· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Sayings of Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

The Sayings of Jesus

Last Sunday our pastor was preaching out of Romans and in the course of his sermon he read John 12:47-. As he read this scripture I was gripped. I have read this many times before but it never before grabbed me like it did then.

John 12:47-50: NASB

47“If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.

48“He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

49“For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.

50“I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”

What really gripped me was that Jesus is repeating only what the Father is telling Him to say. These ideas are not his but the Father's. So, he is teaching people what the will of the Father is so they can do what is necessary to escape his wrath and judgement.

As I looked at these verses I thought I need to take a look at Jesus' saying: just what do they have to say? Then I took my red-lettered Bible and decided I am going through John and concentrate on red-lettered portions and see what principles are revealed therein. As I go through it, I want to share some insights - anyone want to go along for the ride and share yours as well? I know it is a mammoth undertaking but we have time, do we not? If I skip something you find inspiring, go ahead and say it.

To keep the thread orderly I suggest you put the reference of the scripture you are commenting on in the subject box.

Will see ya later...

2012/7/18 9:59Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: John 1:47-51

Opps! hit the wrong key!

2012/7/18 10:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John 1:47-51

John 1: 47-51: (NASB)

47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!”

48Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?” Jesus answered and said to him, “Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”

49Nathanael answered Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel.”

50Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these.”

51And He said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

COMMENT:

John 1 records Jesus' calling of his disciples. His calling of Nathanael is remarkable. Jesus rarely complemented anyone but when he did it worthwhile to take note what he said.

Notice how he described Nathanael: "in whom there is no deceit", or guile (KJV).

Guile: from Strong's
meer-maw'
From H7411 in the sense of deceiving; fraud: - craft, deceit (-ful, -fully), false, feigned, guile, subtilly, treachery.

Nathanael was an honest man. He did not work to make others believe something about himself that was not true. Think about that! How many times do we work to leave good impressions on others about ourselves? Ouch? Ouch.

Nate was genuine. Apparently a rarity in Israel during that time. Am I rare in my community? Am I known for being honest, always honest? Am I genuine?

The benefits of being honest, genuine, free of hypocrisy is that God will reveal Himself to you. WOW! It will be so rich you will even see "the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man". Do we in our souls and spirit see it? Understand it?

(We do not read where Nathanael saw this literally with his physical eyes - other then Jesus in the flesh - but I am assuming Jesus meant this to occur in his mind, his soul and spirit. It is from this perspective I am speaking.

God bless....what do you see in these verses? )

2012/7/18 10:37Profile
TMK

Re: John 1:47-51

"Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

Jesus is Jacob's ladder.

2012/7/18 11:46Profile
EverestoSama

Kobe, Japan

Re:

John is the most festal, midrashic, and over-all Jewish of the four Gospels, so this peaks my interest in particular for sure. I'm glad you started this thread Ginnyrose, as I think there will be a heap to glean from it.

It's late night and I don't have the energy to add to anthing you've said at the moement, but there is some interesting stuff going on with Nathaniel, the fig tree, and Jacob's ladder in the text for sure.

2012/7/18 13:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:

John is the most festal, midrashic, and over-all Jewish of the four Gospels,

I have said this many times to friends - John is a Jewish book. If you are going to tell a person who is ignorant of Jewish culture, you better advice them to read Luke, who I think was a gentile. It will become a challenge to mine the book but then I do not expect to be able to plunge its depth - and this is the beauty of studying the scriptures: there is new insights to be gleaned all the time. This always fills my mind and soul with awe.

Nathaniel: he was a Jew. For some reason I suspect the fact that there was no guile in him was very unusual. To top it off, he did not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - He was not yet given to the people. Amazing. But he must have been so very sincere.

The ladder:
Literal or figurative? Maybe it could be both?

I know when our daughter was called to glory, I experienced a joy that night that far surpassed any kind of emotional euphoria I have ever experienced - it went on for hours - did not time it, but it seemed like it. This was something the experts called a gift from the LORD. Did I see heaven? No. But I did experience a glimpse of the joy that must characterize what exists in heaven. Awesome, I promise. Yes, God was and is good.

BTW: I never experienced bitterness in her leaving that many do when their child dies. When talking to other people about terminal illness I insist they turn this thing over to the LORD they will resist it. I never could understand it. Do people love to wallow in self-pity? What is to be gained from it? - OK, end of rabbit trail.)

2012/7/19 10:53Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John 2:1-11 NASB

John 2:1-11 NASB

1 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there;

2 and both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.

3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”

4 And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come.”

5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”

6 Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each.

7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” So they filled them up to the brim.

8 And He said to them, “Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter.” So they took it to him.

9 When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom,

10 and said to him, “Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now.”

11 This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.

COMMENT:

I see here lessons in faith as demonstrated by Mary and the servants at this wedding reception.

Jesus had never performed a miracle in his life (v. 11). His mother knew Jesus likely like no other person. We do not know what he told her about his forthcoming ministry, in any case she believed he could do something, what? she likely did not know. But she believed he could help.

Whether Jesus approached the servants or whether they asked for assistance, it does not say, but we do know Mary TOLD the servants to do as he says and they did.

It took a lot of faith to fill these pots with water and then give it to the head waiter. If it was still water they risked being considered a fool. But they obeyed and were rewarded handsomely.

I see in this story a powerful lesson in the purpose of people being involved in evangelism. The question often comes to me is why should people risk their necks and fortunes to preach to people who do not want to be taught? The Bible says in Hebrews 8:10-11:

"FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

11“AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN,
AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, ‘KNOW THE LORD,’
FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME,
FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.

Why bother if God is going to do this?

Is it not true that God needs us to reaffirm his word to those he is convicting? What Jesus told these servants to do was totally absurd, but Mary said, "do it" and they did it. Without her urging would they have? Good question but likely not. Sometimes God tells people to do something the natural mind considers absurd, but when you follow through unimaginable blessings await.

When one partners with the Holy Spirit in witnessing we, too, will witness some of the glory that is revealed when one sees God working. Like these servants, people need a little push to get going.

2012/7/19 11:15Profile

Re:

Sister, this is an inspiring thread and one of my favorite books in the NT. John and Paul stand out most for their characters. They're men who's lives are a study in itself - which makes this Gospel extra special to me.
I look forward to this as it goes along and for EvertoSama to get into it. And others.

Good thinkin'. Thank you!

2012/7/19 11:26

Re: John 4:42

.......and we know that this msn really is the Savior of the world.

Actually this was why John was written. To show that Jesus is the Savior if the world. John is a universal gospel. Gentile or Jew can read this book and see who Jesus is.

This is why seekers and new believers are directed to John. To get to know Jesus in relationship.

Bearmaster

2012/7/19 11:37
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John 2:13-22

John 2:13-22 NASB

13The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14And He found in the temple those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables.

15And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables;

16and to those who were selling the doves He said, “Take these things away; stop making My Father’s house a place of business.”

17His disciples remembered that it was written, “ZEAL FOR YOUR HOUSE WILL CONSUME ME.”

18The Jews then said to Him, “What sign do You show us as your authority for doing these things?”

19Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

20The Jews then said, “It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”

21But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

22So when He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.

COMMENT:

It was Passover time in Jerusalem when many in Israel would go to the temple to offer their yearly sacrifice. For whatever reason, some folks saw this an opportunity to make money and where else but in the temple itself. There they set up - probably sounded like a sale-barn where animals are bought and sold - loud, noisy, and smelly. And this was the temple where people were to go pray, and bring their animal to the priest for an offering. It was to be a sacred place of worship. But they made it a house of merchandise. What a contrast!

I see Jesus walking up to the temple and being deeply grieved in spirit at what he saw; then making a cord and driving all these merchants with their animals out of the place. He had no regard for the money because it says he overturned their tables. I can imagine when folks saw this whip swinging around they did not stand around to debate him!

Anyhow...

Then some asked under what authority did you do this? He replied with "destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." Absurd, naturally. I see Jesus resorting to hyperbole to silence his critics.

What is our house of prayer? How have we allowed it to become a house of merchandise?

Personally, I find it unsettling in my spirit when I see people using the gospel for profiteering. They may say the right thing, but they are more interested in profits and performance. They have the appearance of ministry but it is more for show then ministry. (I suspect there is a tension between excellence in performance and ministry.) Since this troubles me, we rarely will attend any performance of this kind. So many of these performers' off-stage lifestyles have the appearance of carnality and this troubles me. Am I not by being there giving them approval of their lifestyle?

Worship, prayer is to come from the heart. It is to be given freely, entered into it freely. It involves my heart, mind, worship and love. No buying or selling. None. Jesus wants to preserve that sanctuary in our heart for Him alone - no buying or selling. Jesus cannot be bought or sold. His presence cannot be bought or sold. Clear the dross out that hinders this worship!

I suppose there are other rich lessons here that is eluding me at the moment, so what do you see?

2012/7/20 11:51Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy