SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Barry McGuire and The Eve of Destruction

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Barry McGuire and The Eve of Destruction

Does anyone remember singer Barry McGuire and his very famous song "Eve of Destruction" (or at least i think that is the title). It is from roughly the 50s or 60s? Would have been back in about the Keith Green years, along with Norman Greenbaum...

Always one of my favorite songs, despite it being spooky, and eerily prophetic (or so i always thought back when i was younger and even moreso with each passing year and day). We are most assuredly on the eve of destruction. Yet his song was not played on any Christian radio (if any existed back then) but rather on what would have been called pop or secular radio.

Anyway, what many people do not know is that Barry McGuire is/was a Christian, and also created at least one CD of Christian songs (one of which i have, called The Best of Barry McGuire). I do not know at this time if he is still alive or not but for some reason while i lay in bed tonight this song came to mind and i had to get up and hunt for the CD which i havent listened to in years to see if the famous song is on it (which it is NOT). Anyone know if it is possible to get a copy of the song today or if he has written any other "prophetic" songs?

EDIT: My apologies to all you youngsters who have NO idea what the blazes i am talking about, lol. This is for us old folks who are over the hill and lived back when there was still some decency in the secular music played over the airwaves.

2012/7/29 6:27Profile

Re: Barry McGuire and The Eve of Destruction

Yes, I'm also old enough to remember this song.

Also, have had problems with my clogged tear ducts swelling because of the same feeling that I think you're expressing.
Grieving very heavily in spirit over this reality that we're headed for TEOTWAWKI.

lyrics:

The eastern world it is explodin', violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill but not for votin'
You don't believe in war, what's that gun you're totin'
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin'

But you tell me over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Don't you understand, what I'm trying to say?
Can't you see the fear that I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed, there's no running away
There'll be none to save with the world in a grave
Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy

But you tell me over and over and over again my friend

Yeah, my blood's so mad, feels like coagulatin'
I'm sittin' here just contemplatin'
I can't twist the truth, it knows no regulation
Handful of Senators don't pass legislation

And marches alone can't bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin'
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin'

And you tell me over and over and over again my friend

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
Ah, you may leave here for four days in space
But when you return it's the same old place

The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead but don't leave a trace
Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace

And you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend

2012/7/29 6:38

Trekker! I'd do about anything for you my brother. I count you as a true remnant brother...and....Did you consider that this is a prophetic warning to you?...maybe to prepare your heart? and I also believe that America will be attacked by massive foreign armies...and we will lose one-hundred million people........soon.

In vision, I have seen the invasion of America:
http://brideinthewilderness.blogspot.com/2012/03/justice-and-glory-americas-time-in.html#comment-form

Barry McGuire is 76, and still stompin'

http://www.barrymcguire.com/

And...Here is the original song sang on TV the very first time....It is a trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExH7h9Lk5HY

2012/7/29 6:49

We are on the Eve of destruction.

I just picked this up from Fox. Romney states that he would back Israel to attack Iran to prevent their nuclear capability.

This sends a queasy feeling to my belly. Obama supports the Muslim cause worldwide,and might even be weakening America deliberately to promote a world-wide caliphate. Russia has a covenant with Iran to defend.

So, if Romney did win the election, and he has a good chance...the logical thing to do would be to destroy American might before he took office..[ January 10, 2013]....China and Russia are practicing joint secret military exercises as we speak. I believe that this will be the invasion force I saw in my vision.

I believe that it will come upon us in one hour, with every American attack base destroyed in the world; every submarine attack vessels, every air base. Then, with us weakened, there will be a battle for America Air Superiority...that will go on and on....This will be pre-invasion.

The foreign air forces will eventually overwhelm our air force [ what is left ]...and then it will be over..they will bomb our defenses and remaining resistance to oblivion, and then invade. The invasion will be to OCCUPY!

I saw the Air war in a vision/trance in @1997..and as I watched it went on and on. It took place primarily off of the coast of Texas, near the path of Katrina. The armies will be massive. I heard a VOICE say: 20 million. Their objective will be to race to American cities, and fortify themselves, and to hold...with overwhelming numbers.

All of our National bases and armories will be bombed by then; and America will fall. Some major cities will be Nuked, for they hold Naval Submarine and Cruiser Nuke capable...but not all. [ San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Virginia, and Florida to name a few.

Much much sorrow, beyond our belief, is on the way....and we will not repent...and we will be rewarded double.

We have murdered 57 million children, and will be repaid two for one...double...in our National Judgment. Over 100 MILLION dead in America..

The good news? As I watched the Air War unfold, I saw an object unfurl itself toward me, in the air, spinning. It was a TREE...and as it came closer I saw it's beauty..It was huge, and it was covered in elegant leaves, perfect in symmetry....and it fell on me.

I knew what it was, and what it meant. It was the tree of healing for all Nations. This is for the Remnant Church, the true Bride, here in this country.

It is the fullness of Christ in His body. There will come a time, when anyone touches that church, they will touch Jesus himself. This will mark the time prophesied of great glory coming, the time of greater works, and holy manifestations of power, like moses, and healings and Provision such as Manna and water from the rock, and mountains moved.

" Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.

For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.

And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising."

It will be the time of great grace, beyond our thoughts,our ideas of what the church might be; It will be the time of POSSESSION, and when we look at one another, we will see Jesus, and the Bride will become the impossible, Pure and without Spot or Blemish.

This, in the midst of agony and sorrow...and we will hear shouts of joy...The city of confusion is broken down: every house is shut up, that no man may come in.

Isaiah 24:." There is a crying for wine in the streets; all joy is darkened, the mirth of the land is gone.

In the city is left desolation, and the gate is smitten with destruction.

When thus it shall be in the midst of the land among the people, there shall be as the shaking of an olive tree, and as the gleaning grapes when the vintage is done.

They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing for the majesty of the Lord, they shall cry aloud from the sea.

Wherefore glorify ye the Lord in the fires...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/29/romney-would-back-israeli-strike-against-iran-senior-adviser-says/#ixzz21zo2unx7

It is interesting that that old Mayan prophecy about December 21, 2012 was given...a long, long time ago. That would be about 3 weeks before Romney takes office.

If he does not get elected, these events will come to pass anyway.

2012/7/29 7:54
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re:

Talking about Prophetic songs, it amazes me how most who sing them are not Christian eg. Johnny Cash with "The man comes around" and Black Sabbath "War pigs". Jesus was right when He said "I tell you the truth, if they keep silent the very stones will cry out!" The last verse of War pig has always made me shudder. "Now in darkness, world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs have the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of judgement, God is calling
On their knees, the war pigs crawling
Begging mercies for their sins
Satan laughing, spreads his wings
OH LORD YEAH!"

2012/7/30 0:26Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Thank you to JIG for supplying those lyrics. Wonderful song.

And thank you Brothertom for the links you provided, i will
check them out.

Brothertom, like you, i believe we are going to be invaded soon. Actually we already have been. Muslim sleeper cells across America. But our most dangerous enemies lie within our own government. And perhaps within our "Christian" churches...Judas' disguised as such. I am afrighted at the number of "Christians" i have met over the years who turned out to be so untrustworthy, as well as heretical. Also many of those calling themselves "Christian" will be voting for cult leader Mitt Romney this fall, because their faith is in man, not God. Rather than going to the polls that night it might be better if all Christians gathered together for a prayer vigil to pray for this country. That is my take on the matter. I am NOT voting.

2012/7/30 4:18Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "Talking about Prophetic songs, it amazes me how most who sing them are not Christian eg. Johnny Cash with "The man comes around" and Black Sabbath "War pigs"."==SteveHale

I take it that Cash song was sung before Johnny became a Christian? I am not familiar with it. Nor am i familiar with any of Black Sabbath's "music". Was that particular song perhaps sung during the Vietnam era? Cuz between Vietnam and about 1990/ Gulf War there really wasn't any war going on, was there? I guess i don't really view the USA as "war pigs".
There are certainly a lot of inner city gangs that wage war against each other and citizens and they could be called war pigs. But as for America itself, i have not been convinced yet that the last round of wars was necessarily all about oil/greed like people say. I think it was about spreading democracy more than anything, taking out dictators and responding to 9/11. How do we have more oil from invading Iraq? Or how has the price gone down because of it?
I could be wrong but i don't at this time believe that we are under judgement for wars but rather for all our immorality as a nation---but even that is probably secondary to the longtime sins of the churches since God judges HIS children first. All the mainline denoms are apostate. They have been preaching the false gospel that Billy Graham taught and promoted in his "crusades" and they have also not been practicing the scriptures in many other ways.

Outside of that, I think when you consider all the fornication and infanticide...and perhaps the tolerance of other sexual sins like homosex, etc...that alone is enough to bring judgement on this nation.

2012/7/30 4:41Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Ok.Brothertom, i went to that link you provided for Barry McGuire's website and was reading thru his bio when i came upon this quote about the song. It says:

"Unlike the cheery tunes of the Christys, "Eve of Destruction" was a grave, prophetic warning of imminent apocalypse. It was a song that expressed the frustrations and fears of young people in the age of the Cold War, Vietnam, and the arms race."

So....living in the shadow of the Vietnam War was what spawned the song apparently. No surprise. And yet, the song is about the EVE of destruction...written decades before 9/11 and all that has now come upon us and still to come. The years of the Vietnam War, well those years were just the EVE. And now we are....here....approaching midnight.

BARRY MCGUIRE HAS THIS TO SAY ABOUT HIS HIT SONG "EVE OF DESTRUCTION" ON HIS WEBSITE!:

....There were some exceptions to the ill treatment "Eve" received. For example, on September 20th, 1965, Barry sang "Eve of Destruction" on NBC's Hullabaloo. But Barry looks back now and thanks God that the reaction to “Eve of Destruction” kept him from further fame and fortune. He believes it would have killed him. “It’s just as well I didn’t get another hit tune,” he says. “I would have gone the way of Jim Morrison, Hendrix, or Joplin. I say ‘Thank God,’ and I do thank God for that, too, because I wouldn’t have survived. I think God did ‘Eve of Destruction.’ It was supernatural. I was just dumbing my way through the day, and it all happened. I came up with some great tunes after ‘Eve of Destruction,’ and none of them happened, and I couldn’t figure out what was going on. But I’m sure glad nothing did, because I would have been history by now.”

I'd say that's a testimony.

2012/7/30 5:00Profile

Where my blue eyed son?..10,000 miles in the mouth of a graveyard

This was sang in 1965; I actually watched McGuire on the Ed Sullivan show that year...it was a gigantic number 1 hit...[ see link below to hear him sing in 1965. ]

This was not written by McGuire, but popularized by him. Many people forget the Cuban Missile Crisis, in October of 1962...where we came one half of one inch from an all out Nuclear Holocaust with the USSR. Americans were terrified, and nearly panicked.

School children were actually drilled on how to protect yourself from these atomic blasts; Get under your desks and put your hands on top of your head!...

Much of the song was about the escalation of Viet-Nam, [ I soldiered there in the USMC; purple heart/combat grunt.] and the hypocrisy of it all, and a protest too.

This was the hey-day of the civil rights movements, and the invasion of the Marxist left using this struggle to prove the evils of capitalism and it's war like mantra that sucked in the cream of youthful manhood to do their bidding.[ there is some truth to this..]

"EVE OF DESTRUCTION" struck a tone through out American Society, and McGuire's manliness, and almost gruff style presented more of a prophetic proclamation, a Jeremiah crying out.

In the end, this song was an anti-war, anti-Establishment protest, exposing America's excesses and penchant to preserve her power and wealth, at the expense of the blood of her own children..[ War and Viet-Nam], and anyone or anything that got in her way.

What made it so popular, is that it struck a cord of Truth, and all of America heard it, and many of the Establishment too. McGuire was a bit player though, a one hit wonder. Bob Dylan was the Prince here..[ Pete Seeger, too]...with literally hundreds of such songs..[ Where have you gone baby-blue?....Masters of War...etc.]....

But none so Apocalyptic as this one song; very impacting. I still say, have you considered this a word to you to prepare? The whole world is trembling today...they know something is up....they just do not have the Answer do they? I AM.....THE WAY...THE TRUTH...and...THE LIFE!

Let us try to get that Word out there...for the dark night is coming.

2012/7/30 5:39
Trekker

northern USA

Re: Where my blue eyed son?..10,000 miles in the mouth of a graveyard

Brothertom, i really think the hand of God was on that song, and even as a child i wondered if it was sent to us from God. Yes, i did watch the youtube video of his performance and found out that a 19 yr old kid wrote the song. Perhaps the 19 yr old was the prophet! Thank you so much for providing all those links, i would never have thought to look on Youtube!

I don't know what you mean when you ask me if i have considered this a word for me to prepare. I have spent my whole Christian life trying to prepare and if i am not prepared now i don't know when or how i will be. I can never be perfect so i have given up trying to be. I am also severely disabled and rarely able to leave the house so what little i can do in terms of evangelism is limited to the internet.

I don't know if the general public knows yet that the end is near or if they are still blind. Just a couple of years ago i wrote a couple of letters to the editor of my local newspaper in which i testified of Jesus Christ and i was savagely attacked by a rabid atheist who wrote in letter in response to mine in which he stated that Jesus Christ was "a dangerous criminal". My background check on this atheist revealed to me what a lying hypocrite he is when i found out that he has a criminal record of a violent nature! And only ONE Christian wrote in to protest that wicked man's awful slander of both me and the Lord. So you see, this is what our society is composed of. They do not want Jesus. Their hearts are total stone. I think all but a very, very few are beyond reach already.

2012/7/30 6:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy