SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Sayings of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

In the previous post I wrote about Peter and now would like to continue but in a different vein.

Jesus' appearance in the world came at a time when the Jewish people had returned from captivity but had imbibed some of their mindset, in particular the males' attitudes towards females. The prevailing philosophy among the Jewish leaders was "Thank God He did not make me a woman!" One does not see this attitude coming from God in the OT law at all - in fact there were many laws that worked to protect women. Even in the prophets there was a time when God got really harsh with the husbands who treated their wives badly. But Jesus demonstrated a completely different attitude towards females. He treated them like people. Peter had a ringside view of this attitude at work.

Consider these incidents:
1. Jesus was born to a virgin - but an angel appeared to her to announce God's wish in this matter but it was dependent upon her approval. (God knew she would approve.)

2. Women brought their children to Jesus to bless them. The disciples disapproved but Jesus rebuked them.

3. The woman who anointed Jesus feet...and this story will be told everywhere...remember?

4. Jesus appeared to Mary and told her to go tell the disciples..

5. And there were women who followed Him.

Anyhow...

Now Pentecost has come and gone, the disciples where empowered by the Holy Spirit. In Acts we see how the women were not afraid of Peter but they looked to him for assistance after their beloved Dorcas had died. He took to heart their concern, prayed over her and resurrected her. This attitude hardly smacks of egotism, but a servant's heart at work.

Lots of lessons to be learned by studying the change that occurred in the life of Peter. I love to study this change - it was a complete metamorphosis from a man who lived and reasoned with logic to one who became a servant - all based on his love for the LORD.

Amazing what love for Jesus will do to a person.

2013/4/26 10:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

When the Lord Jesus changes a life, He changes a life.

We should love the Lord with all our heart, and it should show.

God bless.

2013/4/26 11:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

You are right, Enid. It will show. When the evidence is lacking it means the experience of walking with the Lord is non-existent.

It is like someone has said: "if you would be arrested for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

2013/4/26 20:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John 21:18-19

John 21:18-19 NASB

18 “Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to gird yourself and walk wherever you wished; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will gird you, and bring you where you do not wish to go.”

19 Now this He said, signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me!”

COMMENT:

Jesus had just finished asking Peter three times whether he loved him. Then in conclusion Jesus told what he can expect to happen in the future to him. I find this at the least encouraging, profound.

Jesus acknowledges Peter ability to fend for himself - quite well. Then he says the day will come after you are old that others will carry you to a place you do not want to go, but in any case you follow me.

Following Jesus does not mean life will be easy, in fact, it will be very difficult. This is what Jesus was telling Peter: life will become difficult for you, but you follow me anyways. Yes, Jesus does lead us into difficulties.

When life becomes difficult the devil will use this to challenge our love for the LORD Jesus. The outcome of this test ministers to observers in a way not much else can. AND to us as well.

If Peter and the other disciples were promised a life of difficulty in following him, we can expect no less. When these difficulties come, we must be discerning whether they are the result of bad decisions made by us or are they the result of obeying the LORD.

2013/4/29 9:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John 21:20-23

John 21:20-23 NASB

20 Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?”

21 So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, “Lord, and what about this man?”

22 Jesus said to him, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!”

23 Therefore this saying went out among the brethren that that disciple would not die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but only, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?”

COMMENT:

There are very few scriptures that come back to teach me, instructing me, telling me what to do as Jesus' reply to Peter, "what is that to you, follow Me!"

Jesus had just gotten done telling Peter what will happen to him in the future. After it settled into his mind, he turned and inquired about John's future, hence Jesus' reply.

There are many people out there who appear to have a wonderful testimony; are very intelligent, great expositors but the doctrine they promote is flawed - how does one deal with it? Or, how about those that do not appear to be flawed?

Jesus' saying, "Follow me" answers the question for me. Follow him - Jesus. If we do so we will not get off-track but if we do, He will work to get us back on. And who knows? perhaps this person has gotten off track and He is working with him/her, but in any case we do not allow others' to displace the clear teaching of the WORD. If we allow others interpretation to supersede the WORD we are guilty of idolatry. Questions will remain, but we must learn to leave it with God - he is the final judge and our wishes cannot and will not change his mind. He is always just. What we see may not be what is and what is we may never get to see.

In my opinion we are seeing today a proliferation of bold deception in modern Christianity. I suspect what we are seeing are mere fruits of what has been hidden for many years and now are being exposed. People are falling for this hook line and sinker which proves once again that the cross is not an integral part of many people's faith.

Regardless of prevailing philosophies, Jesus still tells us moderns, "Follow Me!" This is the gist of the entire book of John.

Unless the Holy Spirit would lead otherwise this concludes my study of the book of John. It has been an insightful journey and I hope others have been inspired to undertake a similar study. I am coming away with a renewed sense of the divinity of Jesus, the authority of Jesus' teachings. I love this - it enhances my worship of the man Jesus and his Father.

God bless. Even so come LORD Jesus. Amen!

2013/4/30 17:02Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: John 21:20-23

I know this is very belated, but I just wanted to say this was a most worthwhile thread.

It both fed and made you think about the sayings of Jesus.

As He has said, heaven and earth will pass away, but not His words.

Thank you and God bless.

2013/5/14 11:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Enid,

I appreciate your nice, encouraging words.

You know what? After all this time, when I look at a portion again, new inspiration occurs. That is the beauty of the Scriptures. No other literature has this power to inspire and challenge. Yes, The Word is just wonderful.

God bless.

ginnyrose

2013/5/14 21:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy