SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How many Gospels?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

How many Gospels?

The Many Gospels of the Bible
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

<< Article Index |
Share/Bookmark
| Print This Post

By Justin Johnson

Although every man at any time is saved by the grace of God through faith, the content of faith differs from one dispensation to the next. That is, the message that is offered and believed for righteousness and salvation varies according to God’s progressive revelation.

These different gospels can be understood by a careful study of Scripture making sure to rightly divide according to what had been revealed (2 Tim 2:15).

Noah and righteousness

In Genesis, Noah was counted righteous because of his obedience to God and was saved through the building of the ark in a world without rain. His faith and obedience was not based upon the knowledge of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, but in the living God and his promise of a flood.
“By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.” – Hebrews 11:7
While Peter explains that Noah’s salvation was a figure of the salvation found in the resurrection of Christ, there is no mention of Noah’s understanding of this truth. Peter reveals that no prophet understood such a salvation through Christ until after his death:
“Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.” – 1 Peter 1:11-12

Abraham and righteousness

It cannot be ignored that Abraham was counted righteous because of his faith in God’s word for a mighty nation, not the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (Genesis 15:6). Although we now know that Abraham could be justified based upon the then-future propitiatory work of Christ, the message that counted him faithful was the promise of a mighty nation.

As Paul explains, Abraham was ‘strong in faith’ (Romans 4:20).
“And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. “ – Romans 4:21
The specific promise that God made to Abraham was not that a messiah would die for his sins, but that his wife would produce a son although she was barren and beyond her age.
“Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.” – Romans 4:18

Moses and righteousness

While Moses was able to have personal communion and conversation with God, he wrote about a righteousness gained from the obedience of faith in the law.
“And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.” – Deuteronomy 6:25
Paul expounds upon the understanding of Moses when he quotes Leviticus 18:5:
“For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.” – Romans 10:5
This righteousness and the faith that Moses and his followers had of God’s law was not faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (Romans 10:2-9).

John the Baptist and righteousness

After a four century silence in God’s plan with Israel, John the Baptist appears on the scene preaching the ‘baptism of repentance for the remission of sins’ (Mark 1:4).

The message he taught was the soon coming of the promised kingdom to Israel and the Messiah. Those who believed his message accepted his baptism, and those who were unfaithful to God’s promises rejected his testimony of faith.
“But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?” – Matt 3:7
The result of accepting John’s baptism was a remission of sins and righteousness by the obedience of faith. Jesus demonstrated this by taking part in the baptism, although John declared that he didn’t need it:
“But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. “ – Matt 3:14-15

Jesus and righteousness

During his earthly ministry Jesus also taught the ‘gospel of the kingdom’ as John did:
“Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel”
However, Jesus also taught the righteousness of the new covenant law.
“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.” – Matthew 5:17

“For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” –Matthew 5:20 Although this standard of righteousness seemed to be stringent, there were abundant rewards for those who ‘endured to the end’ (Matt 10:22).

“But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” – Matthew 6:33

It should be noted that even though Jesus taught the law, coming kingdom, and even his identity as the son of God, belief in his atoning death and resurrection was not required for righteousness or salvation during his earthly ministry.

In fact, when he did try to explain that he had to die to his disciples, they were ignorant of the matter:
“And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. “ – Luke 18:34

The Disciples and the New Covenant righteousness

After the institution of the New Covenant and empowerment by the Holy Ghost the disciples Peter and John wrote about a faith in Jesus as the Messiah and his resurrection.

Peter explains that remaining faithful to God and his Son through the immediate trials of tribulation would secure salvation and righteousness for believers in the end:
“That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: … Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.” – 1 Peter 1:7,9
The content of the faith that they had to believe was preached by Peter at his Pentecostal debut:
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.” – Acts 2:36
John also writes that their faith rested in the message that Jesus was indeed the son of God, the promised Messiah.
“But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. “ – Jon 20:31

“Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.” – 1 John 5:1

“He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. “ – 1 John 5:12

“If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.” – 1 John 2:29

This message of faith in the name of Jesus as Christ and Messiah was essential to entering the kingdom and achieving the righteousness as promised by God.

Conclusion

Listed here is a simple summary of different gospels found in the Bible, yet is not exhaustive. It does not include the glorious gospel of grace imputed through Jesus Christ revealed to Paul. However, it should be evident that there were separate messages offered for righteousness and salvation as God’s word was progressively revealed.

It is only when we come to God’s word as skilled workman ‘rightly dividing the word of truth’ that we can understand the actions of the just down through history as they seek the righteousness of God by faith. end;

Which Gospel is the final Gospel? Which one proves the fulfillment of New Birth in Christ Jesus Making God "Our Father"?

Colossians 1:25 Whereof <hos> I <ego> am made <ginomai> a minister <diakonos>, according to <kata> the dispensation <oikonomia> of God <theos> which <ho> is given <didomi> to me <moi> for <eis> you <humas>, to fulfil <pleroo> the word <logos> of God <theos>;

Strong's Greek Dictionary
4137. pleroo-fulfil
Search for G4137 in KJVSL
plhrow pleroo play-ro'-o
from 4134; to make replete, i.e. (literally) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (figuratively) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify (or coincide with a prediction), etc.:--accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfil, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

See Greek 4134

In Christ: Phillip

2012/7/23 4:38Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: How many Gospels?

"Which Gospel is the final Gospel? Which one proves the fulfillment of New Birth in Christ Jesus Making God "Our Father"?"

The Gospel is the good news...there has never been different gospels. Even Satan knew who Christ was. Yet knowing a fact does not save a person. Knowing Christ died on the cross and was then resurrected does not save anyone. Knowing His death and knowing His resurrected Life saves the person. The good news is that those who learn from Him learn how to escape the corruption of this world. The good news is that we have a heavenly promise of a resurrected life. This heavenly hope has been shared with all the saints beginning with Abel.

These doctrines of men which you post lead to religion that has always existed. Always searching the Scripture but never understanding. They create a system where men can know their saved. If you do this or if you know these facts then you are saved. But what do the Scriptures say?

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" [fn] (that is, the word of faith which we preach):

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." [fn]

Why does Paul use the OT to point to the way of salvation?

2012/7/23 6:55Profile
Blayne

Re:

Hi! 'Rookie'

Ummm, I thought I'd thrown in an additional comment into the mix after reading your own.

I've come to learn that the Christian experience is one of development and maturity. This is because Christians are invited to enter a divinely provided metamorphosis; similar to that of a caterpillar to a butterfly. It's not for nothing that the origin of the word "new creature" implies a 'new species' ... a species never seen before on the face of the earth until the appearance of Jesus, (the FirstBorn of the New Creation).

The caterpillar lives a rudimentary life affixed to the earth and is trained in all things and disciplines of its earthly existence.
By a process of development and metamorphosis, the caterpillar's very existence and being is changed.
It becomes a "new creature", a new "species" ... a glorious butterfly.

There are many caterpillar-Christians who haven't yet fully comprehended this marvelous message of the gospel. Therefore they remain unable to cooperate with God's desire for them to enter into the process of metamorphosis and truly have a share in the "newness of life".

Yes, their way of life and behavior becomes changed. But this is not indicative of metamorphosis. It merely exhibits the fact that some caterpillars were convinced to begin crawling up the vine in the cool of the morning instead of the under the scorching sun at noon. Certainly not knowledge about the possibility of developing into a "new creature".

It shouldn't surprise us to see that every unsaved larvae and even the saved caterpillar-Christian will always be eager to learn new things about his earthly environment and how to better secure it's place in it. Especially, their learning how to avoid the painful wrath which past mistakes may have brought and to learn the discipline to safely hide from the prey that nearly swallowed them up only yesterday.

Regardless, there are many Christians who remain as caterpillars; confined to the earth without having grasped the full meaning of becoming "children of the resurrection". Instead, the divine provision of metamorphosis remains dormant and ineffectual to them; their existence has not been "changed"; they have not developed into a "new creature" as God has intended for them.

Anyways, 'Rookie', what I'm meaning to get across to you is that, when we first hear the Gospel, we enter into an embryonic stage; just like the child being formed in the womb. We're being prepared to be changed from the "image" of God and into His "likeness". We are learning about the Author and Perfecter of our faith in preparation for our impending departure from the warmth of the womb to enjoy a new birth as a new creature.

So, at the beginnings of our Christian journey, it's acceptable and normal for some of us to have the posture of being 'literalists' with Scripture. There's nothing wrong with that because it's the norm during the time of our developing in the cocoon. During the development phase, some will enter into childish debates about Scripture and engage in every sort of triviality about Christian ideas and things. As Paul said, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things".

Yes, there will always be some among us who insist to remain in the cocoon; who prefer the warmth of the womb. For the most part, this isn't something which anyone should hurry to blame or accuse them about. It's merely the result of their low expectations concerning the Gospel. Paul reminds us about how this happens: "How can they hear without someone preaching to them?".

Everyday we can find these caterpillars captivated by the same routine ... crawling up an' down the vine day-after-day an' happily chattin' among themselves about the weather or some other triviality; or arguing about the precise temperature and even speculating about rumors they've heard which indicate a terrible winter is about to arrive.

But the idea of an entirely new form of life (not just a new way of living) hardly entered their mind. And, even when they occasionally stumbled into a butterfly which had momentarily rested on their vine, they failed to recognize it for what it was.

Regardless of all the caterpillar chatter about having a "heavenly citizenship", they failed to comprehend that they are ill-equipped to migrate into a life in the 'air'; the spiritual world. Neither do they possess the necessary wings to elevate themselves above the vines of the earth to assume their rightful position "in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus".

So, now I come full circle with you.
I wanted to first explain my perspective before agreeing with your saying: "These doctrines of men which you post lead to religion that has always existed. Always searching the Scripture but never understanding. They create a system where men can know their saved. If you do this or if you know these facts then you are saved".

2012/7/23 9:33Profile
arkp

Re: "heavenly citizenship"

Hello Blayne, Rookie, and Christinyou.

Blayne, i do not particulary like butterfly's nor do i find them attractive. Your scientific exposition in terms of caterpillars, and there metamorphosis what to some may be a beautiful butterfly was well written. However, if i was sentenced to death, for my faith, for without faith it is impossible to please God. I would not pray to a caterpillar or a butterfly, honestly.

I do not particulary like Paul, nor do i place him on a pedalstole. Please, understand what i may be trying to convey to you, in the Spirit. He was just a man, like any other man who encoutered the most Holy, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, on the road to damascus. He was merely a vessel used by God. God and his most Holy Spirit speaking through him, utilizing his ingenuity to bring about a massave teaching and deliverance to the Corinthians, to the Galatians, to the Chuch of Ephesis, to the Philippians, to the Colossians, and to the Thessalonians. May he use us all to the magnitude in which he used Paul who was once called Saul. It is only when we have an encouter with him, that he changes our name.

I know whos i am, and the teaching i have received will forever echo till the day of eternity when we are face to face and in our most glorious bodies. May he never stop rebuking me, as I continue to hear his voice.

The gifts of God are irrevocable. You will know when God is prompting you to speak, because you will feel an inquenchable fire in your most inner being. Then and only then will you know that it is not of you, but HIM.

May he rebuke me, if i have not spoken in his Spirit and brough about edification to his body of believers.

Now, going back to the new creation, or the new life in Christ Jesus are you referring to the New Life in Sarcifical Love?

Gal: 6:11 What large letters i have written to you with my own hand!

Gal: 6:12 As many as desire to make a good showing in the flesh, these would compel you to be circumcised, only that they may not suffer persectution for the cross of Christ.

Gal: 6:13 For not even those who are circumcised keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh.

The New Exultation of the New Life

Gal: 6:14 But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Gal: 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a NEW CREATION.

Gal: 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Isreal of God.

Gal: 6:17 From now on let no one trouble me, for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Gal: 6:18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

The Spirit of God speaking through Paul and through Paul bringing about revelation knowledge in the Sprit which transforms and transends a shekinal glory, that bears witness with your Spirit that, we are closer to HIM..

2012/7/23 19:35Profile
Myst

Re: How many Gospels?

It seems most likely there has only been one Gospel throughout human history and one way to enter into the benefits of that Gospel. With the creation of man, God provided the blessing of all being good in the earth.

After the fall of man, by providing a then present and future blood sacrifice, man would enter into His blessings.

The blessed life was always a good environment, divine provision, health, dominion, and most importantly communion with our Creator and Father. We see this in the Garden, Noah's new world, Adam, the blessings in the promised land. But we think that Gospel somehow changed in the age of the New Covenant. It did not, as we see the same promised millenial blessings.

Entrance into that covenant has always been through repentance and faith. We have changed that into "asking Jesus into our heart" or some other cliche. Looking at the ministry of Jesus, we see clearly that the two elements of repentance and faith were always fulfilled, as in the examples to follow.

Repentance is not always clearly evident, but if we understand true repentance, metanoia, change of mind, then we realize an investment of faith in Christ is necessarily changing our frame of reference turning from the earthly and turning to the spiritual.

Citing a few instances where Christ clearly pronounced a person would enter the kingdom of heaven, was forgiven, or made whole (sozo, the Greek root word from which derives various words for salvation), we see:

Luke's account of Zacchaeus announcing he would repay those he cheated, of whom Jesus prounced, "This day is salvation come to this house." In a rare instance, belief per se is not mentioned, while repentance is clearly evident.

The thief on the cross merely had faith to ask Christ to remember him when He entered His kingdom. Jesus said He would be with Him.

Of the four friends with the young man suffering from palsy, while they came only trustinf Jesus for the healing, Jesus first announced that their sins were forgiven. How did Jesus make that leap, forgiving them without that even being on their mind? Like Zachaeus, the thief, and others, they simply trusted their Creator for SOMETHING. The specifics did not matter, but the faith and repentance did.

Of the woman with the issue of blood, who broke the law to touch Jesus' tallit, Jesus told her that her faith had made her whole [sozo], and her sin was not put on her account.

Jesus told the one leper who returned to thank and glorify Him for healing him, that while the nine others were only healed, his faith had made him whole [sozo].

Of the publican praying, grieving over his sinfulness, while the proud Pharisee was thanking God he was not like the publican, Jesus said it was the penitant publican who went home justified, and not the morally clean Pharisee.

Hebrews 11 tells of many differing acts of faith by which they were brought into the family of God by faith.

The Gospel in its simplest form is the blessings of God in providing for our health, general well being, and relationship to our Creator Father. And access being gained by some form, any form, of trust in Him.

If we remember this as we counsel those seeking Him, it makes it very simple. Encourage them to trust Him for any need they have. That faith, that turning to Him, driven by whatever desperate desire, is their exercise of true and godly faith.

Sadly, when someone wants to trust our Savior for something, we divert them, fearing a lack of an answer will crush their faith. But we crush their faith by warn them God's answer may be no. But:

2 Cor 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are yes, and in Him Amen.

Or we make them doubt that He will give what He has clearly promised. How sad that we minister doubt that destroys faith. It is us who do notbelieve. If we were a believing people, we would change our world in a generation.

Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, on and on, they received from our Father ... and by our covenant we are heirs to BETTER blessings.

Hebrews 8:6 But now He (Jesus) has obtained a more excellent ministry, by so much He is also the Mediator of a better covenant, which was built upon better promises.

But where are they? Through our doubt, our generation will simply inherit no more than the wind.

Proverbs 11:29 He who troubles his own house shall inherit the wind

2012/7/24 3:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy