SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : David Crowder Band, any others like him?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
rjennings

USA

Re:

Great question NoahJD!  I have been curious myself to what artists others listened to on this forum and I listen to most all mentioned thus far.  I like some of the music by David Crowder but had no idea about his emergent church affiliation. Anyone promoting  Brian McLaren has missed the mark.  Thanks Lkid for the info.

Keith Green is one of a kind.  I've worn out several sets of Ministry Years and am glad to have them digitally stored now.  :)

I still like the earlier Newsboys (Not Ashamed, Shine, Take Me To Your Leader) quite a bit and Delirious (their live stuff is phenomenal) and The Kry (You and What About Now are great releases).  

I know they were considered a Christian boy band but both True Vibe releases  are solid and one of my all time favorite quiet worship releases is David Teems' No Language But A Cry.  I attended AtlantaFest years back when Petra the final act and it was a miserably hot evening out in the amphitheater of SixFlags.  Bands were performing in rapid fire fashion except Petra.  They took their dear sweet time setting up to the extent that I thought a riot was going to break loose given the sweltering heat.  David Teems asked to lead a few songs until the band was ready and I must confess it was the highlight of the entire event.  

I like Jeremy Riddle as well.

I know that most of my list are a tad dated but they still frequent my playlist.

God bless!

2012/7/17 23:13Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re: David Crowder Band, any others like him?

I had never heard of John Michael Talbot but you all seemed to recommend him so I went to youtube and that's the first video I played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aYecuDlDYM

Granted, it's a beautiful song but have you listened to him talking in between? I have nothing against the man, just don't agree with him.

Do any of you know Ray Watson? I regularly listen to some song from "The Secret Place." "I will praise your love forever" never seems to lose the power of drawing me into worship. He also sings in tongues sometimes. I don't know much about the man himself though.

2012/7/18 0:13Profile
rjennings

USA

Re:

SolaVeritas, thank you for sharing Ray Watson.  I had never heard of him and enjoyed Secret Place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Q0ytKEUlo

I know that John Michael is trenched in Catholicism now - not always though - which obviously influences his music.  I still have him in my collection as some of his songs are tremendous.  I take all songs on their own merit and while I wish that every artist's song and life were rock solid I know that's unrealistic. 

As a friend of mine well stated "I approach all things Christian like I eat fish, I swallow the meat and spit out the bones".  :)

2012/7/18 0:50Profile
Lkid

Re:

Paul Baloche - all his stuff is great and his website leadworship.com has all his song tabs etc for free download and he posts youtube videos of how to play them. He is simple and Christ centered. Open the Eyes of My Heart, Our God Saves, Hallelujah, What a Savior (modern version) and Hosanna (Praise is Rising) and Today is the Day and the list goes on.

Stuart Townsend - He wrote In Christ Alone and How Deep the Father's Love For us.

Robin Mark is grest too.

Kari Jobe is good. She popularized Revelation Song but has also written some great songs too: The More I Seek You, I Know That You Are For Me, Healer.

many more. The thing about worship leaders and christian music is that bands can start out good but finish wrong, and vice versa. I'm concerned about Matt Redman and Chris Tomlin with where they are going. Their early stuff was all solid, but of late its getting more sensual. And some guys I like individual albums or songs because they are great but the rest of their stuff i could take it or leave, or simply leave it. I love the Jars of Clay Redemption Songs album that is a bunch of hymns redone with a good beat. Also, if i ever want to bless someone who is stressed out and needs to be ministered to through song I get them Chris Rice's CD Peace Like A Rive Hymn Project.

2012/7/18 1:03Profile
wijnand

Re:

I would be really careful with: Jason Upton, David Crowder, Misty Edwards, etc.

Really pray for it, ask for the leading of the Lord and be ready to never listen to it if the Lord show you that!

You can have a lot of questions about the groups where they are involved and the lyrics can be 'near biblical' and therefor be totaly fault.

Just be careful and seek the leading of the Lord!

some groups/people I like:
- Keith Green
- Sons of Korah
- Selah
- Jason Bellard
- Christ our live
- Robin Mark
- Stephanie Stables

2012/7/18 3:08Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Anything by Andrew Peterson is worthy of your time. "Love and Thunder" is one of my favorite all-time cds. Michael Card covered the song, "The Silence of God," from that album, so that tells you something.

Jason Gray has some incredible lyrics and fairly catchy music.

Jill Phillips and Carolyn Arends for both their music and lyrics.

2012/7/18 20:23Profile

Re:

I bought the Robin Mark CD Revival in Belfast. Thanks for the recommendation its pretty good.

If there are any more must haves please post. I want to start with the best first...

2012/7/18 20:33
kjcword

Re:

I love Robin Mark.
Other favorites:
The Prestonwood Choir
Shane & Shane
Sovereign Grace Music
Daniel Crews
Todd Agnew

2012/7/18 21:25Profile
joliboy11

Philippines

Re: David Crowder Band, any others like him?

check out sermonindex's Godly Music section:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=168

I recommend:
Jason Bellard
Follow the Lamb - Greg's wife recordings
COL - Christ Our Life
Abigail Miller

2012/7/18 22:22Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

Here is one I failed to mention. Again, a lot depends on a persons personal style preferences. However, here is one I enjoy a lot that is a bit outside the box of any mentioned.

They are called Broken Walls. They are Native American, mostly from Alaska. That would be called "First Nations" in Canada. They have a unique ability to blend powerful worship with music elements from their historic culture. I find it a refreshing style to listen to. They are solid in everything I have heard as well as doing some tremendously good ministry to the poorest areas amongst First Nations and Native American communities.

You may find that the style is, or is not, to your particular taste but give it a listen and see. They have lots of stuff on Spotify for free and I will include a youtube link to the song "Ride The Wind" to hear a sample.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF7VvoM9Vwo

http://brokenwalls.com/

Blessings

2012/7/19 22:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy