SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : The Guiding Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re: Jimp

Brother Jimp you wrote /len used to tell me about many who know the word of God but do not know the God of the word.jimp/

Amen, the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. The Scripture without the Spirit is nothing but a book of impossable to keep laws but it is words of Life to us that believe.

Edit. Pretty neat to know len that close.

2012/7/12 23:54Profile

Re:

@proudpapa

You're exactly right. David very well knew the Word of God (Torah), and had access to it, as it was taught to the people by the Levites in his day.

Look at his words in Psalm 119;

With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. With my lips I have told of All the ordinances of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word. Gimel. Deal bountifully with Your servant, That I may live and keep Your word. Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law (Torah in the Hewbrew). I am a stranger in the earth; Do not hide Your commandments from me. My soul is crushed with longing After Your ordinances at all times. (And it goes on and on praising and exhorting the Word of God and His law).

To say David did not have knowledge or access to the Bible of his day, wouldn't line up with the testimony of Scripture, the commandments of God in the Old Testament regarding the Torah, or the testimony of David himself.

The same David who wrote;

"for Thou hast magnified Thy word above all Thy name."

And thanks for starting this thread raphotai! It was a wonderful article, with a very true exhortation for every believer. We're going to especially need to pay attention to His Word in these last days we're in.

2012/7/12 23:55

Re:

Is it true the persecuted church values the word of God more than we in the west?

Bearmaster.

2012/7/13 7:28
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

Yep!

I am reminded of Psalm 119: 97 - 104.

Yesss!!! One of my personal favorite psalms! David couldn't have possibly survived the ordeals of I and II Samuel and the Chronicles without access to knowledge of the Torah. Or was it the Tanakh? Help me out here, saints!

Learn brings up a neat query: I would like to find a study on the Word that was available to the Old Testament saints.

If you know of any studies on such topic, please guide me.

Thank You,

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/7/13 13:14Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

I am persecuted at the hands of my own soul more often than I am by the hands of others. And when in the distressig throes of this more intimate type of spiritual oppression (self-inflicted) The Word has become my only link to sanity.

There is a hidden blessing behind the veil of persecution which inspires and motivates the follower of Christ to seek out the deeper waters of God's Word and delve in with more intensity.

Bearmaster, perhaps this may be true because persecution has a way of revealing the life and power in the Word in a more intimate way.

KP

2012/7/13 13:25Profile
Wonderer

Re: Is engagement with the Word necessary to salvation? by Issac harSon.

First time here. Hope this is the right way to enter the discussion. Let me know if not.

The Bible is not necessary for salvation. But the truth of it is. Simply knowledge of one's sin, and the knowledge of sin's payment by the blood of Christ. Faith in that alone is sufficient.

But how do you know what you are to do with it? Even if you do not have the scripture, the indwelling Spirit will guide you.

Interesting question.

2012/9/14 13:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy