SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THe life and Diary of David Brainerd

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

THe life and Diary of David Brainerd

I hardly ever so longed to live to God, and to be altogether devoted to Him; I wanted to wear out my life in His service and for His glory. (David Brainerd)

I am reading the Life and Diary of David Brainerd again and have been very blessed. This young man had such a heart for the LORD and desire to live for HIM. His desire was for GOD to be glorified and lifted up in his life and even though he had dark days of melancholy the faithfulness of JESUS to bring him out of those trails is constant.I am encouraged by the account of this mans life because in his words he is always pointing the reading back to GOD. He shares how by GODS strength he is able to interceded at length for his enemies and for lost souls. :)

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/15 9:21Profile
MaryJane

Re: THe life and Diary of David Brainerd

Farewell, vain world; my soul can bid adieu; My Saviour's taught me to abandon you. Your charms may gratify a sensual mind; Not please a soul wholly for God design'd. Forbear to entice, cease then my soul to call; Tis fix'd through grace;
my God shall be my all. While he thus lets me heavenly glories view, Your beauties fade, my heart's no room for you.'
(DB quote)

Just really felt encouraged by the picture these words brought to my mind as I read them.

God bless
mj

2012/8/16 8:18Profile

More history on David Brainard.

I do not remember any other who expressed his suffering as much as D.B., in his embracement of His Cross and awareness of his weakness.

It would be almost depressing to me, as he goes on and on about failure and hardship..[ TB killed him painfully], and unworthiness as he trudged along to the Indian camps....if I did not to some degree experience the same.

"We had the sentence of death within ourselves, so that we would not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead!"

"This illness, generally considered to be tuberculosis, had begun to affect him at Yale, but worsened when he entered the mission field.

In his final years, he also suffered from a form of depression that was sometimes immobilising and which, on at least twenty-two occasions, led him to wish for death. He was also affected by difficulties faced by other missionaries of the period, such as loneliness and lack of food."...wiki

He became a model for us all, and chose Jesus over his life, no matter the cost, and therefore, was the model of a successful life.

"In May 1747, he was diagnosed with incurable consumption; in these final months, he suffered greatly. In his diary entry for 24 September, Brainerd wrote:

'In the greatest distress that ever I endured having an uncommon kind of hiccough; which either strangled me or threw me into a straining to vomit'.

During this time, he was nursed by Jerusha Edwards, Jonathan's seventeen-year-old daughter. The friendship that grew between them was of a kind that has led some to suggest they were romantically attached.

He died from tuberculosis on 9 October 1747, at the age of 29. He is buried at Bridge Street Cemetery in Northampton, next to Jerusha, who died in February 1748 as a result of contracting tuberculosis from nursing Brainerd. His gravestone reads:

Sacred to the memory of the Rev. David Brainerd.

A faithful and laborious missionary to the Stockbridge, Delaware and Sasquehanna TRIBES OF INDIANS WHO died in this town.............

3 and 1/2 years was all he had, and his testimony shook the world as to what Christian devotion really is. Comparing my life to his brings guilt upon me, though I accept mercy.

2012/8/16 11:06
dottiejean

Pacific NW

Re: More history on David Brainard.

Several years ago, I was moved when I once again read Brainard's story.

But in all honesty, tears actually came to my eyes when I read that he and Jonathan Edward's daughter were romantically attached. How sweet that the Lord would bring these 2 families together so that she could comfort him in his pain. One could wish that they could have become husband and wife and served the Lord together. "Two is better than one." But God knows......

2012/8/18 20:01Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Afterwards at another house, prayed privately with a dear Christian friend or two; and I think I scarce ever launched so far into the eternal world as then; I got so far out on the broad ocean that my soul with joy triumphed over all the evils on the shores of mortality. I think time and all is gay amusements and cruel disappointments never appeared so inconsiderable to me before. I was in a sweet frame; I say myself nothing, and my soul reached after GOD with intense desire. O! I saw what I owed to GOD, in such a manner, as I scarce ever did; I knew I had never lived a moment to him as I should do; indeed it appeared to me I had never done any thing in Christianity: my soul longed with a vehement desire to live to GOD.(DB excerpt The Life and Diary)

What I owe to GOD!...I can so understand the heart behind these words.

God bless
mj

2012/8/19 19:17Profile

Re: More history on David Brainard.

my dear brother Tom,

i've been chewing over what you wrote for several days now, and its been on my heart to encourage you in something you wrote.

i know full and well we've had our differences in the past, and you might not consider me in a favorable light, forgive that assumption.

I would posit that the "Life of Brainerd" is one of the most annointed non-canonical books i ever had the joy to read. It was the second non-canonical book i read, the first being "Azusa Street".

you wrote:

Quote:
3 and 1/2 years was all he had, and his testimony shook the world as to what Christian devotion really is. Comparing my life to his brings guilt upon me, though I accept mercy.

and that broke my heart, because David is David, and God put him there at that time and place...at Crossweeksung, to lead maybe 300 Indians to a saving Knowledge of Jesus Christ, and then, when dying of TB, (as you know) to Jonathan Edwards house in Northhampton, Mass.

i'm sure you know this, but David had NO intention of 'publishing' his private journals. none! It was Jonathan Edwards that IMPLORED that dear dying saint to allow him to publish the diaries. Begged him, because Jonathan argued precisely that this written account and testimony would bear witness to MANY struggling saints, that what we go thru is not something strange, that suffering is part of the package, along with the joy and peace that transcends ALL understanding.

and David saw the wisdom in this, and gave his approval for Jonathan to print this soaring searing work of Jesus.

But this is why i wanted to write you, you neednt feel any "guilt".....i'm NOT telling you WHAT to feel, but David Brainerd was David Brainerd, and you Tom are you, beautiful and unique in the Eyes of the LORD, with a witness and testimony and work in Christ, the results of which will only be known when we go to be with Jesus in the New Jerusalem.

but i do know what you mean....its like, how can we EVER meet such a Standard?

we do the best we can, with no guilt, only Joy inexpressible...been meaning to say that to you for a few days now.....now, my brother and i get to skid some BIG shagbark hickory logs out of my forest for firewood, i send my love to you in Christ Jesus, neil

2012/8/21 9:20
MaryJane

Re:

Neil wrote:
I would posit that the "Life of Brainerd" is one of the most annointed non-canonical books i ever had the joy to read.

I have found this to be the case with me as well. There is a sweetness about the way he wrote, such a devotion to GOD that I have not really read expressed in such a way. I can relate to his periods of melancholy but yet time after time he writes of how the LORD favored him with times of joy and sweetness in HIS presence.

I live in CT and its is very interesting now to read these words in this book and drive through the towns and areas talked about. Just a few miles from my house is the Brainerd park although sadly not to many here know the reason the park was named after this man, they don't know his love for GOD and desire to share JESUS with the Indians and others. It is so sad to see this area that once was the place GOD used to bring about rival now have so many who no longer know the LORD or desire to seek after HIM.

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/21 10:12Profile

MJ

Quote:
I live in CT and its is very interesting now to read these words in this book and drive through the towns and areas talked about. Just a few miles from my house is the Brainerd park although sadly not to many here know the reason the park was named after this man, they don't know his love for GOD and desire to share JESUS with the Indians and others. It is so sad to see this area that once was the place GOD used to bring about rival now have so many who no longer know the LORD or desire to seek after HIM.

really?....was it the site of his childhood house?...or a glade of trees he used to tarry at?......and to think passersby dont even KNOW.....that here is a park, named for a dear servant of Jesus', who only lived 29 years, YET, affected countless saints since the first printing of his journals, in 1749 (i think)...how many missionaries, or just other lonely suffering saints were encouraged by this dear man...and nobody that walks by knows his name...yet, i'll bet they can reel off the names of this or that bit of contemporary cultural flotsam and jetsom.

now i'm trying to remember WHO told me about David in 2002, when i first came to know Jesus....was it HERE?...i know that when i first came to Jesus, obviously the first Thing i did was read the New Testament, while i was in the Gospel accounts, i know that i punched in the word "revival" to google. Revival was on my heart, coz God lead me to an Assemblies of God church via my son's mother, then the pastor, now one of my dearest friends, showed the assembly a teaching on video of the 'roots' of the AoG....which was the Azusa Street revival, so i immediately got Frank Bartleman's account of what happened, and via Frank's account, i was led to Evan Roberts life and ministry, and the Welsh Revival of 1904......then the first website, i was led to was 'fireonthealtar.com" (that fired me up to start making compilations)...i heard my first audio sermon on there, it was Michael Brown's "Holy Desperation"....and Michael was VERY important to me, because like me, Michael is a Jew, who came to follow Jesus, and everything at first, was very very strange to me....not uncomfortable...just different, so hearing Michael teach and preach, is in many ways, like listening to a rabbi.....mistake me not, i'm not putting down any pastors...NO!....its something thats very difficult to explain.

but anyway, then i found my way HERE, via fire on the altar, and it was here, that i became acqauinted with the Hebridean Revival and the ministry of Duncan Campbell...another very important person to me in my walk with Messiah.....ahhh,so many memories in this short ten years...seems like a world ago.....Greg Gordon is very important to me, beloved, it was him that turned me onto Duncan and Len Ravenhill...this website itself has been SO very crucial to me....Greg was 22, or 23, i think, and i was 42 then, its almost like we grown up together, and do you know, i have never met my dear brother face to face?

i just got convicted on something....i've never made a freewill love offering to this ministry...not because i DIDNT WANT to, but shame on me, i must correct that, Greg has a family now, and he has blessed me beyond measure, much love to you in Christ Jesus, neil

2012/8/21 21:08
MaryJane

Re: MJ

Neil wrote:
really?....was it the site of his childhood house?...or a glade of trees he used to tarry at?......and to think passersby dont even KNOW.....that here is a park, named for a dear servant of Jesus', who only lived 29 years, YET, affected countless saints since the first printing of his journals, in 1749 (i think)...how many missionaries, or just other lonely suffering saints were encouraged by this dear man...and nobody that walks by knows his name...yet, i'll bet they can reel off the names of this or that bit of contemporary cultural flotsam and jetsom.

The park near where I live is an area where he passed through on his way to John Edwards home. He was known to spend hours alone in the woods praying and seeking GOD. He also shared the LORD with the Indians through this area, as well as Long Island, and Pennsylvania. Its interesting that David was really only in the missionary field for a few short years but his passion for JESUS and desire to share with others was so strong that after he died his own younger brother John Brainerd went on to finish the job of sharing with the Indians the gospel. In fact John spent 34 years in service to the LORD sharing and caring for Native American Indians in NJ.

The two brothers were very close and share the bond of deeper brotherhood in CHRIST JESUS so its not surprising that John would continue were David had left off.
++
Here is an except from two letters

The first was written in April, 1743 from David to John:

I should tell you that I long to see you, but my own experience has taught me that there is no happiness and satisfaction to be enjoyed in earthly friends or any other enjoyment that is not God Himself. Therefore, if the God of all grace is pleased graciously to afford each of us His presence and grace, that we may perform the work He calls us to do until we arrive at our journey’s end, then the local distance at which we are held from one another at present is of no great importance to either of us. Alas! The presence of God is what I want and need. For my part, I feel the most vile of any creature living. All you can do for me is pray incessantly that God would make me humble, holy, resigned, and heavenly-minded by my trials. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Let us run, wrestle and fight, that we may win the prize and obtain that complete happiness of being holy, as God is holy. So wishing and praying that you may advance in learning and grace, and be made fit for special service for God - I remain,
Your affectionate brother.

Part of another letter to John, December 27, 1743:

Why should we sink and grow discouraged with any particular trials which we encounter in this world? Death and eternity are before us - a few more tossing billows will waft us into the world of spirits and we hope into endless pleasures and uninterrupted rest and peace. Let us, then, run with patience the race set before us. O, that we could depend more on the living God and less upon our own wisdom and strength. My dear brother, may the God of all grace comfort your heart and make you an instrument of good to His people in your day. This is the constant prayer of your affectionate brother.

2012/8/21 23:16Profile
MaryJane

Re:

In continuing to read of Brainerds life and time as missionary to the Indians I am amazed and so encouraged how in this mans deepest struggles both physical and mental he found sweetness, comfort, and assistance in the LORDS presence. GOD never once failed him, Brainerd writes of GODS strengthening him over and over again. He spoke of how after periods of time when he thought himself very near death and most deserving of it GOD came in and renewed his spirit and strength.

GOD is so amazing, so awesome and HIS love for us is unending. I find such encouragement in these words in these days and times. Storms will come, as well as trails and struggles but GOD is faithful, HE loves HIS children and HIS care is all that we need!!

God Bless
maryjane

2012/8/22 16:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy