SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : You seek for prophets!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

If I may continue my musings for a bit. The prophets were those chosen by God to speak his word under the Old Covenant. Under the New Covenant his word should dwell within us richly. All of us can speak the word to admonish, encourage, strengthen, build up, etc. Being we are in the body. We all have the same access to God. There is no religious class distinction here.

Must think more on this.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/31 9:45

The Fulfilled Ministry of Jesus will subdue the ministry of men on Earth.

There will be no prophets in Heaven, or prophesying, for there, the Testimony of Jesus will be manifest, and His Word will have carried His course, and then, to pretend to prophesy among men [ the Millennial Reign of Christ] will be pure deception.

Zechariah 13
King James Version (KJV)

" In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land.

And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the Lord: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision, when he hath prophesied; neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive:

But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth."

Revelation 19:10
"And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

One day that testimony will be fulfilled; Hallelujah!

2012/7/31 10:03

Re: Utterance prophecy . The Sheepgate.

The true Shepherds ARE on the way. They will be all we ever hoped for, and will lay their lives down for God's lambs, in love, no matter the cost to them.

Twenty years ago I was standing, holding hands in my home in a circle at the end of a home group meeting. As I stood, the Spirit of the Lord came on me in an unusual way, and I felt "the burning heart" consume me, and I prophesied.

"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"
"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"
"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"

I then wrote about seven national men who were in a place of authority, and only one wrote me back, but with no answer.

Eight years passed, and I had another visitation, I suppose, by the Lord. I was on fire; my chest area and heart area burned hard, and I was kneeling over in grief and indignation, and I prophesied again. [That prophecy is "The Sheepgate," which follows this post.]

This was God's reply to "Where are the Fathers?" They are coming, and at the same time, he is diminishing the role of the greedy shepherd.

THE SHEEPGATE
PROPHECY By Tom Watkins

"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"
"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"
"WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?"

THE SHEEPGATE.
PROPHECY
"An Appalling and horrible thing has happened to the land. The prophets prophesy falsely,and the Priests rule on their own authority.....and MY PEOPLE love it so!.....but....WHAT WILL YOU DO AT THE END OF IT?

Connected to "Where Are the Fathers?" is "The Sheepgate," a prophecy given in January, 1999.
THINGS HAVE CHANGED RECENTLY.
The Lord has established a sheep gate. Written over it is “Brethren” and “Freedom.” Every Christian on earth must pass through it.

The Prophetic Movement is over. It has fallen, even to the spirit of the Pharisees, and the Lord is grieved, and has judged it. Any brother, any leader, any Prophet, any Apostle, any Evangelist, any Pastor, any minister, that will not hear, and pass through this gate, shall be left out of the end-time ministry, His Harvest, His service.

I’ll say, “Thus says the Lord:”

BRETHREN:

“As much as you have done it to the least of these, MY BRETHREN, you have done it to ME.” [See Ezekiel 34....2-6]

1 CORINTHIAN: 11…27-32 "FOR HE WHO EATS AND DRINKS, DRINKS JUDGMENT TO HIMSELF; IF HE DOES NOT JUDGE [DISCERN] THE BODY RIGHTLY.”

Every blood-washed child, man or woman belongs to Jesus. He is jealous and passionate for them. The Pharisees refused to walk among them. Jesus loved Lazarus, Martha, and Mary, and many other nobodies like me, and you. Thank you, Lord Jesus.

The Pharisees hated Him for this. He could do nothing else, though; it was His nature.

“…but with force and severity you have dominated them…" [Ezekiel 34 ]

The Sheep Gate is receiving EVERY person as Jesus does. The Lord is on the other side with His Rod. HE is the good Shepherd.

MINISTRY AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT HAS CHANGED. THE LORD IS FED UP.
The Shepherds persecute and falsely prophesy against the heart of Jesus to preserve their place, power, and position. It is subtle, but real.

ISAIAH 40, 3-6 ”A VOICE IS CALLING;
“CLEAR THE WAY FOR THE LORD IN THE WILDERNESS!
MAKE SMOOTH IN THE DESERT A HIGHWAY FOR OUR GOD! LET EVERY VALLEY BE LIFTED UP, AND EVERY MOUNTAIN AND HILL BE MADE LOW. AND LET THE ROUGH GROUND BECOME A PLAIN, AND THE RUGGED TERRAIN A BROAD VALLEY;…THEN THE GLORY OF THE LORD SHALL BE REVEALED!…AND ALL FLESH WILL SEE IT TOGETHER!”…for the mouth of the Lord has spoken it!

The little ones, the helpless, the widows, the orphans, the unimportant, the diseased, and the driven away, the poor, the unlearned and the nobodies shall be exalted and honored by their King.

The arrogant, the rulers, the Princes, the Pharisees, and all that sit on top, and leave the meek their crumbs, SHALL BE MADE LOW!

THIS IS THE SHEEP GATE...[ and the Spirit of Elijah ] JESUS IS STANDING ON THE OTHER SIDE CALLING;
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY CHURCH?”…WITH HIS ROD.

A broad Plain is one body and unity. Equal love, equal mercy, equal honor…TO THE LEAST OF THESE MY BROTHERS. Jesus died for us ALL. He is bringing this to pass, and those who refuse this Word, shall be left out of end time ministry. They will NOT be allowed to touch anything holy. They will NOT adorn the Bride. They will NOT even be allowed to wash her feet, unless they obey this word.

That goes for every “leader”… [ servant ]. But for those who endure and receive it; they will be a part of the Revelation of the Glory of Jesus in His Holy Bride. They will be honored with clothing her; nurturing her, feeding Her, Protecting Her; ...even to the laying down of their own lives...and it will be glorious…TO GOD…AND TO MEN.

”FREEDOM”
Jesus is proclaiming freedom to His people. The fathers are coming forth. I have seen them in the end-times....[ another vision ] They are broken, humble and meek, and carry the heart of Jesus, and lead God’s people to the Lord Himself. They present the Bride to the King so that HE will be pleased. They are foot washers and they love the Bride. They lay their lives down and take great care, individually, as they walk and live in the midst of the church. They have the Father's heart, even to the least and to all. They are offended over sin, and will weep over individuals, and grieve over individual sins, like greed, selfishness and immorality.

They will eat with Mary and Martha, and hang out with Lazarus; just because they love the heart of the meek. They will be friends of sinners, and walk everyday on the streets as life givers.

No office buildings, no schedule books, no appointments; but SPIRIT-LED FATHERS THAT UNDERSTAND THAT ROYAL AND HIGH TITLE OF "BROTHER"!

They [ the fathers ] will protect the freedom of the church, AND THE CHURCH WILL BE FREE.

They will be given great authority, even as the 12 apostles, to protect her freedom. Many in leadership today will be jealous of this glory, and will want to steal it for themselves and their ministries…BUT THIS GROUP WILL NOT ALLOW IT.

The Pharisees today who don’t repent and come through WILL BE IGNORED AND BECOME IRRELEVANT! And great joy and holy Presence will rest upon this Church, and true FREEDOM TO BE LOVED BY Jesus…even to the least.

THIS IS THE SHEEP GATE.

Brother Tom Watkins.....We need grace in buckets to survive...but we will.

Given January 1999.

2012/7/31 10:31

Re: You seek for prophets!

Quote:
According to Hebrews 1 God spoke to the Old Covenant people through the prophets. Under the New Covenant God speaks to us through his Son. His words have been written down in the New Testament. All believers in Christ Jesus have access to the New Testament. We hear God speak to us through the New Testament by his Spirit.

All that being said. One wonders about the need for prophets. I am not advocating a ceasing of the sign gifts of the Spirit. But I am wondering if we truly need so many of those who call themselves prophets given the Spirit and the words of Jesus under the New Covenant.

If I may continue my musings for a bit. The prophets were those chosen by God to speak his word under the Old Covenant. Under the New Covenant his word should dwell within us richly. All of us can speak the word to admonish, encourage, strengthen, build up, etc. Being we are in the body. We all have the same access to God. There is no religious class distinction here.

Bearmaster thanks for these musings brother. They show exactly why it is necessary for believers to understand the prophetic, whether the gift of prophecy, by grace (Romans 12), by Faith (a gift of the Holy Spirit) (Corinthians 12), or by calling of God (Ephesians 4) the gift of a man.

No one who is born again actually needs to be taught or prophesied to with regard to knowing who Christ is in simplicity. In this sense we are all taught by God. When we first believed it was God Himself who led us, by the Spirit and the life we received is Christ Himself, by the Spirit. So that we could say that we have all been taught of God. When we speak of having been taught firstly by the Law and the Prophets and lastly by the Son, this is what is meant in part. This saying also speaks to the fact that the Law spoke of Christ as the Prophets prophesied of Christ. This was all in the past during the time of Israel. Then He who was spoken of came and Israel was taught of Him, even the Son. Today we are taught by the Holy Spirit and as a result we know Christ is indeed Lord. Everything which is given thereafter must clearly have another purpose in this direct sense. So that teachers, and teaching, prophecy and prophets would have to have a meaning different to the Law and the Prophets given to Israel.

It does also mean that there can be no special class of believer. No one can boast because we are all taught of God Himself. And having been taught concerning the Son, Who humbled Himself and became a servant, clearly any one claiming to be a teacher or a prophet must have this same attitude and mind. Otherwise we would have to say that they are become false. Not a fake teacher, not a fake prophet, but simply false. If they are not like minded with Christ then these men would inevitably become false because they would begin to lead God’s people astray. This is my understanding of false. Clearly in submitting this OP I have in mind something which speaks to this reality otherwise I would be acting foolishly and speculating foolishly. But unless we are all led of the Spirit as well as Taught of the Spirit we will none of us understand anything which exceeds what we understood when we first believed. This makes us vulnerable precisely because God Himself requires us to submit to those in authority, of whom there are teachers, pastors and elders. None of these are silent, and many are false. We all know of the extraordinary difficulties and abuses which have happened even by some of the greatest of God’s servants. No one is impervious to false hood if they allow themselves to be puffed up or else lose sight of Christ’s example of servant hood

2012/8/1 4:13

Hi Andrew. First I need to apologize because my eyes have been so very tired, I have not been able to read this thread but only feel that I would like to comment on the title alone.

I do not by any means feel that we, as The Body of Christ, should "seek for prophets".

For the yrs that I've been on the Internet, I've viewed more Forums and Websites than I could ever number and on the overwhelming majority of Forums, there are self-proclaimed "prophets" that are Not. They're "prophet wannabes" and it is pandemic.

If there were any message on earth that The Body of Christ needs to hear, it's to Know His Voice Yourself!

Consecrate yourself unto The LORD in Holiness, as Brother Keith Daniel preached in his message "Be Ye Holy" and then with child-like humility - knowing "without Him, ye can do Nothing" and then just trust Him to be able to practice John 16:13 - to hear GOD for oneself - that He will "even show you [personally] things to come." THAT's a Promise to ALL of His Sheep and as Paul wrote - "pray that ye may be able to prophesy."

The "prophet-class" has become just like the "priest-class" that we all complain about.

I'm waiting on the Two Witnesses - those Two Prophets, that when they come, there will be no doubt of who they are and if what they say is true.

From all that I've seen since being in the Church - the few true prophets are out-numbered 1000 to 1 -- and whenever GOD does 'send' a true prophet - 700 false ones come right behind them and undoes whatever the true speaks. And that's a fact.

I believe the Sheep need to be empowered in their personal walks with GOD. To stay humbled before the Face of their GOD and then believe Him for John 16:13 as a very small child would trust a Good Father's word to them and trust that after that - ANY child of GOD can "prophesy" -- can speak the need of the hour and can see & tell "of things to Come."

His Sheep are buried in prayer and His Word - ever seeking HIS Face --- the True Shepherd.

When they find themselves all alone in the world, they won't fear because they Know their Shepherd's Voice and that He'll lead them completely.

Those that "seek prophets" etc - will not be able to stand alone during trials and persecutions, because they've depended on 'human beings' during their Christian life and not His Word and His Spirit of Truth to guide them into All Truth and Even Show Them things to come - because they haven't trusted Him and His Word strongly enough in order to KNOW HIS VOICE - follow HIM Alone and "not follow another".

Our first obligation is - To Seek GOD, and the Mind of Christ, through prayer, fasting and His Word. All of us.

Again - Please pardon me if this has gone off the topic or direction that you've been going in and forgive me for not having the eye-strength presently to read your thread before posting what is on my heart.

His Love to you & yours always.

2012/8/1 10:04
browny

Re:

AMEN to your words sister!

(Sorry about your eyes.....)

Shalom,
browny

2012/8/1 11:17Profile

Hello Anne

Thank you for sharing into this post. May you find the strength your eyes need to read freely! Your words haven’t detracted from the OP. Mindful that truth is established through division as far as men are concerned I realise that words can seem like one thing and then prove to be something else altogether. So have I written and yet I have to tell you sister I have written plainly.

Quote:
Consecrate yourself unto The LORD in Holiness, as Brother Keith Daniel preached in his message "Be Ye Holy" and then with child-like humility - knowing "without Him, ye can do Nothing" and then just trust Him to be able to practice John 16:13 - to hear GOD for oneself - that He will "even show you [personally] things to come." THAT's a Promise to ALL of His Sheep and as Paul wrote - "pray that ye may be able to prophesy. Jesus-Is-God

Amen. If every one of God’s children desired and received by faith the gift of prophecy there would be an equality of speech and understanding in every place. Yet this would do nothing to stop falsehood and deception. Moreover this gift is given according to the will of the Holy Spirit. Seeking is one thing. Receiving is another. Further the gift of prophecy is not a gift to speak to gifted men it is a gift to speak to the ungifted or the unbeliever. It is given to reveal the hearts of men so that they are able to know that God is “among” men.

The gift of prophecy is become a cover for those who would call themselves prophets but realise that to do so would bring them into a different place. In it they would be more accountable both to men and to God. So they prefer to say, “Thus says the Lord” but only as a gift given to them, for the body, and not as a calling of God, in obedience, to be worked out in fear and trembling. Those who know that they have indeed been given as a gift of a prophet to the body cannot so easily speak, “Thus says the Lord”, but would rather speak from their hearts and give the Glory to God. Of these there is no need to call them prophets. By their words they are already known.

Quote:
From all that I've seen since being in the Church - the few true prophets are out-numbered 1000 to 1 -- and whenever GOD does 'send' a true prophet - 700 false ones come right behind them and undoes whatever the true speaks. And that's a fact. Jesus-Is-God

It isn’t possible to undo what a true prophet speaks or else he is already proven false.

Quote:
I believe the Sheep need to be empowered in their personal walks with GOD. To stay humbled before the Face of their GOD and then believe Him for John 16:13 as a very small child would trust a Good Father's word to them and trust that after that - ANY child of GOD can "prophesy" -- can speak the need of the hour and can see & tell "of things to Come." Jesus-Is-God

There are three applications in the New Testament which draws the meaning of prophecy out. Ephesians chapter 4 speaks of God’s gifts to men. These gifts are men and one of these gifts of men is prophets. So as a man can speak, so a prophet given as a gift of a man, can speak also. 1 Corinthians chapter 12 speaks of the Spirit’s gifts to the church, which is the gift of prophecy and is given according to the will of the Spirit to the one who asks and believes by faith without doubting. Finally Romans chapter 12 speaks of gifts of Grace, which is the ability through a life relationship with Christ which all believers have, to prophecy through Grace.

Quote:
Those that "seek prophets" etc - will not be able to stand alone during trials and persecutions, because they've depended on 'human beings' during their Christian life and not His Word and His Spirit of Truth to guide them into All Truth and Even Show Them things to come - because they haven't trusted Him and His Word strongly enough in order to KNOW HIS VOICE - follow HIM Alone and "not follow another". Jesus-Is-God

The ability to stand comes from a life relationship with Christ. Regardless of how a believer may have been led or misled by a prophet or ten thousand prophets their ability to stand will always come from within. Either a person belongs to Christ or else they do not. Persecution strengthens and proves a true believer, whereas it makes the deluded sinner who is no believer at all, flee from Christ name, to a false peace and the company of men. In the end it will lead such deluded men to the mark of the beast.

As for those who truly believe, not only will they find the strength to stand in the day of tribulation, but God Himself will raise up strong prophets, whose strength is not their own name, whose shield is their faith and who’s faithfulness and righteous conduct will be as a fortified wall of bronze to God’s house. The faithful of God’s people will not run after them, but will trust in God Who sent them.

Quote:
I'm waiting on the Two Witnesses - those Two Prophets, that when they come, there will be no doubt of who they are and if what they say is true.

If you want to see the two witnesses of Revelations you will have to be in Jerusalem during the great tribulation where they will be as witnesses to Israel and as a restraint to those who hate God and worship the beast and his image in that city. In the end they will be killed and in the presence of Israel they will be resurrected from the dead. Their prophecies will be to restrain as well as to bear witness of God. You sister do not need them because whilst you are of the household of Israel, you already have Christ and therefore Christ Himself is your witness.

Every blessing to you and your household also

2012/8/1 15:08
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

Brother, Andrew you always touch my spirit with your words. Clearly u have somewhat of a handle on the spiritual man that we need in this hour. Thank you for your inspiring comments.

2012/8/1 18:43Profile

The most singular reality of the Old Testament prophets which established them as true prophets was their authority. Yet it must be evident that this authority was itself established by their speech. Principally, that their words or prophesies came to pass. It is also true that all such prophets in the Old Testament were given honour among the people by and large. At times they were also feared, even as God Himself was feared. All of this however, did not hinge on the man himself, but rather of God choosing him and speaking to him in visions or else in his heart, which visions and thoughts when expressed came to pass in the sight of men. Yet for Israel having God’s prophets was not sufficient. So they asked for a king as well.

When Israel asked Samuel to pray for a king he sought God accordingly. 1 Samuel Chapter 8 through Chapter 12 covers this request for a king as well as how that king would be known and what the consequence of having a king would be, both for Israel as well as the king himself. It also covers Samuel’s attitude in dealing with this asking for a king.

It is easy to understand that once Israel had come under a king they would be thereafter subject to a king’s authority. There are many kings in the earth and they all have authority. Yet only the king of Israel can speak for God Himself, because he is in place of God. Israel rejected God as King over them but Israel did not reject God outright.

One of the strangest parts of this account has to do with Saul receiving a prophetic spirit and taking his place amongst the prophets. Samuel told Saul to take a particular journey and that when he arrived in that place, “the Spirit of the Lord will come upon (you) mightily and you will be changed into another man”. There is a real insight in this verse which points to something of the reality of the prophet. No one would say that today the gift of the Holy Spirit of prophecy causes one to change into another man. As a matter of truth all those who are born again, regardless of any gifts which they have been given, are become a new creature which is a far better thing. Many people have testified how a person was completely changed after they were born again. In revivals of God this phenomena is often more visibly evident. Sometimes a person is saved whilst in a truly wretched condition, and the change is also truly evident. Saul also changed from being simply Saul who was chosen by God to be a prince of Israel, into “one of the prophets.” He didn’t become a new creature, but he did become “another man”. It was necessary to become another man, because he would have the authority of God to be king over Israel. Something which in truth could only belong to God Himself, yet it was given to a man and so that man had to be able to speak for God, as well as be in the place of God before the people.

Today we are all chosen of God yet not all are prophets. All may prophecy, but all are not able to reflect God’s visible will and purposes both in their countenance and their speech. It may well be that all should be able to reflect in their lives the fullness of Christ. And were this to happen I have no doubt that there would be no need for prophets at all. Certainly it would be true that in the kingdom there could be no need for prophets, as Christ Himself would be both Prophet and King. In Saul’s day, as today, God’s people do not trust God, nor desire Him to be King of their lives, nor do they cease from denying Him. Not only this but many of God’s people are ever willing to go after a man rather then follow Christ Himself. As long as we are willing to go after other men in preference to God Himself we will not only cause those men to stumble, but we will have already stumbled ourselves by proving to be faithless. Just as Israel was faithless in their day, so are many saints faithless today. Just as God gave Israel a king, who also becomes a prophet, so today we, who have the True King, demand for prophets. If they speak for us, and tell us what God is thinking we imagine we will be delivered from our own faithlessness. The giving of prophets to the church has to do with dealing with this problem, just as it was of a true prophet under the law. In this regard there is no distinction. The real distinction would have to be that of false prophet and true prophet. The false will flatter and rule over, the true will stir up and serve, so as to cause God’s people to turn to Him and be faith full. Today saints do not ask for a king as this would be too blasphemous, instead they are ever willing to go after men who say “Thus says the Lord”. It is too easy to look for prophets and deny Christ who is both prophet and King; to go after a man, than to deny one’s self and follow Christ. Nevertheless God gives gifts to men. Some He gave as apostles, some prophets, some evangelists and some pastors and teachers. Amongst these gifts of God to men are prophets they are given for the express purpose of causing a growth, which when perfected is manifestly Christ Himself. By which forming God is glorified in heaven and on the earth.

There is a malady of the flesh which when expressed always denies God. There is a sickness in man’s heart which always tends to evil. There is an inclination of the faithless man to seek after other men. There is a vanity in men which always inclines to taking comfort from signs and wonders. There is a madness in men which always denies God. There is a way in men which causes others to stumble. There is an evil in men which rejects God who is Spirit, preferring instead flesh.

Quote:
Keep deception and lies far from me, Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, “Who is the LORD?” Or that I not be in want and steal, And profane the name of my God. Proverbs 30:8-9

Israel asked for a king. In the end their own conduct caused the king to stumble. His fear of the people caused him to disobey God. Saul was not a man after God’s own heart. God in His mercy and for His own name, raised up a man after His own heart, even David the son of Jesse. What God has chosen He can also reject, what He raises up he can also pull down. They that call themselves prophets cannot do as they please. If they do not serve God in obedience to God Himself, how will God overlook it. He will raise up faithful men and through them God will bring to nothing those who imagine in the vanity of their hearts that they serve God, yet in truth, they are serving themselves or else evil and faithless sons.

2012/8/2 14:27
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I believe that God still raises up New Testament prophets in this day and age. In fact, I think that there is a more vital need for them today than ever before.

Unfortunately, I don't know/see/hear many prophets today. Sure, I have heard people who fancied themselves to be prophets. I have heard people who were quite divisive with their presentation of either what they determined to be "truth" or what they supposedly "heard" from the Lord. I have seen people who pretended to have had God possess their tongues, lips and vocal cords and utter words that were more or less the same (often controversial or divisive) opinions that the "prophets" supposedly held.

I have even heard men and women who almost relished "rejection" because they believed to be speaking for the Lord and felt that others were rejecting God rather than the words that they spoke. And, of course, nothing gets some of these "prophets" so riled and upset as to disagree with something that they say or proclaim!

Still, I have heard men where the words that they spoke didn't "fall to the ground" too. Yet, I think that it is important to remember a few things before we accept/reject "prophets" in our midst.

PASSION does not make you a prophet...although prophets will have a passion for the Lord.

CONTROVERSY does not make you a prophet...although the words that prophets speak might be controversial with those who don't recognize the Word of God.

REJECTION does not make you a prophet...although prophets will be rejected by many.

ALPHA PERSONALITY does not make you a prophet...because prophets should reflect the humility of Christ.

TALENT does not make you a prophet...because God doesn't need human talents to do His work if it would rob the Lord of His glory.

BOLDNESS does not make you a prophet...although a prophet must be as "bold as a lion." However, a person can be bold for the wrong reasons and wrong message.

KNOWLEDGE does not make a person a prophet...although prophets will know God's Word. But, the office of a prophet is a gifted call.

RECOGNITION does not make a person a prophet...because men and women can be wrong. However, believers will often recognize truth.

KINDNESS does not make a person a prophet...because they will be rejected by many. However, this world will know that we are Christ's disciples by our LOVE.

SINCERITY does not make you a prophet...although a prophet must be sincere. However, many people can be sincerely wrong.

Still, a prophet must possess many of these qualities. Also, they must reflect the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5) and the description of love (I Corinthians 13). They must be more concerned about pleasing God than man...but they must also be sure that the things that they say are 100% truth from God. And, of course, they must be driven by the honor of God (and not self-honor). They must desire -- above all -- that God will be glorified by words that are completely correct.

This reminds me of a good message that I read from brother Leonard Ravenhill. I hope that it encourages you as much as it encourages me.

WHERE ARE THE ELIJAHS OF GOD?
by Leonard Ravenhill

"...and he prayed again, and the sky poured rain, and the earth produced its fruit." - James 5:18

(It is our privilege to publish these excerpts from Leonard Ravenhill's powerful first book WHY REVIVAL TARRIES. - LDM)

Although the title of this article is also the title of chapter four of the book, we have taken some sections from other chapters as well. (We have also included most of the forward to the book written by Mr. Ravenhill's close friend, the late Dr. A. W. Tozer.) We thank God for how He has used this book in our lives, and in the lives, and in the lives of so many others, to reveal God's burning heart of love towards His Church. We pray that you too, will feel the flames...

Great industrial concerns have in their employ men who are needed only when there is a breakdown somewhere. When something goes wrong with the machinery, these men spring into action to locate and remove the trouble and get the machinery rolling again. For these men a smoothly operating system has no interest. They are specialists concerned with trouble and how to find and correct it.

In the Kingdom of God things are not too different. God has always had His specialists whose chief concern has been the moral breakdown, the decline in the spiritual health of the nation or the Church. Such men were Elijah, Jeremiah, Malachi, and others of their kind who appeared at critical moments in history to reprove, rebuke, and exhort in the name of God and righteousness.

A thousand or ten thousand ordinary priests or pastors or teachers could labor quietly on, almost unnoticed, while the spiritual life of Israel or the Church was normal. But let the people of God go astray from the paths of truth, and immediately the specialist appeared almost out of nowhere. His instinct for trouble brought him to the help of the Lord and of Israel.

Such a man was likely to be drastic, radical, possibly at times violent, and the curious crowd that gathered to watch him work soon branded him as extreme, fanatical, negative.

And in a sense they were right. He was single-minded, severe, fearless, as these were the qualities the circumstances demanded. He shocked some, frightened others, and alienated not a few, but he knew Who had called him and what he was sent to do. His ministry was geared to the emergency, and that fact marked him out as different, a man apart.

To such men as this the Church owes a debt too heavy to pay. The curious thing is that She seldom tries to pay him while he lives, but the next generation builds his sepulcher and writes his biography, as if instinctively and awkwardly to discharge an obligation the previous generation to a large extent ignored.

Such a man as this is not an easy companion. The professional evangelist who leaves the wrought-up meeting as soon as it ends to hurry over to the most expensive restaurant to feast and crack jokes with his sponsors will find this man something of an embarrassment, for he cannot turn off the burden of the Holy Ghost as one would turn off a faucet. He insists upon being a Christian all the time, everywhere; and again, that marks him out as different.

Toward him it is impossible to be neutral. His acquaintances are divided pretty neatly into two classes, those who love him with all admiration, and those who hate him with perfect hatred! -A.W. Tozer (From the forward to WHY REVIVAL TARRIES)

"When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him ,and therefore he opposeth us all he can." -R. Sibbes

To the question, "Where is the Lord God of Elijah?" we answer, "Where He has always been-on the throne!" But where are the Elijahs of God? We know Elijah was "a man of like passions as we are," but alas! we are not men of like prayer as he was. One praying man stands as a majority with God!

Today God is bypassing men - not because they are too ignorant, but because they are too self-sufficient. Brethren, our abilities are our handicaps, and our talents our stumbling blocks!

Out of obscurity, Elijah came on to the Old Testament stage, a full-grown man. Queen Jezebel, that daughter of hell, had routed the priests of God and replaced them with groves to false deities. Darkness covered the land and gross darkness the people, and they were drinking iniquity like water. Every day the land, fouled with heathen temples and idolatrous rites, saw smoke curling from a thousand cruel altars.

Elijah lived with God. He thought about the nation's sin like God; he grieved over sin like God; he spoke against sin like God. He was all passion in his prayers and passionate in his denunciation of evil in the land. He had no smooth preaching. Passion fired his preaching, and his words were on the hearts of men as molten metal on their flesh.

Brethren, if we will do God's work in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessing and the devil's curses. When God opens the windows of heaven to bless us, the devil will open the doors of hell to blast us. God's smile means the devil's frown! Mere preachers may help anybody and hurt nobody; but prophets will stir everybody and madden somebody. The preacher may go with the crowd; the prophet goes against it. A man freed, fired, and filled with God will be branded unpatriotic because he speaks against his nation's sins; unkind because his tongue is a two-edged sword; unbalanced because the weight of preaching opinion is against him. Preachers make pulpits famous; prophets make prisons famous. The preacher will be heralded; the prophet hounded.

Ah! brother preachers, we love the old saints, missionaries, martyrs, reformers: our Luthers, Bunyans, Wesleys, Asburys, etc. We will write their biographies, reverence their memories, frame their epitaphs, and build their monuments. We will do anything except imitate them. We cherish the last drop of their blood, but watch carefully the first drop of our own!

We try to help God out of difficulties. Remember how Abraham tried to do this, and to this day the earth is cursed with his folly because of Ishmael. On the other hand, Elijah made it as difficult as he could for the Lord. He wanted fire, but yet he soaked the sacrifice with water! God loves such holy boldness in our prayers.

"Ask of Me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession." (Psalm 2:8)

Oh, my ministering brethren! Much of our praying is but giving God advice. Our praying is discolored with ambition, either for ourselves or for our denomination. Perish the thought! Our goal must be God alone. It is His honor that is defiled, His blessed Son who is ignored, His laws broken, His name profaned, His book forgotten, His house made a circus of social efforts.

Does God ever need more patience with His people than when they are "praying"? We tell Him what to do and then how to do it. We pass judgments and make appreciations in our prayers. In short, we do everything except pray! No Bible school can teach us this art. What Bible school has "prayer" on its curriculum? The most important thing a man can study is the prayer part of the book. But where is this taught?

Let us strip off the last bandage and declare that many of our presidents and teachers do not pray, shed no tears, know no travail. Can they teach what they do not know?

The man who can get believers to praying would, under God, usher in the greatest revival that the world has ever known. There is no fault in God. He is able. God "is able to do according to the power that worketh in us." God's problem today is not communism, nor yet Romanism, nor liberalism, nor modernism. God's problem is - dead fundamentalism!

"So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew you out of my mouth." - Rev. 3:16

This generation of preachers is responsible for this generation of sinners. At the very doors of our churches are the masses - unwon because they are unreached, unreached because they are unloved. Thank God for all that is being done for missions overseas. Yet it is strangely true that we can get more "apparent" concern for people across the world than for our perishing neighbors across the street! With all our mass-evangelism, souls are won only in hundreds. Let an atom bomb come and they will fall by the millions into hell.

Sin today is both glamorized and popularized, thrown into the ear by radio, thrown into the eye by television, and splashed on popular magazine covers. Churchgoers, sermon-sick and teaching-tired, leave the meeting as they entered it - visionless and passionless! Oh God, give this perishing generation ten thousand John the Baptists!

Just as Moses could not mistake the sight of the burning bush, so a nation could not mistake the sight of a burning man! God meets fire with fire. John the Baptist was a new man with a new message. As a man accused of murder hears the dread cry of the judge, "Guilty!" and pales at it, so the crowd heard John's cry, "Repent!" until it rang down the corridors of their minds, stirred memory, bowed the conscience and brought them terror-stricken to repentance and baptism! After Pentecost, the onslaught of Peter, fresh from his fiery baptism of the Spirit, shook the crowd until as one man they cried out: "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Imagine someone telling these sin-stricken men, "Just sign a card! Attend church regularly! Pay your tithes!" No! A thousand times no!

"Oh, my God! If in our cultivated unbelief and our theological twilight and our spiritual powerlessness, we have grieved and are continuing to grieve Thy Holy Spirit, then in mercy spew us out of Thy mouth! If Thou cannot do something with us and through us, then please God, do something without us! Bypass us, and take up a people who have not yet known Thee!"

http://www.lastdaysministries.org/Mobile/default.aspx?group_id=1000040809&article_id=1000008645

Leonard Ravenhill was a powerful preacher and author of many stirring books, including the classic, "Why Revival Tarries." Formerly one of England's outstanding evangelists, he went to be with the Lord on Thanksgiving Day weekend 1994.

2012/8/2 15:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy