14-years-old, wanted to do the same thing. But her mom kindly reminded her of her responsibilities around the house. There were chores to do and school to finish. If she wanted to spend time in devotions, she needed to get up early, but not lounge around all day reading, while neglecting her responsibilities. That really spoke to me. There is that sitting at the Lord's feet, being in His presence, but there's very much the practical aspect of our relationship with God as well. I really rethink the time I just sit around and read now around my house. What message would I send to my parents if I sat around reading instead of doing the dishes or throwing out the trash? So that really spoke to me that I need to find a balance. And then spending a week with 3 rowdy kids running around all day made me a bit understanding to Christian parents who really would have to work hard at making a time for devotions. As soon as your kids wake up, there is no way you're going to have some nice undistracted time with the Lord. Your ministry to them has just begun.

So... I think we really do need to be understanding to everyone's situation. Where I was coming from in my first post was more for Christians who [i]do[/i] have all this free time to... really build themselves up in the Lord through the Word, Chrisitan books, sermons, ministry, etc., but they'd rather... just waste their time on other things. The only thing that's a waste of time is that which is spent on something other than what God has called you to use your time on. It's really that simple.

2005/2/21 17:01Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

My difficulty is that i'm doing some pastoring and training to enter full time pastoral work and i have to decide what i will say from the pulpit...often i have challenged the congregation to examine their use of time (and i've used TV as an example) but i have to be careful not to preach legalism...i think that's a challenge.

I've spent most of the last 25 years in a pulpit somewhere; & I make it my practice to have no preconceived ideas about what I'm going to say when I get in that pulpit. Why? Because the needs of that congregation are constantly changing, & if I hope to meet their most pressing needs @ the time, I need to hear from God then. I carry no sermon notes. I simply go to the church & spend about 2 hours alone with God there before I preach, getting in touch with God & finding out what He's have me to say.

2005/2/21 17:48Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

a lot of times I have to stay up an extra half hour to have devotions with my wife, & a lot of times I have to get up early to have the time I want online, or I have to take time to talk to someone about the LORD during lunch. I'm not advocating a religious practice. I'm advocating a wholehearted relationship. If you love your wife, you'll find time to spend with her.

2005/2/21 17:52Profile
dohzman

Re:One thing you forgot in your equation

The average mans work day is 8 hrs- times 5 days which equals 40 hrs, if he gives 10% of his earnings he has in effect given some of his time already---it took time to earn the money.The whole issue with devotion to the Lord was one of uninterrupted fellowship---pray without ceasing?lo I am with you always? It is no longer I but Christ that lives in me and the life I now live in the flesh.....?ect... and much more--- I very much enjoyed the Book By Brother Lawerance title "Practicing the Presence of God" , very good and very practical.I understand what your saying and I understand what the quakers practice but basically thier both flawed. At least according to scripture.We are to live in the very presence of Christ and be devoted to the attendance of His word as a mater of normal daily discipline.

2005/2/22 0:49Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I'd pick you to be on my team anyday.

Thanks Krispy! What a rag-tag team it would be with me included.

Years ago I remember reading, maybe it was a psychologist who wrote it: “The story of the human race is the story of men and women selling themselves short. The average person tends to settle for far less than he’s capable of and then wonders why he’s so dissatisfied and frustrated with his life.”

As believers we might modify this statement some, but the essence is sadly true.

Learning to walk in humility is certainly a process. Understanding that I do not have it all figured out and never will as long as God keeps telling me His ways are above and beyond my ways.

I know people grow weary of me using the word balance, but after having driven on four unbalanced tires as it were, for so long, surely the ride is more pleasant when they are balanced.

As it was for Elisha and the Shunamite woman, there was a time and season for prayer, and then there was a time and season for Ministry when the Prophet had to get up from praying and do what God said to do.

Whatever that time and season we now find ourselves, if we faint not, we shall reap!!

God Bless,
tony

2005/2/22 2:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy