SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine :  Do we need to know the book?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Do we need to know the book?

Jesus taught the parable of the sower dealing entirely with our response to the word of God. Several things jump out at me right away.

First, the disciple's question and Jesus' answer found between the telling of the parable and the blow by blow explanation of the parable are not unrelated, but are integral to the understanding of what Jesus is talking about. The punchline if you will of Jesus answer, "to him that hath, more will be given and to him that hath not, even what he has will be taken away", is in the context of one who truly hears and sees. The same statement is used in the parable of the talents. I believe Jesus was teaching the same principle in both places and it has to do with our response to the word of God. It is really the same overall lesson of the parable of the sower. That is that what we do with the word of God when the Holy Spirit gives us revelation of that word is vital (life or death).

Second, we choose our response to the word. We must be diligent in our study, meditation, and response to the word of God. We absolutely must make it first place in our lives. It cannot be a passing thought, but a focus of our existence. It is a seed that is sown in our hearts and must be tended and watered in order to bear fruit. The degree to which we tend, water, and pull out the competing things of the flesh is the degree to which the word will bear fruit in our lives.

2012/8/15 7:52Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, it is stated that the word of the Lord should be in your heart and on you lips...not in your hand or on your coffee table.jimp

2012/8/15 12:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
The same statement is used in the parable of the talents. I believe Jesus was teaching the same principle in both places and it has to do with our response to the word of God.

That's something that kind of jumped out at me as well recently.

2012/8/15 12:17

Re: Travis

Rich insights from your post that are giving me food for thought. I agree that attention to being in the word is a choice. I see this in Luke 10 in the account of Mary and Martha. Mary made a conscience choice to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to his word. Martha could have had that same privilege. But she was distracted by all her preparations. When Martha in frustration asked Jesus to send Mary to help her. Jesus gently chastised Martha and said Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her.

By the way it is my understanding that what Mary was doing was only reserved for men. Women were not allowed to sit at the feet of rabbis. Jesus was the first rabbi to extend this privilage to women.

As I write this a lot of application can be gleaned from Martha and Mary. What I take away from this is being in the presence of Jesus and his word is a choice. And his invite is open to all to come and feast at his table in the riches of his word. I am sure the Holy Spirit will reveal more to ne as I meditate on this account out of Luke.

Just my thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/15 12:35
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

What a great thread.

This reminds of the recent miracle with the Pastor who was captured by terrorists and during his ordeal, he later said that a passage from Acts comforted him in the midst and height of his fear. The Word is the difference between life and death and brings life in the midst of death.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/15 12:48Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
If Jesus Relied on the written word when he was tempted how much more do we need the written word in our hearts for when temptation comes on us.

This is a good point. One reason to know the scriptures is to resist temptation… and to even recognize temptations for what they are. I don’t mean merely temptations to act wrongly, but temptations to think wrongly. We are constantly barraged with a host of ideas, which may very well seem right. But unless we are well rooted in scripture, we will always be prone to accepting distortions. It is not merely a matter of knowing the bible, content- wise, but of thinking biblically. And that is another matter. Plenty people know that Bible but do not think biblically. A good example is this: thinking “legally” instead of according to grace. That’s the way our society thinks, so it’s hard to recognize it in ourselves – apart from being well rooted in God’s love – through his Spirit and word.

Diane

2012/8/15 14:36Profile
DHuff

Atlanta

Re: Do we need to know the book?

"And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God" - Mark 12:24

2012/8/15 17:12Profile
learn

Re:

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"--Matthew 4:4

2012/8/15 17:14Profile

Re:

The Spirit gives life, the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.......John 6:63

2012/8/15 17:23
proudpapa

If you believe not Bible neither will u be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

If you believe not Bible neither will u be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Historical criticism is destroying Christianity, It Has destroyed the faith of countless individuals in our seminaries,such as Bart Ehrman.

And even us whom consider ourselves as Bible believers are effected, unaware by Historical criticism.

Luke 16

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets(the scripture); let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets (the scripture), neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

2012/8/15 22:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy