SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : WHY the "TEA PARTY" is UNCHRISTIAN by Andrew Strom

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 WHY the "TEA PARTY" is UNCHRISTIAN by Andrew Strom

I write this as a conservative evangelical Christian. I am anti-abortion
and hold all the usual 'conservative' views. But I have come to believe
that the Tea Party is one of the most misguided and misleading
movements in America - especially since it claims to be so "Christian".

I saw a piece written by pro-Tea Party activist recently who quoted
statistics saying that the majority of Tea Party members are
evangelical Christians. He coined the term, "Teavangelicals". He
says they are going to have a new Awakening and "Take Back
America". I don't know what kind of "Awakening" he is talking
about, but it is very different from the true spiritual Awakenings of
the past. America certainly needs a Revival. But not the kind that
these guys are pushing. I believe it is a counterfeit of the real thing.
And if we fall for the counterfeit, then the true can be utterly lost.

So what exactly is the problem with the "Teavangelicals"? Below
is a very basic list of things that, in my view, make this movement
truly un-Christlike and unchristian:-

(1) -An Unhealthy Mixing of Christianity with Nationalism-.
When you "wrap the cross in the flag" so-to-speak, you instantly
distort the entire message and essence of Christianity. You are
taking two totally different "kingdoms" and mixing them together.
Jesus said: "My kingdom is not of this world." So in mixing
Christianity with Nationalism, you are totally distorting what His
kingdom truly stands for. Thus you get "Patriotic" actions such
as saluting the flag or the Pledge of Allegiance being seen as
"Christian" things to do. Marching off to war becomes a "Christian"
activity. The two "kingdoms" are being completely confused. There
is a great deal of this happening in the church in America right
now - and the Tea Party is really pushing it. -Utterly distorting
what real Christianity is all about.

(2) -Being Basically the Biggest Supporters of WAR in America-.
(This is closely related to # 1). One US commentator seriously
stated that without the support of the American Christians the war
would be over much quicker - because they are the staunchest
and strongest supporters of War in the whole country. Now, can
you imagine Jesus being like this? Can you imagine Him telling
his disciples, "I want you to support military invasions and the
shooting, killing and destroying of thousands of people"? -Because
that is what WAR is. Does it sound "Christian" to you? Can we
find anywhere in the New Testament where true Christians had
this attitude? NO! They wouldn't have dreamed of being the biggest
supporters of War in their generation! Just think what a terrible
testimony this is today - to all the unbelievers who are watching.
How un-Christlike. No wonder they call us "War-mongers".

(3) -Siding with the Rich and Against the Poor-. This is the exact
opposite of Jesus - as we see again and again in the gospels and
the entire New Testament. Pay close attention to the following
words of Christ- "Woe to you that are rich, for you have received
your comfort" (Lk 6:24), "How hard it is for a rich man to enter the
kingdom of heaven" (Mt 19:23) and "You cannot serve God and
Money." (Mt 6:24). Jesus also said: "Blessed be you poor, for
yours is the kingdom of heaven" (Lk 6:20) and "I have come to
preach good news to the poor" (Lk 4:18).

Can you imagine Jesus coming across like today's "Tea Party"
Christians - where they seem utterly against the cause of the poor,
and totally for the Rich and the 'Big Money' interests? Perhaps we
have forgotten that Big Business exists largely for MAMMON and
GREED. Can anybody tell me anything "Christian" about that?

(4) -HEALTH CARE - Denying it to the Needy-. (-Related to # 3).
I am not talking about "ObamaCare" here. I have no comment on
ObamaCare one way or the other. What I am talking about is a
general attitude amongst Christians. I cannot tell you the number
of emails that I've gotten from believers who want to deny poor
uninsured Americans any decent Health Care. (I guess because
they are lower-class and can't afford it).

Do you know that millions and millions of Americans are being
denied basic Health coverage that is totally taken for granted in
other countries? And that it is the CHRISTIANS who want to deny
it to them? And do you know that there are multitudes of Americans
who wind up bankrupt or losing their home simply because they
can't pay their medical bills? Does that sound like a "Christian"
ideal to you? Does it sound like something that believers should
be fighting for? -Fighting on the side of Big Business against the
"little people" who can't afford to pay? What kind of "Christianity" is that?

(5) -Pushing the Idea that "Political" Answers can Solve America's
Problems-. To me, this is the worst deception of all - the idea that
America's problems can mainly be solved with "Political" activism,
or a change of government, or a new President. The USA's problems
are almost entirely SPIRITUAL. It is because she has lost her way
SPIRITUALLY that is causing all the other problems. And to get
the Christians all caught up in a "Political" movement is a total
distraction. A PRAYER movement - Yes! A "Political" movement -
NO! It will not solve the problems in any real way at all. In fact, it
is like a "counterfeit" Awakening - to push the Christians into
Political activism instead of focusing on the SPIRITUAL. It is like
a false savior - a "pseudo" solution. The problems in America are
Spiritual - and they need Spiritual answers. Not this "counterfeit"
that gets everybody caught up in Political fights.

In summary, I want to say that I believe that many of the attitudes
and behaviours of the "Tea Party" evangelicals in America are
totally un-Christlike and unchristian. They come across as ugly,
mean-spirited and anger-filled. It is awful to see real believers
caught up in anything so unlike Jesus.

I would like to challenge every Christian reading this to forward it
to your conservative friends. Tell them to come and meet me over
at our discussion board, if they think they can prove me wrong.
I am open. If they think they can prove from the New Testament
that Christians should be thinking and behaving the way these
"Tea Party" people behave, then let them come. I will be waiting.
THE CHALLENGE is LAID DOWN.

2012/7/10 12:40Profile

Re: WHY the "TEA PARTY" is UNCHRISTIAN by Andrew Strom

Oooohhh kaaay. I am just a little confused.. Is not our brother an Aussie? Or from down under? While I certainly share his sentiments. Why is he getting riled up over an American political party?

Brarnadter.

2012/7/10 13:02

These "political Christians" ARE the excuse the world will use to persecute Christians world-wide and Andrew listed many of the reason why. There are more reasons caused by political activism that I've seen - but what he wrote is needed - though I doubt, from personal experience, that neither this or any other words will dissuade those that I encounter on a daily basis.

They love this present evil world and the things in it. Are not citizens of Heaven in their minds and worship 'freedom' and the constitution over & above His Word of taking up their cross and following Him daily.
And some will even kill to maintain their place in this world for that reason - yet tell the world that it's their "God given unalienable right".

The LORD giveth and The LORD taketh away.
When a country is Godly - it's leaders will do what's right.
This country and the entire world is so depraved now - it's just a matter of time before the innocent as well as the guilty are under captivity and worse.

We are being misrepresented world-wide by those that call themselves by His Name and we'll bear the consequences of their words and actions - no way around or out of it.

We can 'try' to reason with "patriots" for their lifes' sake, though it will cost us ours.

Thank you, Brothers!

2012/7/10 13:33
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Oooohhh kaaay. I am just a little confused.. Is not our brother an Aussie? Or from down under? While I certainly share his sentiments. Why is he getting riled up over an American political party?

Brother Andrew has ministered in america for MANY years and has had a great burden for america. He was close to even staying and becoming a citizen I believe at one point. He loves and really has a burden for Christians in America.

I believe the danger is that political engagement of Christians over engagement to the kingdom of God can leave the church powerless and devoid of its power. We are to build up the "church" spiritual and not try and christianize nations and institutions. I do believe it is not bad for society to be morally changed because of Christians as the salt of the earth.

But in no means is our goal to Christianize nations or countries. That is what religious systems do that are not "led of God to do so". If a president of the country or many in leadership become christian that is fine and we rejoice but we never control controls as the body of Christ. We are a separate "nation" a separate "kingdom" with a king over it: Jesus Christ our Lord.

The church of Jesus Christ is so very weak in America and when evangelicals give their strength and time to support a political party even as admirable as it is, it is a sad thing. We must be about the work of the kingdom of God, praying, sharing Christ with others and seeing them born again of the Spirit and added to the church spiritually.

Revival does not come any other way. We must seek to see Jesus Christ as the true head of the Church again and not led society dictate to us how to live as Christians.

We stay away from political discussions on the forums but I feel a "right political discussion" is to convince believers that we are of a spiritual kingdom and not one of this earth and our engagement to the earthly kingdom needs to be "minimal" compared to the heavenly one.

2012/7/10 15:22Profile

Re:

Brother Andrew makes many good points in his piece. I say amen to it.............bro Frank

2012/7/10 15:32
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

Brother Andrew has ministered in america for MANY years and has had a great burden for america. He was close to even staying and becoming a citizen I believe at one point. He loves and really has a burden for Christians in America.

Yes. Andrew lived in KC from early 2004 until the later half of 2006. He held many meetings here and cofounded a homeless ministry for a while. He lived here for about 4 years give or take and is quite familiar with the US.

2012/7/10 16:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

While I understand the sentiment which Brother Andrew Strom is sharing, I strongly disagree with some of his points and the basis for his conclusion.

Disclaimer: I do not consider myself a "Tea Party" advocate at all. I have never attended a "Tea Party" rally. I have never aligned myself with the "Tea Party" in any official capacity.

One problem that I have with the scrutiny of believers who participate in voicing an opinion or selection of workers in this unique "government of the people and by the people" is that there is a common accusation that such individuals believe that "political answers can solve America's problems" (Andrew's point #5). The believers that I know who understand the issues are completely aware of the SPIRITUAL needs in this country and that they are NOT solved by political means.

America -- like the rest of the world -- has a SPIRITUAL problem. The people of America need to cry out to Jesus Christ. Period. There is no doubt in that.

At the same time, there are practical seemingly "worldly" standards by which we often consider issues of morality/immorality and righteousness/unrighteousness. An unsaved person or a collective nation can hold a moral or righteous position on an issue even without realizing the spiritual basis for it.

When I was a teenager, I spent many weekends ministering in the government projects located in my town. One day, I spoke with a pregnant woman who admitted that she was about to have an abortion. I explained the spiritual reasons why abortion is wrong, but she didn't understand those reasons (for they are spiritually discerned). However, I also mentioned the physical process of an abortion to that woman. A couple of weeks later, I saw that woman again. She did not have her scheduled abortion. I had hoped that it was because of the spiritual reasons that I gave. However, she told me that the reason she didn't have her abortion was because of my description about how developed her child was at this point in gestation and how I had told her that she wouldn't be able to ever know how her son would turn out.

Abortion is a sin. Yet, it is also a policy.

There are two ways to deal with abortion.

On a spiritual plane, we present Christ to others. We should be doing this ALL OF THE TIME! A consequence of what happens when individuals meet the Lord is that they will give up any embrace of abortion because they know the heart of our Creator.

Simultaneously, on a public policy plane, we can choose individuals who oppose abortion for service positions (from local servants to the White House). While they may not necessarily be believers, they take a moral or righteous position on an issue that has a spiritual basis.

In this article, Andrew is meandering into issues of public policy (like government health care) even while simultaneously proclaiming the spiritual basis. This is no different than what believers who vote in elections do. They educate themselves in issues and prayerfully vote according to a clear conscience before God.

Knowingly or not, Brother Andrew is taking positions on issues that are based in policy. Unfortunately, he is stating a very surface-level perspective which inadvertently insinuates that those who are opposed to government health care mandates are somehow in favor of denying health care to the poor. This is a light yet incorrect perception of a very deep problem. There is no question about a need to help the poor. When we are instructed to help the poor in the Scriptures, we aren't told to give it to Rome to disperse among the poor. We are told to proactively and cheerfully give from ourselves directly to those in need (and not by compulsion or through a government mediator).

Thus, a major issue is about the extent of the government's involvement (or mandates) to "help the poor" and whether or not a particular plan is the best way to accomplish it. In terms of the current health care legislation, it isn't even about the government's roll in helping the poor but in the government's mandate that people BUY insurance. I know Christian doctors who are opposed to current health care regulation (that often PREVENTS them from helping the poor) yet believe in helping them in other ways. One doctor that I know travels to Mexico or off-shore (via Mercy Ships) where doctors aren't bound to strict regulations in order to administer simple, life-altering care. So, the issue on Point #4 isn't quite so simple as "Christians want to deny health care to the poor."

One very important thing to remember is that the "Tea Party" is not a massive organized entity like the NAACP, LULAC, or an organized political party. It is more or less a movement with little oversight. The binding belief for the "Tea Party" derives from the original Boston Tea Party in 1773 concerning the concept of "taxation without representation." Most individuals who identify themselves with some of the issues raised by the "Tea Party" movement (including a few believers here on SermonIndex) are upset with tax dollars being raised and spent by elected government officials on policies, procedures and other things that are contrary to the views of the people who they are supposed to represent. For instance, many do not want their tax dollars spent on the abortion of babies (like it will be expanded "for the poor" under the recent health care legislation).

I agree that there are individuals who exhibit attitudes and behaviors that are quite unchristian or do not reflect the heart of Christ. Yet, that is true in many Churches (and even Christian web forums) too. I have known "spiritual" individuals who will grow extremely angry and even talk behind the backs of others if a person doesn't embrace the things that they teach proclaim. Now, I don't think that it is correct to judge or stereotype an entire movement or organization -- no matter of how loosely it is organized -- based upon the views of a few that are repeatedly demonstrated on the news. It would be like considering SermonIndex to be a community of Calvinists because a few members have boldly and loudly proclaimed their views as such.

I could go through each point that Brother Andrew presents, such as the allegations or stereotypes that the Tea Party is "pro-war" (there is a big difference between war for wars' sake or believing in justice or national defense via military actions), or that Christians are meandering into "Nationalism" when they hold to issues that might also be embraced by Tea Party people.

I don't know the extent of Brother Andrew Strom's knowledge of the people who are involved in the Tea Party. I don't know if he has firsthand knowledge or has an opinion that is based upon things that he read in newspapers, online or watched on television news.

I will say that a Tea Party rally was held just across the Bay from us -- in a very Liberal area that is hostile toward Conservatives and Christians -- and the reporters commented that they can't recall a rally that was ever so peaceful, clean and where people just got along. That same rally was presented on another station as being "fringe," "radical" and "extreme." A few weeks later, there was a homosexual "pride" rally -- completely with all manners of ungodliness, immorality and nudity -- in San Francisco and no members of the media (that I read) mentioned words like "fringe," "radical" or "extreme."

Now, I am not telling anyone to go out and join Tea Parties or other political, moral or social causes. I am just saying that I believe that it is possible to see this world as needing Jesus Christ while also understanding that this fallen world doesn't know that it needs Christ or that Christianity is the basis for morality and righteousness (which exalts a nation). I believe that it is possible to know Christ and seek His face in regard to any participation in this world in which we live (temporarily).

2012/7/10 20:02Profile

Re: Chris

You failed to show your points from scripture. I believe the brother asked someone to show him from the New Testament why the Tea Party is Christian.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/10 20:28
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Bearmaster,

I didn't say that the "Tea Party" is Christian. That wasn't my claim nor the essence or point of my post. Nor was I attempting to take up Brother Andrew Strom's "challenge" either.

This is especially true because it would be incorrect to label or stereotype any group -- from the Tea Party to the Boy Scouts to a local congregation to the Church as a whole -- based upon a perception derived from the purported conduct of a few.

However, I could go through individual policy positions that the Tea Party groups embrace and how they reflect a Christian view of morality over immorality and righteousness over unrighteousness.

I think that we can agree of a need to PRAY diligently and fervently before we make any decisions (such as voting) or involve ourselves in any group. This, I believe, is more helpful than trying to impose our own interpretations, opinions or wide-reaching and imposing limits that we would spread according to a personal conclusion for such situations.

2012/7/10 20:42Profile

Re:

I agree Bearmaster, Chris failed to even come close to adressing the points that Andrew made. Its not good enough, nor ever has been to use the argument " well I dont know anyone who thinks like this." It such a limited argument. It is, of course, limited to those who " you know." Which could be two or ten or maybe even 20. I know that Andrew has travelled all over this country in his mi nistry when he lived here. That is why he made usch an interesting speaker at the Wales conference, simply because he had travelled all over Africa for months and had seen first hand, time and time again, all the evils of the prosperity gospel. And quite aside from all that, his points are biblicaly sound.............bro Frank

2012/7/10 20:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy