SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Enjoying" sermons?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
richrock

UK

"Enjoying" sermons?

I'm not in any way aiming to be contentious - I am merely asking a question:

What is it about sermons listed here that you enjoy? Is it the teaching? Or even the style in which it is delivered?

For me, I like people like Paul Washer, who say it like it is, John MacArthur for his exposition, and others like Richard Own Roberts for his considered, unhurried style.

It seems almost wrong to say, but the more fiery the preaching, the more I get from it. Feel-good preaching just will not cut it for me - I simply don't feel fed.

2012/7/28 11:47Profile
lindi1208

Re: "Enjoying" sermons?

Hi Rickrock

"It seems almost wrong to say, but the more fiery the preaching, the more I get from it. Feel-good preaching just will not cut it for me - I simply don't feel fed."-Rickrock

Brother you couldn't have said it better! That's the reason I keep coming back here to listen to convicting preaching which is almost scarce in the pulpit here in the UK!

David Wilkerson, Keith Daniel, Art Katz, Leornard Ravenhill, A W Tozer, Milton Green, Denny Kenaston, Paul Washer and many others have preached uncompromising truth inc Zac Poonen, K P Yohannan, Carter Conlon also have preached messages that have truly blessed many on this site! My walk has been transformed by some of the preaching on here! It has been a great blessing in filling that void or hunger for uncompromissed Christianity!

Ultimately my hunger and thirst can only be quenched by the Word of God it is only when I spend time in the Word where I feel strengthened! That is probably why Keith Daniel is one of my favourite preachers because half of his sermons are preached with just one scripture after another! Is there any other preacher on here who does the same who I could also listen to!

Love in Christ

2012/7/28 13:28Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

For me personally, I enjoy sermons where the word of God is clearly taught. I have heard a lot of fiery, snorting, spitting, and stomping sermons, and for some reason I don't seem to get a lot out of it. But when the word is clearly expounded, I can sit and listen all day long. Perhaps there is a little personal preference involved? Now I have heard fiery preaching that was anointed and that God used to speak to me in powerful ways, but for the most part give me clear teaching.

2012/7/28 13:47Profile
mama27

Re:

"Feel-good preaching just will not cut it for me"

Amen! The preachers already mentioned are the ones I return to over and over also...I cannot thank SermonIndex enough for this treasure trove of messages. These are almost non-existent in the pulpits where I live as well....

In thoughts about the coming persecution on different threads here, it occurs to me that perhaps this hard-core preaching would no longer be allowed to be heard online....which is all the more why it needs to be in our hearts....

2012/7/28 13:57Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

@twayneb

Same here!

2012/7/28 14:38Profile

Re:

I find sermons where Christ is exalted are the best.

In my opinion, what many folks deem to be anointed preaching is in fact merely ranting about the western church. You don't to be anointed to do that.

2012/7/28 17:03
richrock

UK

Re:

I have heard stomping, fist thumping sermons, and been put off. Sure, the state of the western church is needed to be heard, lest we fall into a feel good factor, yet I would not listen to one after another. I'm currently working through MacArthur for the expository preaching, plenty of others for the teaching they provide. Many of these lift Christ up (surely the aim of this site - Christ centred revival), either by merely pointing people to Christ, or flat out preaching the gospel.

One more question - has listening to quality, biblical fiery preaching changed your perspective on worship music as well? I recently started listening to Keith Green as he seems to sing preaching, if that makes sense!

2012/7/28 17:22Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I have heard stomping, fist thumping sermons, and been put off. Sure, the state of the western church is needed to be heard, lest we fall into a feel good factor, yet I would not listen to one after another.

Hope you weren't thinking I was against fiery preaching. I remember a wonderful man of God that I was privileged to sit under for many years. He was a barrel shaped, 6'5" German man with black horn rimmed glasses named Otto Busch. He would thump his fist and stamp his foot in unison as he thundered out the word of God. I miss that man. He has been promoted to eternity. But then I have heard those that made up for what they lacked in substance with their fiery antics.

I am for the preaching of the gospel, regardless of the delivery style. I just prefer expository teaching myself.

2012/7/28 18:11Profile

Re:

I'm feeling as though I'm getting burnt out on just Topical messages. I want to hear more about Who GOD our Saviour is. The Pre-incarnate GOD Who became Immanuel, but from the Old Testament, as well. I suppose that's why I love John, because he was the one Apostle that defended Christ's co-equality with the GOD of the Old Testament the most. His Deity. John had to constantly defend His Deity, from eternity past.
Topicals run out after a while. I just feel that unless we exalt Him for Who He really is - that these topicals won't have any long-lasting affect.
Sermons that can focus on Who He is and from the Old Testament leading to the New, seems to be what my spirit is grieving for.
Unless we know or hear more about that He is the very same GOD of the Old Testament, I don't believe our lives will be as affected by Him as they should be.
We seem to have that "Big GOD" in our Old Testament and then a different meeker-milder different GOD in the New Testament named "Jesus".
I want to hear more messages on The One True GOD, from O.T. to the Revelation.
I believe that's the oil in our lamps that will get us through the dark days and show us our standing against any enemy/devils and bring about the appropriate knowledge which produces that awesome Reverence and proper fear of GOD. Looking onto Him - whereas most topicals keep the focus on us.
In His Light we see light and are transformed ... if we love Him for Who He really is and not some man-made lesser image of The Almighty GOD.
I want to focus on Him and go deeper still.

2012/7/29 5:47
Trekker

northern USA

QUOTE: "It seems almost wrong to say, but the more fiery the preaching, the more I get from it. Feel-good preaching just will not cut it for me - I simply don't feel fed."--RICHROCK

Probably because the feel-good preaching is not from the Holy Ghost but merely from man.

What i respond to best is the fiery preaching that is mixed with love, softness, and compassion; for this, even the soft spoken Keith Daniels can at times become fiery when it is called for, and it is always "just right".

2012/7/29 6:32Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy