SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dreams

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lee500

Dreams

I have a question in regards to dreams that I have had. I have dreams but I am not in the dreams. For example: I had a dream about my brother and I wasn't in the dream but I could like read his mind. In the dream he had thoughts of committing sin. I later on asked him had he had those thoughts and he said that he did. I started praying for him because I believe he was in my dream so that I could pray for him. I have also had dreams about other people and I wasn't in the dream. Sometimes I have the same dream twice.

2012/7/28 4:46Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: Dreams

So what is your question?

2012/7/28 7:24Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Dreams

As we are to test the spirits in all things according 1 John, I encourage you to be vigilant because the evil one now knows that the Lord speaks to you in this way. He will try to insert false dreams so be ready test the source of the dream. The prophets warn about those who received lying dreams and visions that are out of their own heart or from deceiving spirits. Stay in secret place and know His voice.

2012/7/28 7:26Profile

Re:

My dear friend/brother in our fellowship, Sean, wrote an article on dreams and looked at the subject from a Biblical perspective.

True they should be tested/discerned & interpreted, and many have false dreams/visions (which they simply made up, that's the lying part), but God gives His people dreams, particularly when they are open to it as a Body, and they are seeking to grow in the Lord, are allowing the Lord to search their heart, and are open to the Holy Spirit.

Obviously there are those who have lying dreams and visions. Their are also those that prophesy falsely. That doesn't negate true prophecy. There are those who manifest false lying signs and wonders, but that doesn't negate real ones. There are false manifestations of the Spirit with false tongues and hype, but that doesn't negate the true Baptism/Filling of the Spirit, true tongues, praying in the Spirit, etc.

That's why the devil sows such tares, is to plant doubt and unbelief and have people "throw out the baby with the bath water." I have seen a lot of falseness, fruitiness, flesh, and deception in these areas in the name of God. I have also seen/experienced the genuine. Discernment is something only the genuine I filling of God's Spirit can give. It is crucial in this hour and in the days ahead till Christ's return.

This is why Prophets are needed so desperately to be cultivated in the Body. This is why the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the Body is so needed in our midst. Otherwise, "everyone does what is right in his own eyes" and lives/discerns merely by the dictates of the flesh and the carnal mind of mere logical conclusions. That's old covenant living at best. We are to be a people of the Spirit. That's what is so great about the New Covenant and the Day of Pentacost. We still are called to "test all things/spirits to see if they are of God" for sure, but not rule all as false because we are uncomfortable with any fruit because we have seen so much false.

The Lord graciously gives me dreams all the time. He does it a lot in our Body. It usually is a warning from the Lord, an encouragement, or shining light on an area that we have been spiritually blind to. It's happened MANY times. It's beautiful. God gave dreams to Joseph, Daniel, Jacob, Pharoah, Gideon (at least to his enemies?) Jeremiah, Job (at least he mentions dreams from heaven), mentioned in Joel ("I will pour my Spirit on all people, your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will DREAM DREAMS, ......."), Peter had a vision ("don't call anything unclean the Lord has made clean..."), Agabus predicted a famine by the Spirit for the church in Acts, etc.

Again, the Spirit of God never contradicts the award of God, but confirms it, but just reading, memorizing, and following thenBible to the best of your ability isn't ALL the fullness of what the Lord intended new covenant living to be. God puts His Spirit in us and is with us, and manifests gifts in our Body fellowships as He sees fit. This is all New Covenant Kingdom Living. This is/was the promise that the OT prophets saw afar off (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, etc.).

Check out this article:
http://preachingjesus.wordpress.com/2012/01/17/maybe-it-was-bad-pizza/

Blessings in Him,
Jeff

2012/7/28 11:23
Lee500

Re:

thank you Jeremy,

I am still in the learning process of dreams. The one that I had about my brother was true, he had been drinking and having negative thoughts. I assumed it was a dream that can had giving me to pray for my brother. I also had a dream about my friend that I haven't seen in over two years. In this dream he came to me in distress. I had this dream a few times. I also felt that this dream was giving to me by God to pray for my ex-friend. Later on someone told me that my ex-friend was using drugs and living a very fast life.

2012/7/28 17:37Profile
Lee500

Re:

Thank you Jeff for all the insightful information. Thank you for taking out the time to respond to my post.

I am still in the learning process of dreams. The one that I had about my brother was true, he had been drinking and having negative thoughts. I assumed it was a dream that can had giving me to pray for my brother. I also had a dream about my friend that I haven't seen in over two years. In this dream he came to me in distress. I had this dream a few times. I also felt that this dream was giving to me by God to pray for my ex-friend. Later on someone told me that my ex-friend was using drugs and living a very fast life.

2012/7/28 17:39Profile
Lee500

Re:

I just wanted to know, why do I have dreams that I'm not in and why do I have the same dream more than once?

2012/7/28 17:41Profile
learjet

Re:

Hi Lee,

Those are great examples of prophetic dreams, if you get a chance read what Sean Scott wrote in the link above it's an excellent resource.

Additionally, if you read 1 Samuel 3 you will see that Samuel heard the voice of the Lord twice, and after Eli told him "Speak, Lord your servant is listening" he heard the Lord the 3rd time.

Here's a scripture to Job that explains the recurring voice of the Lord as well:

"For God speaks once, yea twice, yet man perceives it not." ~Job 33:14

You are in a good place since you are recognizing that this is in fact the Lords voice.

Much peace!

2012/7/28 20:12Profile

Re: Your Dreams!

Quote:
I just wanted to know, why do I have dreams that I'm not in and why do I have the same dream more than once? Lee

If a dream is prophetic then it must in the first instance be true. Otherwise it is simply a product of the imagination. Given this qualifying condition it must follow that the dream can only hold something which is real. Your dreams did not include you because they were not about you. I think that when we dream prophetic dreams which do include ourselves then the dream must also be truly about ourselves as well. Your dreams have been about others. Were you with your brother when he had the thoughts? Or were you with your ex-friend when he stumbled? If you had been in the dream and not in time as well then the dream would not have been prophetic at all. Prophetic must always be measured in truth. It can never be imagination.

In ordinary dreams we imagine many things most of which is a by product of fear or else reflects something of our human condition. We are always in our own dreams either actively or else passively, but we are always there.

Having the dream twice may be God's kindness in helping you to have confidence in the dreams given. It may also be a reflection that you failed to act in obedience to the dream because you did not really recognise it as having been given by God at the first time of dreaming. Either way you appear to be confident that the dreams were given by God.

Some other posters have cautioned against believing your dreams or else testing them. Just as we would test a prophecy so I think we should test a prophetic dream as well. A prophecy is not harmed by being tested if it is true. Neither can a prophetic dream be lost by being tested in prayer. This would be especially true if you had dreams which gave an implicit direction rather than insight.

2012/7/28 20:45

Re:

Yeah, I don't sit around "fretting" about the enemy giving me false dreams. I'm God's child. He has me as I sleep. Just as I "am His sheep and know HiS voice and won't go to another". You see, lying dreams, lying visions, & lying prophesies come from liars who are living a lie. They imagine things from their own flesh. A true NT Holy-Spirit filled believer needs to test all things, but not sit around fretting that the devil can confuse us in our dreams.

I gave you multiple examples from scripture where God spoke to His people in dreams. Give me one example where the devil tricked a real believer with a false dream. There are none. Not that we shouldn't be watchful and test all things, but the Lord also brings interpretation which clarifies. Sometimes you pray for it and the Lord gives it. Sometimes another true believer gifted with prophetic interpretation in the Body can give it to you by the Spirit.

Sometimes the Lord shows you about someone else to pray for them. Sometimes YOU ARE that other person & the Lord is showing you something about yourself that needs growth or correction because we see it easier in others, while blond to it in ourselves.

2012/7/28 21:44

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy