SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Part 2) For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rookie

Part 2) For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil

Continuing on in our discussion...

Phillip wrote:

"That he, "Melchizedec" is a forshadowing of our Heavenly High Priest, Jesus Christ..."

Hbr 7:3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually.

In the above verse, Scripture state that this man Melchizedec "remains a priest continually."

Hbr 7:7 Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better.

Hbr 7:8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he [receives them], of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

In the above Scripture, it states that "the lesser" (who is Abraham) "is blessed by the better." The "better" is Melchizedec. Then we have this testimony about Melchizedec...

"Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he {receives them}, of whom it is witnessed the he lives."

So the writer of Hebrews states that Melchizedec remains a priest continually, and that the "he lives."

I have two questions for you....

According to the above Scripture, is Melchizedec still alive?

Secondly, would is be correct to say that one who is in Christ could also say "I am in the Holy One?"

2012/7/18 18:05Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Part 2) For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the

Quote: """According to the above Scripture, is Melchizedec still alive?

Secondly, would is be correct to say that one who is in Christ could also say "I am in the Holy One?" """

No Melchizedec is not alive but His Priesthood is. The proof is that Jesus Christ is after the order of Melchizedec.

Yes, if the Holy One is the One and only begotten Son of God.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/7/19 0:32Profile
Blayne

Re:

Hi! 'ChristInYou'

I guess I could cut-n'-paste the hightlights of this Commentary, but perhaps it would be easier for you to read it first-hand for yourself.
I'm not suggesting that the author of the Commentary is the all-in-all expert 'er anything. But he does offer some rather unique aspects/insights.
The Link is direct to Hebrews Chapter 7, but feel free to browse whatever other Chapters you wish. Unfortunately, I'm waiting for Hebrews Chapters 11 thru 14 to be translated from it's original Dutch language so they can be published to the Site as well.

http://www.tolovejesus.com/index.php/full-gospel-books/letter-to-the-hebrews-commentary/chapter-7

2012/7/19 8:09Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Hi Blayne

Good read and with a few exceptions of off scriptural truth, it agrees with most of the other commentaries I have studied and also with the truth I have gleened from the Word; Abbott Barnes Calvin Clarke FBN Gaebelein Geneva Gill JFB MHWBC PNTC Poole RWP Scofield TSK Wesley

That Melchizedec is not Jesus Christ in the flesh, but Jesus Christ in the flesh has the same Priesthood as Melchizedec, completely outside of the Aaronic Levitical pristhood. But Jesus as our King and High Priest aligns His Priesthood, forever, with Melchizedec who was King and Priest also and not of the Levitical Priesthood.

2012/7/19 21:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Blayne offered a commentary on Chapter 7, in which this statement is found...

"So, Melchizedek most probably will have been a God-fearing king in the midst of a heathen country, who served the true God and brought sacrifices to Him, in order to expiate the sins of this people."

In Chapter 7 of Hebrews we find that there are distinct differences between "order of Melchizedek" and the "order of Aaron". Based on the Scripture found in Chapter 7, according to the statement highlighted above...

Are the "sacrifices" offered by Melchizedek according to the "order of Melchizedek" or according to the "order of Aaron"?

2012/7/20 6:51Profile
rookie

Re:

Blayne offered a commentary on Chapter 7, in which this statement is found...

"So, Melchizedek most probably will have been a God-fearing king in the midst of a heathen country, who served the true God and brought sacrifices to Him, in order to expiate the sins of this people."

The Scriptures state "according to the "order of Aaron"...

Hbr 10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, [and] not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.

Hbr 10:2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins.

Hbr 10:3 But in those [sacrifices there is] a reminder of sins every year.

Hbr 10:4 For [it is] not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins.

We find this precept. The "sacrifices" offered to God, "the blood of bulls and goats could" not "take away sins." The purpose of the "sacrifice" was a "reminder of sins."

Paul writes this of the Law of Moses...

2Cr 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written [and] engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which [glory] was passing away,

2Cr 3:8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

2Cr 3:9 For if the ministry of condemnation [had] glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

The "ministry of death", the "ministry of condemnation" was instituted to be a "reminder of sins."

So when the commentator states that Melchizedec "brought sacrifices to Him, in order to expiate the sins of this people", is the purpose of these "sacrifices" meant to be a "reminder of sins."?

2012/7/21 12:34Profile
rookie

Re:

In the commentary offered by Blayne we have this statement...

"The Old Covenant and the law of the Sinai, which was given to the unjust (1 Tim 1:9 NIV), had as a purpose to make man become a righteous person, but the New Covenant has as a purpose to make man become perfect. The law of the Old Covenant and the priesthood connected to it, was good (according to Psalm 19:8, where it says: “the precepts of the Lord are right”) in order to make a man righteous."

Paul teaches this about the Law of Sinai...

Gal 2:21 "I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness [comes] through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Therefore righteousness that pleases God does not come to those who follow the law written on stones.

Paul teaches....

Phl 3:8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Phl 3:9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which [is] from the law, but that which [is] through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

So we know from the Scriptures that self-righteousness is not pleasing to God. We know that those who strive as Paul did prior to God speaking to him, live according to the fleshly commandment. This outcome is the fruit of the "order of Aaron".

Hbr 10:5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: "Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me.
Hbr 10:6 In burnt offerings and [sacrifices] for sin You had no pleasure.

God never desired the burnt offering prescribed in the "order of Aaron." So then, what is the nature of the sacrifice offered "according to the order of Melchizedec"?

2012/7/22 12:17Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Hi Jeff, you don't need my approval for anything. I am just acknowledging agreement with your post. Amen

2012/7/22 16:08Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote: """God never desired the burnt offering prescribed in the "order of Aaron." So then, what is the nature of the sacrifice offered "according to the order of Melchizedec"?"""

The eternal offering of the Shed Blood of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Revelation 5:12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
Revelation 5:6
Stood a Lamb - Christ, so called because he was a sacrificial offering; αρνιον signifies a little or delicate lamb.

As it had been slain - As if now in the act of being offered. This is very remarkable; so important is the sacrificial offering of Christ in the sight of God that he is still represented as being in the very act of pouring out his blood for the offenses of man. This gives great advantage to faith: when any soul comes to the throne of grace, he finds a sacrifice there provided for him to offer to God. Thus all succeeding generations find they have the continual sacrifice ready, and the newly-shed blood to offer. end;

This being the eternal offering of Christ our eternal Priest, after the order of Melchizedec. Our eternal living Word of whose incorruptable Seed we are born again into the eternal offspring of the family of God our Father.

2012/7/22 16:08Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy