SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Could you give advice on academics?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Could you give advice on academics?

Could some of you prayerfully advise me about something?

I used to be in college and dropped out when I became a Christian because the pride of academics was interfering with my walk. I want to return to my studies (science) now that I have gained ground in my walk and have a better grip on humility.

Basically my question is: can a Christian be a follower of Jesus Christ AND pursue science?

I came up with some reasons I want to study science and listed them below:

- To better understand the under workings of God's creation. Its interesting.
- To defend the faith in my discipline. see www.creation.com
- To have a career in science (where I can, and hope to, witness the gospel)

Thanks, I always appreciate your posts,

Noah

2012/8/4 22:25
andres

texas,brownsville

Re: Could you give advice on academics?

"Basically my question is: can a Christian be a follower of Jesus Christ AND pursue science?"

yes of Course..your reasons are excellent..a great book to help you understand the battle for science by the humanists is called " How now shall we live? by Colson and Pearcey

may God grant you protection and blessing has you go on you Journey
andy

2012/8/4 22:41Profile

Re:

I bought a used copy on amazon for $4. hope its good. Thanks

2012/8/4 22:52
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

it is a good book..and you got it for a great price.. you going to find that your call to science is an important one. you may feel like Elijah a times ( alone), but the truth is on your side ( not to mention God, Jesus an the Holy Spirit)
andy

2012/8/4 22:59Profile

Re:

yeah I agree. I want to share the knowledge of a consistent Christian worldview with the grace of the Lord.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm called to science but I do have the desire.

2012/8/4 23:06
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Noah,

Which field of science are you interested in studying?

On a personal level, I have never regretted earning my education. Not only does it open doors for both witness and employment, but it also expands knowledge. I enjoyed studying with the "mind of Christ." I saw everything that I studied through the lens of the wisdom found in God's Word.

I'll remember you in my prayers.

2012/8/5 3:00Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

I don't see why you can't. Remember, the creation (and science) will testify of it's Maker, no matter how hard man tries to pervert it.

Don't despise an education. It's a terrible master, but a useful servant that God can use. Look at Paul. After the Lord broke him, He used Paul in ways that He didn't use the other apostles, many times because of Paul's education. If you submit your education to the Lord, it can certainly be used by and for Him.

2012/8/5 3:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Noah,

If God is leading you to do so, there is no reason to question it. But it is fraught with many pitfalls. Many professors subscribe to an evolutionary world-view and this is in direct conflict with Scripture. Are you well enough grounded in the WORD that you can withstand this pressure?

Twenty years ago our oldest son earned a B.S degree in micro-biology at a state university. Since this town was/is in the Bible Belt where many students are from the south and have studied under A Beka curriculum, they did not subscribe to evolutionary theory. One evolutionist sense his students rejection of his theory...one day it made him huffy - our son thought it was funny. In any case it was never pushed so hard that it became a pass/fail issue. But this was twenty years ago, things may have changed since then.

As a side note: this son told us if you learn the principles well in Biology 101 it will equip you so you can easily see through the fallacy of the evolutionary theory that is presented later on.

What field of science are you interested in pursuing?

God bless.

ginnyrose

2012/8/5 7:17Profile

Yes, you have freedom to pursue academics. I think that your first dropping out, was because [ evidently] of holy conviction, as per your testimony, and that is a good thing. My counsel is; Keep walking in that one and same spirit!

There have been many, many holy Saints that have rejected higher education because of the Gospel. No, we do not have to impose a "Christian Lobotomy" on ourselves to focus on the simplicity of the Gospel, or pursue a life of manual labor because it is simple. We have to be led of the Lord.

I have some intellectual interests that I enjoy; politics, [ or the hypocrisy of them], and history and the News too.

A more simple way to see it is; "Do we need Doctors?"...and of course, the answer is simple? Yes! Would you like a doctor to operate on you, say the removal of a brain tumor, with extensive training and internship, or me? Dr. Watkins. I would dive in with my saw and scalpel by faith. Don't worry; You'll be fine!
Everything will be OK.

Same way with Science. I utterly enjoy the Creationist's Godly apologetic stance; utterly shredding Darwinism and the humanistic philosophy, and proving that God is.

The question is: where is God leading you? This is where you must follow, and sometimes we all make mistakes, or take a left where we ought to have taken a right. I do this almost every day. If you have peace to go to school again, then obey. If you do not, don't, or if you lose your peace after obeying, then follow the cloud.

Consider the children of Israel in Moses. They followed the cloud, and had to to survive and eat the manna. It is like that with us, and it is a daily thing, and things change daily. If you have made a mistake, God still loves you. Repent, which means turn around, and begin again.................

Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it."

Beware of "Saving your Life."..IE, trying to live larger and more "successful" than you are. This is a subtle trap to many that pursue a higher education; either consciously or sub-consciously, more education means more income and a better life. This is a lie. A better life is a crucified life that is possessed by Jesus.

The best counsel then would be, to forsake ALL, and follow Jesus, Eh?

"or he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken;
and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon.

And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.”

"So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him."

Wow!...The most awesome and greatest saints ever did this one thing that separated them above all others. They followed the Lamb wherever He may go. This is your duty and primary call, in a science class? or in the ghetto at a half-way house preaching a loving Jesus.

Like to know how things work out...Tom

2012/8/5 7:56

Re:

"Which field of science are you interested in studying?"

Chemistry primarily, but also physics and biology

"I enjoyed studying with the "mind of Christ." I saw everything that I studied through the lens of the wisdom found in God's Word."

yes! I have a desire for this and I have lofty thoughts of wonderful things that could happen. I mean, every born again Christian desires Paul's heart before Agrippa ("In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian?" Acts 26:28), Stephen's wisdom before the Sanhedrin ("But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking." Acts 6:10), Daniels wisdom and Extraordinary Spirit ("...showing intelligence in every branch of wisdom, endowed with understanding and discerning knowledge..." 1:4) and the power of Pentecost. My comment on this desire I have would be that I don't think I have it in me to seek the Lord so much to obtain this. Sorry for the sad note, but revival doesn't happen so easy.

I recently listened All Things Work Together by Paul Ravenhill
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=13352&commentView=itemComments
and in it he talked about how in some mission work areas there is fruit and revival but in others you can count the converts on your fingers after years (with solid missionaries). He talked about Satan's strongholds and fortresses and fervent prayer. The reality is that we have a formidable foe. Anyway, my point is my desire is there but my faith lacks.

"I don't see why you can't. Remember, the creation (and science) will testify of it's Maker, no matter how hard man tries to pervert it.

Don't despise an education. It's a terrible master, but a useful servant that God can use. Look at Paul. After the Lord broke him, He used Paul in ways that He didn't use the other apostles, many times because of Paul's education. If you submit your education to the Lord, it can certainly be used by and for Him."

Wow well said. The lord is working on breaking me. It sure is painful.

"If God is leading you to do so, there is no reason to question it. But it is fraught with many pitfalls. Many professors subscribe to an evolutionary world-view and this is in direct conflict with Scripture. Are you well enough grounded in the WORD that you can withstand this pressure?"

Ginnyrose,

several months ago I came across www.creation.com and in reading articles found that I was still subscribing to long ages and evolution to some extent. The Lord used that site to solidify in me that science is NOT opposed to the Bible: the world is about 6000 years old and that macro evolution is not true. I am definitely grounded in the word but I needed to hear from Biblical Christian scientists that there IS science to back up the Christian worldview! Or at least cast rightful doubt on many areas of science that oppose the Bible. I recommend the short articles on the island Surtsey for example
http://creation.com/surtsey-the-young-island-that-looks-old
http://creation.com/surtsey-still-surprises
These really helped me to break through the atheist evolutionary worldview that was so ingrained in me when I was an atheist/agnostic.

BrotherTom:

I think you understand. You're the man called to Eritrea right? Ever heard that statement "the enemy of God's best is something good"? I'm sure you've had many good things pop up in your life to deter you from God's best. Science maybe good, but God's best maybe:

"And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” "So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.""

2012/8/5 12:52

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy