Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : Recent Posts Page and Tracking

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Koheleth

NC

Recent Posts Page and Tracking

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all of the different aspects of your work on SI. I do like the "top 10" posts on the home page, but don't find it really delivers what I and possibly others might be looking for.

There are forum systems these days that allow you to be alerted when there is activity on a thread. Although many of these are free, I don't know what is involved with getting one of these running on a website, so possibly you don't have the time, knowledge, and people to actually pu this in place. So I have a request that would be almost as good for my uses.

I often find that the top 10 posts can be trendy or debate oriented discussions as some of the posting frenzy focuses on those posts. In contrast, some of the posts that are real gems, where there is more reading and reflection and occasional follow-ups are often pushed off the top list. Is it possible to make a link to a page, even one that isn't highly promoted, with the 100 most recent posts (instead of 10)? You could just use the same code as on the home page, but set it to list 100. That would be a great help to me as a visitor to the forums.

Many thanks again, brother.

2012/8/6 11:12Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Recent Posts Page and Tracking

Quote:
I often find that the top 10 posts can be trendy or debate oriented discussions as some of the posting frenzy focuses on those posts. In contrast, some of the posts that are real gems, where there is more reading and reflection and occasional follow-ups are often pushed off the top list. Is it possible to make a link to a page, even one that isn't highly promoted, with the 100 most recent posts (instead of 10)? You could just use the same code as on the home page, but set it to list 100. That would be a great help to me as a visitor to the forums.

Dear Brother,

That is a great suggestion and we will look into implementing this in the future. we have had thoughts of removing the top 10 recent posts from the front page because of the desire for people to try and get seen on that selection of posts and a top 100 posts on a separate page would diffuse this. And in turn we would manually feature 4-5 of the "better" gem posts and discussions on the front page etc.

thanks for the suggestion it is being prayerfully considered.

2012/8/6 13:44Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

I like that, brother! I had thought of suggesting removing the top 10 posts from the home page, but didn't want to come across as insulting. Not that important either way. As far as featuring some gems, I have thought before about compiling some of the best threads each week or month and posting them occasionally to benefit readers. Not something I could do right now, but if you feature selected posts, that would fill a need to allow the profitable material to be found without so much reading. I for one would really be attracted to that. God be in all your labors, and be in God's.

2012/8/6 14:28Profile
mama27

Re:

Also Brother Greg...I do not understand all the tech aspects of things, but I have noticed that sometimes rather urgent prayer requests get bumped from the front page b/c people keep responding to a news item that is prominent like the Chick-Fil-A item of last week for example....then if people haven't gone to SI for several hours, they may not have even seen the prayer request at all, b/c unless someone responds to it, it is not brought back up to the front page. Not sure what can be done about that....

I am not referring to people like myself who have had an ongoing request for almost 2 years now...I am referring to maybe someone is urgently rushed to the hospital, or Bro Denny with the brain tumor or something like that....

2012/8/6 18:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy