Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Olympics and Christians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Olympics and Christians

While I was at work , yesterday, I had on Moody radio for a little while and someone was interviewing an athlete and the focus was on their Christian Faith. The person talked about how God helped them to get where they are and win medals, etc. Well, Personally, I Felt embarrassed because it seemed such a dumbed down interviewed with all the right answers and set up questions. All I needed was an AMEN corner to put the "!" on it. Critically thinking, if it was this persons faith in God that got them to where they are then what do we say about those who are not Christians and yet made it there complete with medals. Chinese are a prime example. Can we truly give God the glory in such a case? Or am I simply looking at this totally wrong?

I thought the interview was terrible plus, where is that line in giving Praise to God when it is genuine vs. when it is merely constructed to look good. Know what I mean? Has anyone heard any 'Christian' interview and felt embarrassed for the person or for the radio personality asking the questions?

With the Olympics, it comes down to alot of hard physical work to perfect the craft. After this it comes to personality of the person which may say something of their character and after that comes the God factor although I know in the Christian community it is holier say reverse that whole scenerio but if we were to do that would it be the truth? There are countries like China which can prove that to be wrong.

What are your thoughts?

2012/8/2 13:13Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Olympics and Christians

My thoughts? what ever happened to "face value" does everything have to be dissected to bring Glory to Christ? The most powerful word in the universe is "Jesus" just one word, none else needs to be added, subtracted, or dissected, just the face value is more than enough.

2012/8/2 13:32Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

It doesn't have to be dissected but there are times when an interviewed just either should be or should be better equiped when it comes to interviewing someone about their faith in light of the background.

2012/8/2 15:16Profile
richrock

UK

Re:

Sad to say that many popular or people in the public eye who openly profess a Christian faith are dissected, and my thoughts are:

I've read/heard about many celebrities who have jumped on the Christian bandwagon, saying Jesus is my hero and much more besides, then show absolutely no other evidence to support this.

For many people their faith is a more private and personal thing, so even just saying I'm a Christian is a step out for them. Sure, there are many good examples of Christian sports people (enough to have an organisation - Christians in sport I think it's called), and many do live out solid believing lives.

I mention the cult of celebrity (because thats what I think of it) and see people unchanged say they're a Christian and are then splashed all over the tabloids, off their faces on alcohol tumbling out of some lewd nightclub at 2am... Is that fruit? Too many examples of this have caused (especially this side of the pond) a certain wariness about people.

Plus, the age we live in - Jesus is simply a magic name to some, as if it implies a certain standard of living, or a get out of hell free card to some.

Maybe I'm rambling too much. If I'd heard the interview, I would say something different.

2012/8/2 15:41Profile
davet

Re:

The difference between the christian athlete and the athlete who doesn't know God? Both could do nothing apart from God, but only the christian gives glory and thanks to Him. Yes both must work hard... but are we not all indebted to Christ who gives us breath? or as Paul would say it

"‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, "We are his offspring".

A thankful heart is not necessarily a godly heart... but a godly heart is a thankful heart.

2012/8/2 16:24Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: Olympics and Christians

Christians and Olympics? Would be great if there were Christians there proclaiming the gospel, handing out tracts, praying and counseling, calling people to repent for their idle and idol-centered lives.

Other than that, I do not think it is safe for Christians to have much to do with the Olympics. I think there are things we may be able to appreciate and learn from athletic events, and I have done so before. Paul used athletics as examples in Scripture. The Bible also uses unjust stewards, soldiers, and serpents as "illustrations" of certain qualities the Christian can imitate. But apart from the one relevant point, we are not to be like any of these. Paul says "bodily exercise is of a little profit, but godliness is profitable for all things, both now and in the life to come."

It is not wise for a Christian to publicly credit their faith and God with getting them to the top and to the Olympics. In fact, it is probably wrong to do so. Sporting has so many wrong things associated with it. If a Christian's athletic career is much more than just a job, just what they do to make a living, then it has become an idol. In that case, they are not spending their energies for the gospel of the kingdom.

For this reason, a Christian should not link true faith in Christ and the power of God to anything of this world's athletic or sporting events. Should a man who works in a lightbulb factory say, "My faith in God allowed me to land this position." Should the woman at the front desk of the local government office say, "God's leading in my life allowed me to spend my days at this desk." God does not glory in the glory of the Olympics. That is all worldly glory, so God's leading has nothing to do with being there, apart from it being a way to earn a living. If it is more than that, it has replaced God and is wrong.

Here's some related quotations from brother Leonard Ravenhill:

The King in America . . . You say there isn't one. Yes there is; his name is King Sport and his wife is Queen Entertainment.

You say, "If I had more time, I would study the Bible." Well then, why are you going to watch football all afternoon for?"

2012/8/6 12:28Profile
staff

Re:

Hi I am looking at a documentary on Eric Liddell at the moment on Youtube.
He is portrayed in the movie "Chariots of Fire".
Their are a couple of inaccuracies in the movie but more or less correct.
Liddell won an Olympic gold in the 400m which he was not fancied to get anything after not running in his favored event because it was on a Sunday.Just before the start of the race a trainer from the US team handed him a scripture "I will honor those who honor me".It was big news at the time in GB.
God gave him the honor or the worldly glory as you say.
If a person is an Athlete of what ever code and a Christian lead by the Spirit then like any other Job God has a reason and a plan for them.The Job of Athletics or sport only becomes an idol because we let it.
God helps christians in their work whether they are at a desk or in the 400metre final in the Olympics.
God honors them that honors him but also he chooses whom he chooses and we dont know why most of the time.
The story of Eric Liddell(very inspiring)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDqCwH_2OK8
Yours Staff

2012/8/6 18:23Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

koheleth wrote:

"If a Christian's athletic career is much more than just a job, just what they do to make a living, then then it has become an idol. In that case, they are not spending their energies for the gospel of the kingdom."

I am not sure this is fair, since 99.9% of Christians don't have jobs in which the spend their energies "for the gospel of the kingdom."

I mean, if we are brutally honest, we can SAY that we are doing our jobs for the glory of God, and in a sense we may be, but again if we are brutally honest few of us have jobs that further the gospel of the kingdom.

I understand where Deadn is coming from; as of right now China is leading in medals.... if Yawheh is helping Christian olympians win their medals.. who is helping the Chinese?

2012/8/6 20:30Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

TMK wrote:

Quote:
I mean, if we are brutally honest, we can SAY that we are doing our jobs for the glory of God, and in a sense we may be, but again if we are brutally honest few of us have jobs that further the gospel of the kingdom.

Brother, I can not only say it, I can *SAY* it. I can sing it aloud as a praise to God most high! I work at a regular job like anyone else, I am not in "full-time ministry". It is hypocrisy to "say" or pretend that we are doing our jobs for the glory of God, but it is another to have that as our understanding and goal. I have a wife and children. The Bible says that if I don't provide for my own, and God's own, then I am worse than an unbeliever and I have denied the faith. This isn't some semantic game. It is the Word of the Lord.

Furthermore, if there is any mature believer who has enough to live on and continues in a job to provide for their flesh or anything other than the kingdom of God, their work has become an idol. That is true whether you are an Olympic athlete, a plumber, a teacher, or a farmer. Any Christian who is not working specifically and distinctly with only the kingdom in mind is not seeking first the kingdom of God.

Like TMK said, if we are "brutally honest" and we don't have jobs that "further the gospel of the kingdom", then we need to get God's perspective on how he wants us to use our lives, if we are truly following him, and then do whatever he says. To stay in a job where there is not clarity that we are serving God and doing what he wants us to do is putting our own preferences before God's will. I don't recommend anyone do anything rash, of course, but Paul said to live your life with a clear conscience. If you are a Christian, get clear and serve the Lord with your life. You won't regret doing that after you pass on from this life. As they say, in the grave no one wishes they spent more time at work. Not unless the work you get paid for is tangibly tied to the gospel. Otherwise, work is just one part of a godly life.

2012/8/6 21:56Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

TMK wrote:

Quote:
I am not sure this is fair, since 99.9% of Christians don't have jobs in which the spend their energies "for the gospel of the kingdom."

If you mean we are not in full time ministry, I agree. But if you mean that Christians are not doing God's will when they go to work, then are we just serving ourselves? Why did Paul instruct the believers to work?

2012/8/6 22:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy