SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Gap fact or theory??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Gap fact or theory??

Gap fact or theory?? What are your thoughts??

2012/7/12 23:31Profile

Re: Gap fact or theory??

Do you mean the pre-Adamite creation gap theory?

2012/7/13 0:01
proudpapa

Re: EverestoSama

Brother EverestoSama asked //Do you mean the pre-Adamite creation gap theory? //

Yes, thankyou for better articulating it.

2012/7/13 0:03Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

My thoughts? The Lord is sovereign. :)

2012/7/13 0:10Profile

Re:

I'm not sure if we'd be talking about the same theory, as I don't know it all that well, but every version I've heard of that theory wouldn't line up with what Romans 5 says on the matter.

Romans 5:12

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—

I'm not sure how there could be millions of years of death happening before Adam, if death through sin began with Adam.

Most gap theorists IMO(except the ones that base their foundation on their own misunderstanding of the KJV's phrasing "replenish the earth" which originally meant 'fill for the first time')
are simply trying to rectify their Biblical beliefs with what Atheistic science demands that they believe. They feel the need to bow their knee to the ever changing "facts" that modern man demands that we believe (until they find out they're wrong and have to find a "better" theory) instead of taking the time honored approach of "Taking God at His Word".

Then again, like I said, maybe I'm talking about something totally different than what you mean.

2012/7/13 0:18
proudpapa

Re:

I am just asking for thoughts, I do not have a definate oppinion on the topic, Here is a good deffence of the view
http://nogreaterjoy.org/letters/gap-answered/

2012/7/13 0:21Profile
proudpapa

Hi, Brother EverestoSama you wrote // Most gap theorists IMO(except the ones that base their foundation on their own misunderstanding of the KJV's phrasing "replenish the earth" which originally meant 'fill for the first time')
are simply trying to rectify their Biblical beliefs with what Atheistic science demands that they believe. They feel the need to bow their knee to the ever changing "facts" that modern man demands that we believe (until they find out they're wrong and have to find a "better" theory) instead of taking the time honored approach of "Taking God at His Word".//

Here is what some of the artical said

The Jews of old recognized this obvious truth, that the earth was created sometime before Genesis 1:3. They had no reason to be biased one way or the other. They just believed the Hebrew text as it read and therefore believed in a “gap”. When I open up a commentary, unless it was written in the last twenty five years, I know that it is going to assume the reality of a gap. I went through the ones in my library and all but one recognized the gap. They are: The Bible Knowledge Commentary; A Commentary, Critical and Explanatory; The Wycliffe Bible Commentary; Jamieson, Fausset and Brown; and Bible Believer’s Commentary. None of them sought to insert evolution into the gap.
How did the gap fact fall into disfavor? When Christian scientists got serious about defending special creation, they found many “Christian” theistic evolutionists entrenched in what they called the “gap theory”. The Christian scientists sought to sweep away that argument by attacking the Biblical doctrine of the gap itself. Possibly they were not aware that it has been a well-established doctrine throughout Biblical history, for they speak as if they think it is a concept invented by theistic evolutionists. Nearly every publication on special creation, whether of magazines, pamphlets, or books, will take a swipe at “The Gap Theory.” This author greatly appreciates the many works published by these Christian scientists. They have done a wonderful job of challenging the evolutionists and providing the doubting Christians with scientific proof of special creation. Our thanks go out to them. But in their zeal to rid the theistic evolutionists of their “biblical” foundation, in this one instance they have trashed the Scripture with their “science.”
Let me be absolutely clear. By believing that the earth existed before the six days of creation and that it was inhabited by angels and cherubim, complete with plants and animals much like it is today, we are not suggesting that the earth is millions of years old or that God needed a great deal of time to bring about creation. The earth may be just ten years older than the six days of remaking. It could be a thousand or ten thousand years older. It is probably no more than 100,000 years older, but then that is only a “scientific” guess by one who is not a scientist. Certainly the earth was created with the appearance of age, no matter how old it is. This author is nothing more than a student of the Bible. The Bible doesn’t suggest that the earth is old. It just states that it existed prior to the six days of recreation. With the Bible speaking clearly, we don’t need science to support it, and we will not allow scientists — Christian or otherwise — to tell us differently. The evolutionists didn’t sway us by pointing to “science” and neither will we be swayed by the “science” of well-meaning but Biblically inaccurate Christian scientists. The old book will weather all the fads.”

http://nogreaterjoy.org/letters/gap-answered/

2012/7/13 0:25Profile
proudpapa

good point I had never thought of ,EverestoSama you wrote //Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—

I'm not sure how there could be millions of years of death happening before Adam, if death through sin began with Adam.//

But than I would ask, Had not Lucifer sinned before Adam??
It gets me to thinking, Thanks

2012/7/13 0:33Profile

Re:

I have no problem believing that the earth was in existence in some form of darkness. If that's what's meant by "gap" then, yes, sure, I believe in that Gap, as there's no timeline given.

Here's where we go off

"By believing that the earth existed before the six days of creation and that it was inhabited by angels and cherubim, complete with plants and animals much like it is today, we are not suggesting that the earth is millions of years old or that God needed a great deal of time to bring about creation. The earth may be just ten years older than the six days of remaking."

Now, they've gone beyond what's said anywhere in Scripture, and is purely speculation. YET even with that, the argument defies what is stated about death entering the world. Where did the plants, and animals go? Did they die? Romans 5 says the couldn't have. Did they go to heaven? I'd have to first see some sort of Scripture to see that they were created with heavenly bodies that were breathed into by God.

I find this particular Gap theory taken to this conclusion to be more in the land of speculation and fantasy than either scientific or Biblical.

Just my thoughts.

2012/7/13 0:38
proudpapa

Ya, I am not at a deffinate conclusion, you do make a good point about death, that I had never thought of.
What about lucifers fall when did that happen?

2012/7/13 0:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy